fulltime newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisntodd

We have been thinking about turning fulltimers for awhile now. We are about
to move and just about at that point where you say "ok, here we go!". But we
have a few newbie questions!

- Anyone care to share their monthly expenses?

- The RV Parks we've contacted say we pay a monthly fee + elec + taxes.
About how much would the elec run?

- I am active duty and will be stationed in Omaha, NE. Gets pretty cold
there, is fulltiming in Nebraska doable?

- We were thinking about just setting up at a lot and staying put for 3-6
months at a time, then we read that is not good on the RV (oil, gas, etc).
How often should the RV be "driven"?

- Is an aircard the best internet option?

Think thats it for now, but we'll continue to read!

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for your service.

** We spend about $900/mo on park rental and perhaps $40+ on electric. That could be reduced significantly since we are in Ft. Myers FL. I'd plan on $500 or so rent by the month (or $30-45 if by the night). Food and etc. are not different from an apartment.

** See above.

** You may be pushing it and certainly should plan on high propane expenses - ~$300-400+/mo. in addition to the above. RV's are not well insulated. You may also have a problem finding open parks in the winter that far North. I'd check in advance.

** People stay at parks for 3-4 months all the time (and park for half a year empty; certainly harder on the RV than using it). I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a generator, it should be exercised under load about once a month (for an hour or so) to ensure the alternator is dry. I usually start the engine about every two months just in case.

** That what we use, but many parks have reasonable wireless and you might get lucky. If you move much, I'd get the card.

Hope this helps,

Ernie

lisntodd said:
We have been thinking about turning fulltimers for awhile now. We are about
to move and just about at that point where you say "ok, here we go!". But we
have a few newbie questions!

I have been full timing for 9 years. I had a three month period where I was living on $600 a month. It is possible to live that cheaply if you park on public lands and use very little electricity.
I have paid as low as $45 for a month of electricity. I spent all last summer in Kingman Arizona where it was 105 every day. My electricity was 11 cents a KW and my highest electricity bill was $120 for a month.
It would be possible but not very likely. The average low temp in Omaha is 16 in December, 12 in January and 18 in February. In January the average high is 32. This would mean you would have to have your water systems winterized or the pipes would freeze and cause lots of damage to the plumbing system. This means you would not be able to use your water systems. RVs are not very well insulated so you would need a bunch of electric heaters just to keep the place above freezing and you would be running your furnace 24/7. It does not sound very inviting to me.
I would drive mine on a weekly basis
I think so. I have had one for 4 years and love it.

hi zzyzx,

how can i learn more about the rules for camping on public land?

ty!

sb/gari

Check out FamCamp there on base. Their fees also cover your electricity. When we stay at a Fam Camp, we usually use Electric to heat with as well as your built in heaters. Old coach had heat strips in the Air conditioners and propane. We rarely used the propane heaters, and used a couple of elect heaters as well as the heat strips. New coach uses Aqua Hot system plus 4 built in electric heaters. Thermostats are set to use mostly the Electric heaters, with the Aqua Hot set to come on 5 degrees below the Electric heaters. If your wife is handy with a sewing machine, she can sew up some heavy fabric skirting to attach around the rig with either snaps or turn attachments. Have her sew in pockets at the bottom of the skirting to accept 2 inch dia. PVC schedule 40 tubing. We cut ours to lengths that would fit the storage compartments. A 60 watt drop cord under the skirting works wonders keeping the water and waste water from freezing.

Lee

M1894 - don't I have to be military or retired or a reserve or work for the DOE to camp there?  Sadly (or happily maybe) I am none of those.  Maybe I am missing something? 

sb

Sorry, surfingbodi, I thought I was replying to the original poster when I suggested Fam Camp on base. I should have qualified my statements.

Lee

how can i learn more about the rules for camping on public land?

Hi Gari -

Camping on public lands is administered by either BLM (Bureau of Land Management) or the Forest Service.

Free camping is available in "dispersed camping" areas - public land where you can camp in undeveloped areas instead of in developed campgrounds.

The basic rule is most public land is available for dispersed camping unless it's posted "No Camping" or otherwise in use.  You're allowed to stay at a single site for up to 14 days in a 28 day period, then you have to move at least 25 miles to reset the clock.  Pack in everything you need (water, food, etc.) then pack everything out (sewage, garbage, etc.).  In other words, leave no trace.

Most dispersed camping is in desert areas like Southern CA, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and Utah that have large BLM holdings.  Not so much is available in the other western states.

Forest Service rules vary from one district to the next but many National Forests also allow dispersed camping.

Look on the individual state websites for each of these agencies for more information.  Unfortunately, they don't have uniform structure from one state to the next, so the easiest answer is to Google "dispersed camping" and "boondocking" and start reading.

To get you started, here's the Arizona BLM Camping page.

Thank you Lou!  This is fantastic and really what I am looking for - not for all the time but maybe about 1/2 so it is great to know it is available and especially since NM will be my primary home.  I was really hoping to avoid having to buy any land, especially in the beginning and then of course there are the occupation laws to deal with if too close to a town or city.

sb

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom