What kind of truck do I need? 40'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyD630

Now when I say What kind of truck do I need? I meen the capacity not Ford or Chevy or Dodge. Here are the specs off of the website for the trailer. I am looking at 08 Ford F-350's but am indescriminant with trucks. I would rather not get a Dodge though. If I can pull this with a non dully that would be my prefrance. I am also finding a lot of used trucks that people have lifted. I have seen some fixes for this like lifting the trailer. Is there a safe hight that it can be lifted and not need to lift the trailer? What is efected with towing capacity when the tow rig is lifted?

Shipping Weight 13367
Carrying Capacity 3133
Hitch 2720
Length 40'
Width 8' 6
Height 13' 4
Fresh Water 139
Waste Water 43
Gray Water 86

With an 18K pound GVWR fiver your pin weight will be at least 3600 pounds.  That is right at the top of most new 1 ton DRW trucks.  Personally for that much trailer I would be looking for a 450/4500 series dually and nothing less.

A lifted vehicle will not be safe towing that much weight. You're in the F-450 range, and I'd get a dually, even though you'd rather have an SRW.

Not sure where donn got 18K.... ttyR2, can  you post which make/model RV you are looking at?

Here is a link to the 2008 Ford towing guide.  It will be helpful to look up the specifics.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2008/2008_default.asp

Looking at a 2008 F350 SRW 4x4, the "max towing" number listed is 14,400, and increases to 14,900 on a 4x2.  The RV you listed is out of range of those trucks.

Also, you need to pay attention to the payload.  From what I've seen, the Ford F350's are usually the highest (above Dodge/Chevy).

One last thing - on the F450, you don't really gain a substantial amount of payload capacity. From the numbers I've Googled on the 2008 (5720 on an F350 and 6120 on the F450) you get far much higher numbers on the max trailer and GCWR.

In fact on the 2012, the payload on the F450 is LOWER (5260 on the F450 vs 5990 on the F350!).  Check it out:

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/payload/

Phil Hyde said:
Not sure where donn got 18K.... ttyR2, can  you post which make/model RV you are looking at?

well, lets see,
13367 plus the carrying capacity of 3133 equals..........16,500 pounds!  If you add the pin weight to that it is 19,200 pounds.  So by any conservative calculation the OPs trailer could weigh ready to camp somewhere between 16 and 18K pounds.
Not to mention 40 feet of RV.
Like I said before he needs a F450/4500 series truck for that monster.

donn said:
well, lets see,
13367 plus the carrying capacity of 3133 equals..........16,500 pounds!  If you add the pin weight to that it is 19,200 pounds.  So by any conservative calculation the OPs trailer could weigh ready to camp somewhere between 16 and 18K pounds.
Not to mention 40 feet of RV.
Like I said before he needs a F450/4500 series truck for that monster.
The pin weight should be part of the "shipping weight", but that still leaves a GVWR of about 16,500 lbs.

Why would you add the pin weight to the shipping weight?  ???

I'm not arguing against a conservative calculation.  I would use the 16,500 plus the water.

Sorry, Molaker beat me to it!  ;D

2012 Ford/Dodge DRW will handle that weight.  I'd be more concerned about the pin weight, however.

Molaker said:
The pin weight should be part of the "shipping weight", but that still leaves a GVWR of about 16,500 lbs.

Indeed.  The "pin weight" of a trailer is simply that portion of the trailer weight which is borne by its pin on the truck hitch mechanism.    It generally runs about 20% of the trailer weight.  It should not be a part of traler GVWR vs. truck tow rating calculations.

Not a clue on 08', our 2011 I'm good for 21500, the F450 with the right gears goes up 3k.  Think this beast of a trailer your looking at is going to require at least a F350 DRW Diesel, maybe more...  That is a lot of gear there!

Even my 02 Dodge 2500 could pull that... (Trailer Weight Rating 20,000#)

But I would suggest a DRW truck over a single for that much weight!

Phil, It is a 2009 Keystone Fuzion 393, Doesn't the 3133 cover the water and all of the gear? A couple guys add the 2 numbers together than say don't forget about your gear and water.

Phil Hyde said:

Here is a link to the 2008 Ford towing guide.  It will be helpful to look up the specifics.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2008/2008_default.asp

Looking at a 2008 F350 SRW 4x4, the "max towing" number listed is 14,400, and increases to 14,900 on a 4x2.  The RV you listed is out of range of those trucks.

Also, you need to pay attention to the payload.  From what I've seen, the Ford F350's are usually the highest (above Dodge/Chevy).

One last thing - on the F450, you don't really gain a substantial amount of payload capacity. From the numbers I've Googled on the 2008 (5720 on an F350 and 6120 on the F450) you get far much higher numbers on the max trailer and GCWR.

In fact on the 2012, the payload on the F450 is LOWER (5260 on the F450 vs 5990 on the F350!).  Check it out:

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/payload/

TommyD630 said:
Phil, It is a 2009 Keystone Fuzion 393, Doesn't the 3133 cover the water and all of the gear? A couple guys add the 2 numbers together than say don't forget about your gear and water.

It's unclear to me from the Keystone website, but I would think the carrying capacity is for "stuff".  The label in my Zeppelin breaks out the water capacities separate from cargo ("stuff").

From what I can glean on the Google-net, the GVWR is 16,500.  Using the 20% rule*, which gives 3300lb of pin weight, the overly conservative calculation says to look for a truck with a payload capacity of 3300+people+fuel+stuff.  This really puts you in 1-ton territory.

*their advertised hitch weight is 20% of their advertised shipping weight.

The carrying capacity is for everything carried in/on the trailer. Doesn't make any difference if it is water or gear or food. The shipping weight is dry - no water or propane onboard, and obviously no personal gear either. So the GVWR is 16,500.

The hitch (pin) weight will exceed the 2720 figure when the trailer is loaded - the 2720 is only for the trailer at its dry weight. Figure the pin will have to carry at least 20% of the loaded weight, so may be as much as 3300 lbs.  When that is added to the trucks own weight and passengers, it is going to exceed the rear axle carrying capacity (GAWR) of all the SRWs I know of. A DRW typically gives an extra 1000 lbs axle & tire capacity and is definitely the way to go with that much weight on the back.

Mopar1973Man said:

I gotta call BS on that.  From all the research I have done, your truck has a gross COMBINED weight rating of 20,000.  With an 8,000 lb truck, your max trailer weight would be 12,000.

lone_star_dsl said:
Mopar1973Man said:

I gotta call BS on that.  From all the research I have done, your truck has a gross COMBINED weight rating of 20,000.  With an 8,000 lb truck, your max trailer weight would be 12,000.

I don't think MoparMan was saying it would be "legal"... but we all know that people routinely exceed the "legal" limits.  ;D

So a 1 ton DRW or bigger? F450 or 4500 Chev? Has anyone seen guys running a Kodiak. They are about the same price.

An typical F350 DRW diesel usually has a 16,000 lb trailer tow rating, but you can get it with a 3.73 rear axle that bumps it to around 20,000. That would be fine. That configuration is hard to find in a used truck, but if shopping new it's just a matter of ordering what you need.  You want a tow rating of around 17,500 or more to be sure you can tow a 16,500 lb trailer plus passengers and gear in the truck.

The Kodiac 4500 or 5500 (and its GMC Top Kick badge-brother) would do fine too.

With the prices I saw I am looking at 2006-2008 and am wanting to spend as little as possible of course. 20-30 for a standard DRW or 30-40 for something like a Kodiak.

You can probably pick up a used medium duty truck for $10k or maybe even less. It won't have as many creature comforts as a nice pick-up, but it will certainly haul that trailer!

If you are shopping for a used one truck, you need to make yourself an expert in truck configurations, cause most sales people won't have the knowledge at that level of detail. Download the truck  towing capacity charts from Trailer Life Magazine site and from Ford - they both have years 2006-2008 available online. And Karl Tyler Chevrolet has most of the previous years Chevy brochures online as well.
http://www.karltylerchevrolet.com/guide/brochures/

You will probably have to learn how to measure wheel base  and check rear axle ratios too.  It's extra effort, but necessary if you want to stay with a one ton (350/3500) truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom