EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Using Freeze Dried Meals While On The Road  (Read 11241 times)

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
Using Freeze Dried Meals While On The Road
« on: March 09, 2012, 02:00:31 AM »
Greetings,

Thought I would put this subject in this section as smaller RV's like I am interested in, need to maximize space, weight and efficiency. I've used freeze dried meals while camping and hiking and they are a good way to have an easy meal while doing activities. I personally prefer Mountain House products. While they sale these in pouches for one or two meals at a time, you can also buy larger quantities in cans. I thought these might be an ideal way to supplement your food pantry while on the road without adding much weight or space.

A typical can has about 11 or 12 servings. Cans come in cases of 6, so that would be roughly 66 to72 servings of entrees. Add another case of vegtables, fruits and deserts, would keep a couple of people going for about a month. While I wouldn't want to live off these, seems like the perfect way to keep food on hand and compliment items in your refrigerator, can goods, and other food items you might have stored for trips. Also would enable you to stay somewhere a bit longer without giving up a spot you like and having to run to a store.

While I realize that most people camp near communities and so forth, I am sure some like myself like to be out in areas where there might be less options or having to run a distance to get stocked back up (savings on fuel might justify keeping these handy). Freeze dried meals are a bit expensive, about $18 to $24 per can they do offer a more self sufficient life when camping out in the boonies. Perhaps there are things I am overlooking that people would like to add on food storage or making the most out of your limited space. I hope to see some good ideas here. My best to everyone!

CamperAL
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

DonTom

• ---
Re: Using Freeze Dried Meals While On The Road
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:46:50 AM »
I've used freeze dried meals while camping and hiking
I always have a few freeze dried meals in my RV, (as well as some MRE's) for emergencies, but  didn't know they were sold by the can.  I am into backpacking, so I know about the meals otherwise.

BTW, are you a member of this forum?

-Don- Reno, NV
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5
2017 Zero SR 13 w/pwr tank

AverageBOB

• ---
  • I'm here, where are you?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
I'm going to say that's an article written by someone in the employ of mountain house.
If a pigeon had his brains

It would fly sideways.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
There is a company called "Daily Bread" which sells Freeze Dried and canned food (Sealed in tins, not pouches, keeps a LONG time) this is kind of "Shelter food" to be honest,  I've tried their products and the food was good.

I may, some day, invest in an order,  but just now it is priced out of my range.. (Since you need to buy bulk)  http://www.dailybread.com/ if you wish to check 'em out.  If you do order from them please let me know. 

but to be honest.. The price per meal is not all that bad.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Water Dog

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
One thing we used to do in my back packing days was to freeze food made at home in those seal-a-meal pouches. I carried a small soft cooler in my pack with one of those blue ice thingies. At meal time I would simply drop the pouch in a 1 pound coffee can of boiling water to reheat it. I've tried it with several casserole type dishes, what we call sheepherders (breakfast with eggs, potato's, sausage, onion, and cheese), and even tried it with slices of Round Table Pizza. Over 3 or 4 days, the blue ice, while allowing the frozen meals to thaw a little, still kept them plenty cold. I gladly carried the little extra weight in exchange for some good food. The idea could easily be used in a camper as long as the pouches can be kept frozen for a while.
Dennis

"Heart is where the home is"
---------------------------------
Dennis & Vici Bernhard
2000 Bounder
1999 Jeep Wrangler
Home: Sumner, TX

Icemaker

• ---
  • "Nár lagaí na bithiúnaigh do lámh"
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »
I always have a few freeze dried meals in my RV, (as well as some MRE's) for emergencies, but  didn't know they were sold by the can.  I am into backpacking, so I know about the meals otherwise.

BTW, are you a member of this forum?

-Don- Reno, NV

I didn't know a non member could post..have to admit that till you asked I hadn't thought about it either...another member added that the "poster" might have had an agenda with the post..that I would have thought was under the "overseers" domain.
George

94 Dolphin DP
99 CRV W/Blue Ox & Patriot Brakes
95 F-150 4X4 4.9
F420661
Fresno, Ohio most of the time

Larry and Rita

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »
Daily Bread looks interesting,but why don't they post prices?
I would like to order a couple of the emergency kits.
I did request a sample to be sent.
Larry
1999 Pace Arrow.
Proudly served US Army
I don't need anger management--I just need people to stop pissing me off

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
Hi Average Bob and all,

I am actually a graphic artist and live about 2,000 miles from Oregon where the Mountain House products are made (they were also instrumental in preparing astronaut food aboard missions). I don't have a dime in their product or get any type of compensation from them. I do like their product. I also wouldn't try to break forum rules of commercial posts. I like this forum in so many ways and don't want to be expelled!! I do appreciate the post by the other member who posted another company that people might try, including myself. So the topic was generated to see if people are aware of the cans which are a good way to store and take freeze dried foods.

Hi Icemaker,

Always appreciate your posts here! When I saw his post asking if I was a member of this forum, I thought the same exact thing. What he was asking if I was a member of a forum in the link which I am not. I'll probably go and check out that forum though as I am always interested in items related to backpacking.

Hi Water Dog,

Actually that is an excellent idea. Where you would save space, is not having the bulk items you would have to put together to generate the meals. You could make a bit extra when doing meals and freeze them at home (if you are not full timers) and build them up until travel time. Seems like you could switch ice packs even in the small freezers that B Vans have and keep food for some period of time. It would have to take two or three times more space if you tried to prepare such items on the road. Also as you said good home made food for the road and easy prep. Best to all!

CamperAL
CamperAL (Indiana)

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »
Hi Average Bob and all,

I am actually a graphic artist and live about 2,000 miles from Oregon where the Mountain House products are made (they were also instrumental in preparing astronaut food aboard missions). I don't have a dime in their product or get any type of compensation from them. I do like their product. I also wouldn't try to break forum rules of commercial posts. I like this forum in so many ways and don't want to be expelled!! I do appreciate the post by the other member who posted another company that people might try, including myself. So the topic was generated to see if people are aware of the cans which are a good way to store and take freeze dried foods.....

CamperAL

Relax.  No problemos that I can see.   8)
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »
Everything is copacetic from my viewpoint as well.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 04:58:35 AM »
I didn't know a non member could post..have to admit that till you asked I hadn't thought about it either...another member added that the "poster" might have had an agenda with the post..that I would have thought was under the "overseers" domain.
Well, I have nothing to do with the Mountain House company (Oregon Freeze Dry, IIRC)but I also think they are the most tasty of all the many different brands of freeze dried meals that I have taken with me backpacking. If he said another brand then perhaps I would question it :D .

However, I thought the freeze dried meals I  had in Vietnam (LRRP meals) were the best of all. But perhaps that was only because they were so much better than the C-rats that almost anything else would taste good. I cannot remember who made those. Perhaps it was Mountain House!

BTW, any of these freeze dried meals should be good for more than 25 years in storage if not opened.

-Don- Reno, NV
-Don-   AA6GA

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
We have found several freeze dried vegetables that prepare as good as frozen vegetables and are close to fresh.  We buy them in the 5lb cans from Honeyville ( http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/?gclid=CIWwwe7T3K4CFcbc4Aodcgtcag ).  We take Ziplocked gallon bags of corn, peas, broccoli with us for meals.  Have gotten the eggs but a 5lb tin is just to much.  Not as good as fresh eggs but fine for baking, etc.  We don't do meats.  Carry cans of beef, spam, tuna, salmon... with us.  Carry some powdered milk for baking.  Carrying these products just reduces the pressure of having to schedule grocery store restocking stops.  For us it's a convenience issue not a space issue.  Also since we rely on an ice chest we are limited to fresh food stocks.
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis
We 'B' RVing   Berkley, Michigan
Van Development:   https://youtu.be/5Xqk_G6k95M
12 Years of Travels:  https://youtu.be/UMIf17CzdZo

mnmnutswer

• ---
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 09:59:25 AM »
Not for me to much like c-rats or MRE's had my fill. It's fresh food for me or drive on.
Terry & Kathy Weller
Direct Sales Jewelry
It goes where you are.

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 03:12:23 PM »
Carrying these products just reduces the pressure of having to schedule grocery store restocking stops.  For us it's a convenience issue not a space issue.  Also since we rely on an ice chest we are limited to fresh food stocks.

Hi Len and Jo,

Curious, how often you and others have to make trips to restock your items in your conversion van? I realize there isn't an exact time each time but you probably know within a few days.

This is my thought as well of not having to schedule a run into town. If you are assign a camp spot, then it should be there when you get back but if you are somewhere that you can camp anywhere you want then having the supplies on hand can strech out your trips and save a good camp spot.

I plan on probably doing a grocery store stop once every two weeks, twice a month. Having items that don't need to be refrigerated and help you save trips in my opinion makes good sense as well as saves fuel until you are ready to make your stops. We tend to plan multipal stops for a single trip into town (when at home) as we live out in the country. Just makes good sense and interesting to see there are people using the freeze dried option.

Beside freeze dried, there are many dehydrated foods in grocery stores that can be used as well. It is just a matter of finding out what you like.

CamperAL
CamperAL (Indiana)

Tombstonejim

• ---
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
Not for me to much like c-rats or MRE's had my fill. It's fresh food for me or drive on.

Add me to that list. 30 years in the military I don't want anything that even slightly looks like a MRE.  And I ain't gonna sleep in no tent either. Thats what motorhomes are for.
2000 Holiday Rambler, Endeavor 35
towing Jeep Wrangler or Liberty

M1894

• ---
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
Add me to that list. 30 years in the military I don't want anything that even slightly looks like a MRE.  And I ain't gonna sleep in no tent either. That's what motorhomes are for.

c-rats or k-rats, I don't know which was worse. I don't know about MRE's, as they came out after I retired. The only thing good about them is that they kept you from starving, and they made good trading material with the Koreans for some good rice dishes. Even the Kim-Chee tasted better. I don't know how old some of them were, but one time I got a package of Lucky Strike's in the green package out of one carton.

Lee
LEE & PEGGY
1996 BLUEBIRD 40 ft./W Tag
1984 FC35SB Bluebird (Given to eldest son)
1 TeraTrike Rover Recumbent Tricycle (Tadpole Type) (Wife's )
1 Catrike Trail Recumbent Tricycle [Tadpole Type]
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier [Tow]
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
 ;D I ate too many c-rats to appreciate freeze dried food too.They are convenient when traveling, they fill the hole in a pinch but that is all the good I have to say about them.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »
We ate freeze dried foods back in our backpacking days. I spent a lot of time figuring out ways to carry GOOD lightweight foods and enjoyed replacing those freeze dried packages.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 11:05:17 PM »

c-rats or k-rats, I don't know which was worse. I don't know about MRE's, as they came out after I retired. The only thing good about them is that they kept you from starving, and they made good trading material with the Koreans for some good rice dishes. Even the Kim-Chee tasted better. I don't know how old some of them were, but one time I got a package of Lucky Strike's in the green package out of one carton.

Lee
I was stuck with C-rats, so the MRE's are fine with me. But we can no longer buy the military ones, which were the best of all the MRE's I've tried. The MRE's were MUCH better than the C-rats. The military  MRE's had to pass a taste test vote unlike the C-rats.

BTW, I hated the ROK meals. I cannot stand kim-che. I only tried them once and that was enough. I will take most (not all!) of the c-rats over the ROK meals.

MRE's seem a bit heavy for any serious backpacking, but are a good change from the freeze dried stuff after a few days in the boonies. MRE's can be kept in a RV for emergencies, but the military ones are no longer available to the non-military public.  There are other brands that are okay, which we may buy, but these not as good as the military ones.

The MRE's do NOT last as long as freeze dried meals. But they do last. Here is some info on MRE storage (but this chart is for the military MREs):

The following chart was provided by my wholesaler for the MRE's.  It was developed by the Gov't. and states potential storage life at
certain temperatures.

120 deg         1 month
110 deg         5 months
100 deg         22 months   < 2 years
90 deg          55 months     4.58 years
80 deg          78 months     6.5 years
70 deg          100 months    8.3 years
60 deg          130 months   10.8 years

below 60  -- not enough data available.  Projections are that the 130 month life would be extended.  Do not allow to fluctuate in and out of
freezing.

-Don-  Reno, NV
-Don-   AA6GA

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »
Never thought about how long we want to stay out w/o going to a grocery store.  Have always used the non-perishable food stock as fill ins or back-ups.  As I said the vegetables we use all the time because they are of good, almost of fresh, quality.  We also take grocery store long life stuff: Like, boxed pasta, elbow macaroni,  scallop potatoes, fresh potatoes, carrots, gravy mixes, dry Knorr soups, etc.

When we backpacked (few days a time) or canoe camped (week at a time) we always budgeted the food for specific meals and days to make sure they lasted the trip but did not take to much because of weight & fuel concerns.
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
I don't know how old some of them were, but one time I got a package of Lucky Strike's in the green package out of one carton.
In 1968, most of the C-rat cartons had a date in the 1960's. 1964, IIRC. Once in a great while there would be a carton from the 1950's with a different set of meals in them. I looked forward to the older cartons just for the change.

-Don-  Reno, NV
-Don-   AA6GA

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »
Add me to that list. 30 years in the military I don't want anything that even slightly looks like a MRE.  And I ain't gonna sleep in no tent either. Thats what motorhomes are for.
You can't take a motorhome to the places I go backpacking.

-Don- Reno, NV
-Don-   AA6GA

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5

AverageBOB

• ---
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Sorry I apologize. It's just odd seeing someone who actually uses proper punctuation and grammar while writing on a forum so my 'spam' detector started beeping.   :P

Hi Average Bob and all,

I am actually a graphic artist and live about 2,000 miles from Oregon where the Mountain House products are made (they were also instrumental in preparing astronaut food aboard missions). I don't have a dime in their product or get any type of compensation from them. I do like their product. I also wouldn't try to break forum rules of commercial posts. I like this forum in so many ways and don't want to be expelled!! I do appreciate the post by the other member who posted another company that people might try, including myself. So the topic was generated to see if people are aware of the cans which are a good way to store and take freeze dried foods.

Hi Icemaker,

Always appreciate your posts here! When I saw his post asking if I was a member of this forum, I thought the same exact thing. What he was asking if I was a member of a forum in the link which I am not. I'll probably go and check out that forum though as I am always interested in items related to backpacking.

Hi Water Dog,

Actually that is an excellent idea. Where you would save space, is not having the bulk items you would have to put together to generate the meals. You could make a bit extra when doing meals and freeze them at home (if you are not full timers) and build them up until travel time. Seems like you could switch ice packs even in the small freezers that B Vans have and keep food for some period of time. It would have to take two or three times more space if you tried to prepare such items on the road. Also as you said good home made food for the road and easy prep. Best to all!

CamperAL

It would fly sideways.

M1894

• ---
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 03:21:19 PM »
In 1968, most of the C-rat cartons had a date in the 1960's. 1964, IIRC. Once in a great while there would be a carton from the 1950's with a different set of meals in them. I looked forward to the older cartons just for the change.

-Don-  Reno, NV

My first trip was in 1953 followed by 1958, and 1964, so never saw any of the newer dates. 

Lee
LEE & PEGGY
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
Sorry I apologize. It's just odd seeing someone who actually uses proper punctuation and grammar while writing on a forum so my 'spam' detector started beeping.   :P

Hi Average Bob,

No apology needed as there are many people who try to abuse forums like this one to make a buck. I am exploring many avenues on RV'n and wanted to see what others do to stock their RV's when on the road and camping, especially the B Vans.

Good punctuation and grammar?? That certainly isn't me. I rely on spell check and post in a way that suits me probably much to retired teachers on this forums disdain and horror.

CamperAL
CamperAL (Indiana)

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 04:17:56 AM »
My first trip was in 1953 followed by 1958, and 1964, so never saw any of the newer dates. 

Lee
Yours must have had the "Ham & Lime Beans". I hear they were so gross that people would make bets on if anybody could finish a can.

Sure was a lot of waste of C-rats. Most were just opened and buried when re-supplies were good.

-Don- SSF, CA
-Don-   AA6GA

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5

AverageBOB

• ---
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 09:41:31 AM »
There is a company called "Daily Bread" which sells Freeze Dried and canned food (Sealed in tins, not pouches, keeps a LONG time) this is kind of "Shelter food" to be honest,  I've tried their products and the food was good.

I may, some day, invest in an order,  but just now it is priced out of my range.. (Since you need to buy bulk)  http://www.dailybread.com/ if you wish to check 'em out.  If you do order from them please let me know. 

but to be honest.. The price per meal is not all that bad.

Well the pictures on the front page look good, but it's just powdered meals so I doubt the lasagna is going to look like lasagna hahah.

It would fly sideways.

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 06:28:55 AM »
To get back on subject of CamperAls original question, I am sure you can put together a 2+ week menu with non perishable foods.  To keep them good you would have to put some thought into it and be selective.  We have found that pulling individual items together for a meal is better then buying a campers freeze dried meal in a bag.  I think taste and visual quality of those products suffer from maximizing "just add boiling water", "use the pouch", etc. 
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis

AverageBOB

• ---
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 08:35:59 AM »
If weight isn't a big issue but convenience is my vote is for military surplus MRE's. For a two week food supply you'd need 14Mre's, being at over 1,000 calories a piece it would be possible.

To get back on subject of CamperAls original question, I am sure you can put together a 2+ week menu with non perishable foods.  To keep them good you would have to put some thought into it and be selective.  We have found that pulling individual items together for a meal is better then buying a campers freeze dried meal in a bag.  I think taste and visual quality of those products suffer from maximizing "just add boiling water", "use the pouch", etc.

It would fly sideways.

Icemaker

• ---
  • "Nár lagaí na bithiúnaigh do lámh"
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 09:35:30 AM »
Yours must have had the "Ham & Lime Beans". I hear they were so gross that people would make bets on if anybody could finish a can.

Sure was a lot of waste of C-rats. Most were just opened and buried when re-supplies were good.

-Don- SSF, CA

Bought back some good memories..My Dad brought some of those home..I snuck some out and took them to my "fort" ...I guess my taste buds hadn't been developed to a sufficient level to dislike them..of course eating "forbidden goods" might have been an influence..
Thanks for the memory recall.   
George

94 Dolphin DP
99 CRV W/Blue Ox & Patriot Brakes
95 F-150 4X4 4.9
F420661
Fresno, Ohio most of the time

M1894

• ---
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »

-Don- SSF, CA

I think that the Dr Suess book about ham and green eggs was written by someone who got them in C-rations. And you are correct about the ham and lima beans. those things were gross.

Lee
LEE & PEGGY
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »
Bought back some good memories..My Dad brought some of those home..I snuck some out and took them to my "fort" ...I guess my taste buds hadn't been developed to a sufficient level to dislike them..of course eating "forbidden goods" might have been an influence..
Thanks for the memory recall.
Some of the C-rats were not too bad. But it did get tiring eating the same few canned meals three times per day for a year with only very rare exceptions.

