Opinions on 2004 Sun Cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMan508

Have any forum members had a 2004 Sun Cruiser?  I'm looking at this one with 34k miles and would like some opinions:

http://www.flaggrv.com/rv/itasca/classagas/3673/Itasca_Suncruiser_35U

I know they will take $50k for it.

Nada:  Base Price: $128,292 Low retail $45,870 High retail $55,260

The dealer didn't go look for me but thinks the CCC is 2800lbs.

Thanks,

Eric

Definitely a better deal than the 2004 Brave. At $50,000, I think it is still a little high, but not too bad. I think you would enoy the floor plan.

We have the 2005 Adventurer which is similar to the Itasca Suncruiser.  The one you posted has a nice floorplan and subtle coloring...something you can easily live with.  So that's a start...then time to check out all the mechanical aspects, exterior finish, etc.  I would definitely check the tire build date to see if they are original and thus by this time need replaced...if they do...there goes about $3,500-$4,000 right after the purchase of the MH.

M.

I know this isn't close to you, but neither is Florida....

http://www.atkinsrv.com is not far from me here in Michigan. I have never been there, but whenever I go to their website I'm impressed with their pricing. If I had $30K- $50K to spend, I'd be tempted by a few of the units they have right now.

And more on topic. Love our 2004 Adventurer. If this one is in good shape, it could definitely be something to consider.

I have a '04 38R and I wouldn't take $50K for it but it is significantly bigger than the 35 and possibly has more "stuff" because I've updated some things.  My base (retail) price was about $20K more so I would imagine the resale is probably in the 60-75K range.  Anyway, I've enjoyed mine and have had not a single engine problem with it (I upgraded it to the Ultrapower system).  I have the W22 chassis and never had a brake problem.  The only problems I've had have involved systems from other vendors (Mw, fridge hose, bad WeatherPro antenna, etc).  I suspect that $50K is a very good price for a very good motorhome.

Eric - we are very much enjoying our suncruiser
(bought it new in Feb 2010)
primarily, it was the floor plan that sold us
good luck!
pdq

EMan508

We love our '05 Suncruiser so I think you'll like the 04' as well! Of course there have been a few problems (like 3 shurflo waterpumps for instance), but the Winnebago coach build quality is really top notch-just look at the cabinetry. Our 37B has the separate living zones with the larger bedroom & 2 stuffed chairs and is 38' so we can both have our own space when we want. Only gripe is the bottleneck of four doors in the bathroom area.

We bought this when it was a year old with 3,500 miles and now it has 52K miles (or should I say "smiles" on it). I keep it inside and maintain it well-but it rewards me with great performance. I think the 8.1 and Allison are the best gas power combination. If you're lucky enough to also have the optional Workhorse W24 chassis you won't need to worry about the brakes.  Money well spent was the replacement of the standard Billstein shocks with the Koni's-no comparison in ride quality! It used to crash & bang over bridge approaches, now just a thump. Pricey but worth every penny in my opinion.

Good luck and IMO the miles don't matter much. I use only 1/4 quart of 5w-30 synthetic engine oil every 2000 miles. As stated above tires are a different item-mine are now 8 years old and I'll replace them before heading out west later this year. I think it's a good price on that if it's nice. It may be unrealistic but I'd have to have around $80K to part with this one.
Gene

sheltie said:
I have a '04 38R and I wouldn't take $50K for it but it is significantly bigger than the 35 and possibly has more "stuff" because I've updated some things.  My base (retail) price was about $20K more so I would imagine the resale is probably in the 60-75K range.  Anyway, I've enjoyed mine and have had not a single engine problem with it (I upgraded it to the Ultrapower system).  I have the W22 chassis and never had a brake problem.  The only problems I've had have involved systems from other vendors (Mw, fridge hose, bad WeatherPro antenna, etc).  I suspect that $50K is a very good price for a very good motorhome.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2004/Itasca/M-38G-WKHRS++-38/Standard-Equipment

Don't add on any "options" and you come up with low retail of $49,760, high retail of $59,955.  A person would be considered lucky to sell this unit at $50,000, especially with a "performance enhancement".  I also used 35,000 miles in the above, and if there are more miles, the values drops about 5%.  Trade in value would be about low retail minus approx 15%.

I had the Ultrapower ECM tune, and was finally able to receive a refund on it.  The "butt dyno" wasn't there, and I value my engine more than the $700 for the ECM tune.  I also don't believe telling prospective buyers that you have an ECM tune will help sell a unit, as it will turn most buyers away.  ;)

If they put on new tires and new batteries I would consider it a fairly good deal, especially if the would give you some kind of warranty on the coach side of things, perhaps 30 days.

EMan508 said:
Have any forum members had a 2004 Sun Cruiser?  I'm looking at this one with 34k miles and would like some opinions:

http://www.flaggrv.com/rv/itasca/classagas/3673/Itasca_Suncruiser_35U

I know they will take $50k for it.

Nada:  Base Price: $128,292 Low retail $45,870 High retail $55,260

The dealer didn't go look for me but thinks the CCC is 2800lbs.

Thanks,

Eric

Check on the CCC.  I suspect it's closer to $1,800 lbs as it would be built on the W-22 most likely.

Other than that, it looks like its priced right at average retail, and the dealer most likely has about $40K in it.

Hi Ho:  Well, we have certainly enjoyed ours and have lots of extra stuff.  For example, we just added a 32 inch 1080P HD TV with theater 5.1 surround sound, BluRay,  and powered subwoofer etc.  Also have seven new H-rated Michelins that are just a year old and new batteries.    Why am I telling you this?  Well, we haven't listed it yet, but we just bought a new (to us) coach and will be selling ours.  It will be sad to see our 2000 SunCruiser go, but will be selling it for about $35,000.  Drop me a line if you are interested.

Dirk

FrontrangeRVer said:
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2004/Itasca/M-38G-WKHRS++-38/Standard-Equipment

Don't add on any "options" and you come up with low retail of $49,760, high retail of $59,955.  A person would be considered lucky to sell this unit at $50,000, especially with a "performance enhancement".  I also used 35,000 miles in the above, and if there are more miles, the values drops about 5%.  Trade in value would be about low retail minus approx 15%.

I had the Ultrapower ECM tune, and was finally able to receive a refund on it.  The "butt dyno" wasn't there, and I value my engine more than the $700 for the ECM tune.  I also don't believe telling prospective buyers that you have an ECM tune will help sell a unit, as it will turn most buyers away.  ;)

As one of the people who complained the most about WH - probably rightfully so in your case - I wouldn't expect any different type of comment from you.  I was responding to the OP; you were responding to me.  FWIW, the UP upgrade has been worth every penny, and more, that I spent.  the "butt dymo" response was immediate when it was done and still feels the same today.  I live a low altitude where the effect is much more obvious than where I spend summers in CO but since I drive mostly at lower altitudes I really like it.  If you already live at altitudes above, say, 4,000', you won't have the same results as those of us who live lower.

So I went to see the SunCruiser today and test drive it.  I looked at this rig about 6 weeks ago and it was inside a showroom.  This time it was outside.  I inspected the outside and liked everything other than the rear tires need to be replaced.  The front are from 2010.  Great so far...

Then I went inside and immediately noticed the passenger side laptop shelf in the dashboard had a puddle on it. The floor under the dash was pretty wet too.  At first it seemed like it was just the right side was wet but I also found the drivers side fixed window frame was also full of water and the speaker next to it was a bit rusty.  Bummer, as I liked this layout. I want to buy a home, not a rain forest.

On the positive side, I did get to drive it on back roads and get a feel for driving a big class A on little back roads with hazards.  At first I felt overwhelmed at the size of this thing. I had to do a three point turn to get it out of the lot.  After a few miles we pulled into a large empty parking lot and I had lots of time to do turns and backing up etc.  I felt much better and more confident, not to mention I didn't "take out" a single mailbox or pedestrian (at least not in the parking lot)!

After the test drive I did get to hang out in the rig alone and pretend to run through my daily routines and figure out where I would put all my stuff.  This floor plan and size would work very well for me.  The rig driving classes sound like a wonderful idea to me. Have any of the forum members taken RV driving lessons? If so, where?

So the search continues.  I'm going to contact Sharon at LazyDays and also a few of the other forum members that are selling their rigs. 

-Eric

P.S.  Is there a listing of all the typical abbreviations everyone uses on the forum?  I feel like I need a decoder ring at times  ;)

Attachments

• Dash_Puddle.jpg
    Dash_Puddle.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Inside_Dash_Shelf.jpg
    Inside_Dash_Shelf.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Passenger_Outside_Corner.jpg
    Passenger_Outside_Corner.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 17
  • SunCruiser_35-1090912.jpg
    SunCruiser_35-1090912.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Still_Dripping.jpg
    Still_Dripping.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 21
  • ShowerSkylight.jpg
    ShowerSkylight.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Rolling_Bomb.jpg
    Rolling_Bomb.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 30
Great pictures!  And thanks for the updates!  :)

Yes, steer away from this motorhome, as the water leaks alone would make me run (not walk) away from this unit.  Signs of delamination will be showing up soon on the passenger side window area. 

Also with the amount of rust I see in the pictures, I bet the chassis is a rust bucket, and the metal frame around the windshield could be rust compromised.

I remember our first Class A motorhome, a 1980 Georgie Boy 30 footer...that was 13 RV's ago.....it takes a week long vacation to get the feel of the unit.  :D  I think Lazydays has a motorhome driving course too if you want to go that route.

Like Mark says - steer clear.  There is absolutely no reason to buy a coach with known leaks.  As far as driving something that large, I found it intimidating for about the first 5,000 miles and it took another 10,000 - 20,000 miles before we felt completely comfortable.

Bear in mind that the longer the overhang past the rear wheels, the more you have to pay close attention to what the rear end is doing when you turn.

Is there a listing of all the typical abbreviations everyone uses on the forum?  I feel like I need a decoder ring at times

Here you go - a list of acronyms used here.

Back
Top Bottom