Here is what they consisted  of:

There were slight differences depending of the year of the case.
There were at least two different cases, one with a much older date on
the case (195?). The more common case (when I served <September
1969-1970> had a date in the 60's on the case). But I think there were
10 meals in a case of 12 (I think two were repeated).

Ham and Lima Bean AKA "Mothas" (inedible)  <older case only>?
  Ham and Eggs (inedible)
  beef steak (inedible)
  Beef Slices with potatoes (edible)
  beans and franks (edible)
  pork slices  (inedible)
    turkey loaf  (edible)  *OR*
    Boned Chicken (edible)
  spaghetti with meatballs   (inedible)
  Chicken and noodles (edible)
  Beans with Meatballs (edible)

Peaches  (edible)
  pears    (edible)
  apricots (edible)
  fruit cocktail (edible)
  pineapple chunks (edible)

pound cake (edible)
  fruit cake (inedible)
  pecan cake (edible)

Hot Chocolate.
  bread pudding
  white bread in a can.
  green lucky strikes
  peanut butter / jelly / cheese in cans with crackers
  Old Gold, Pall Mall, Camel or Salem cigarettes.
  matches
  Chicklets
  toilet paper
  instant coffee
  tropical chocolate disks wrapped in tin foil.
  chocolate covered coconut candy (edible)

If anybody can add to or correct this list, please post me a message here.

-Don-  in rainy  SSF, CA
-Don-   AA6GA

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »
The canned chicken was good. And there was also one with tuna but us cooks used to grab the tuna and chicken ones. I do remember the little 3-packs of cigarettes but don't remember them being Lucky Strikes. This was in the mid-70s.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 01:10:54 AM »
The canned chicken was good. And there was also one with tuna but us cooks used to grab the tuna and chicken ones. I do remember the little 3-packs of cigarettes but don't remember them being Lucky Strikes. This was in the mid-70s.
Tuna C-rats? What year was that?  We received the cases unopened, 12 meals in each case, dropped off from the choppers (Central Highland jungless of Vietnam, 1969-70) and I never even heard of a tuna C-rat.

-Don-  Rainy SSF, CA
-Don-   AA6GA

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5

Water Dog

• ---
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »
Some of the C-rats were not too bad. But it did get tiring eating the same few canned meals three times per day for a year with only very rare exceptions.

Here is what they consisted  of:

white bread in a can.  [/center]

Great list Don, We used to use the white bread for a ball....that's the only thing it was good for. Far too hard to eat.. :P
Dennis

"Heart is where the home is"
---------------------------------
Dennis & Vici Bernhard
2000 Bounder
1999 Jeep Wrangler
Home: Sumner, TX

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »
I was in from 75-78 and we had canned tuna c-rats. That and the canned chicken were the only ones I'd eat.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
I was in from 75-78 and we had canned tuna c-rats. That and the canned chicken were the only ones I'd eat.
OIC, I know they made many changes after they stopped the draft and that must have been one of them. I was drafted on 24, March 1969 which was even before the draft lottery started.

-Don- SSF, CA
-Don-   AA6GA

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 12:19:28 AM »
Greetings,

Another comment that I thought I would throw in, there are dehydrated meals that can be used like the freeze dried meals. Freeze dried to me tastes very fresh and hard to beat compared to other forms of preservation.

There are many items that can be bought in regular grocery stores that have dehydrated foods that might be useful for camping and RV uses. Freeze dried though it costs more in my opinion still is very hard to beat, because of it's small volume that makes taking with you ideal for RV'n, especially in B type campers.

Don't know if the dehydrated foods were confused with the actual freeze dried ones. I agree vegtables are hard to beat freeze dried and taste just like fresh and probably were when they went through the process. Best to all.
CamperAL (Indiana)

Hosted by Over The Network