Replacing faucet - Plastic "RV" vs. conventional

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stormbytes

I've started to ready my '94 Winnebago Warrior (22' - Class A) for a coast-to-cost adventure. While there are minor repairs to be made, she's pretty solid for the most part. One thing that bothers me is the plastic imitation-steel kitchen faucet neck. Its flimsy and I'm thinking of replacing it.

I came across this mode which looks nice -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-LITE-WEIGHT-SINGLE-LEVER-HANDLE-KITCHEN-FAUCET-WHITE-/130650196629?_trksid=p4340.m503&_trkparms=algo%3DRIC.CFNP%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D250994702942%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6876108616947501682#ht_3068wt_966

Is there a reason so many RV faucets are plastic?

Can I just use any standard kitchen faucet from HD?

Thanks!

We replaced both kitchen & bathroom faucets with real ones from Lowes or HD several years ago.  Our originals were the same threads as standard so it was easy.

Joel

Plastic is lighter weight and cheaper to make.  In almost all cases you can replace RV plumbing with standard plumbing.  I only use RV specific items, window cranks etc, used only in RVs when remodeling or fixing. Most of my supplies I get from local hardware store.

I've found that by buying one from Lowe's, the cost is about the same. That said, you can upgrade for a little more and have something you can be proud of.

Most all RV plumbing fixtures are standard design, meaning the holes that the faucet fits in are standard size and spacing. Just go to Lowes or Depot or  the local hardware store and get what you like.

Thanks everyone!

The flimsy, plastic faucet neck really irks me so I'll be replacing that one as per your suggestions. Weight is a factor and I'm trying to keep things light, so I'll contact the seller and if this is a hard plastic I'll probably go with it.

This being my first RV (and bought on the cheap) I'll to hold off on the numerous other fixes and upgrades that are already creeping up.

I'll be posting quite a bit as I've questions on leaky gas connections, fridge issues, water/septic, etc...

stay tuned :)

I would avoid any plumbing fixtures from Lowes or Depot. The Moen, Delta, or Price Phister faucets the the box stores sell are of lesser quality than the same name fixtures from true plumbing stores. They may cost a little more, but are well worth it.

Those companies have proprietary lines meant only to be sold to the box stores, and they are crap.

stormbytes said:
Hah! Most things sold in HD or Lowes would easily qualify as that!

I respectfully disagree with that statement. Go online to Delta, pick out a faucet you like and get it from any retailer such as Lowe's, HD, Menards  or Joe's fancy Faucets and its exactly the same thing. Price may be different but quality will be exactly the same.

Many years ago I was replacing tires on my 1937 Cord I had a friend who worked for Gates Rubber Company. When I asked him which was the best buy in their tire line, he told me to get a certain tire from Montgomery Wards, as it was the same tire with the same specifications, and the only difference was the mold they were cured in. He said it would cost too much to run different build lines for the two different tires and that both tires used the same materials and construction, and just used two different molds.

The same would hold true with faucet manufacturing. To make two identical looking items in different quality levels would just not be cost effective.

Lee

Nowadays manufacturing of consumer products in North-America is virtually non-existant. The rules of the game have changed as have production considerations , expected life of a product, and so forth. While certain quality items can still be had at Lowes, HD or TrueValue, my experience on more then one occasion has been a frustrating one. 

With some exception, when it comes to plumbing fixtures and where quality is a concern, my vote is with the gentleman that suggested buying from plumbing supply houses. The sales people are well informed, available and can often help with ideas on how to adapt and improvise. It might cost a wee bit more, but you get what you pay for.

I believe you should purchase your items where you feel comfortable.  Yesterday, I went to Home Depot, bought a new bathroom faucet for my class A and felt really comfortable doing this.  The longest part of the entire process was picking out the type I wanted.  After that was done the install took 15 minutes. No special adapters or tools required!!!

The fixtures at the depot are not exactly the same as the ones found in true plumbing supply stores. They are similiar, but made of lesser quality materials. The name is the same, and thats all. Ive been in this industry for 22 years, and deal with depot garbage regularly. The finish wears out faster, and the pop up assembly on the depot faucets are made of plastic. The faucets from the supply house are made of brass. The internals are also different.

Making the same basic item of different trim/quality makes absolute sense, and has been done by many companies for years. An example would be the early 60's Chevrolet Biscane/Bel-Air/Impala cars. Same sheet metal, different levels of trim, different prices.

I can't see replacing one plastic faucet with another plastic faucet, in the kitchen,  if the first one irks you.

Since I live in my RV fulltime, I replaced the  hideous kitchen faucet with a single lever faucet with a retractable spigot, with a built-in spray switch.  It's the handiest upgrade I did because I use the kitchen faucet 10-20-30 times a day.  Mine is all metal.

The single lever keeps me from getting burns from the super hot 6 gallon water heater.  Being able to pull out the faucet like a retractable shower is awesome and handy for washing bulky things (like the puppy dog). Having the  spray feature at the push of a button is wonderful.

By the way if you want a decent bath shower with boosted pressure power, go with the Oxygenics handheld shower spa. Prices have come down since I bought mine. In that case I did buy the white plastic model because I liked the nice clean look, but I kept the original shower faucet that came with the RV for the time being.  The shower is self-pressurizing giving you a real shower.  I put this on my outside shower too, which I mainly use to wash up with after handling sewer hoses or anything messy outside.

Oxygenics
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G4EO66

I buy most all of my RV parts from Amazon.  They have become very  competitive in most areas and often I get it on free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime.  I can pick out exactly what I want, and they have delivered to me at numerous campgrounds. It has saved me lots of gas,  travel and hunting especially since I am pretty picky.

edit:fixed link

Second the Oxygenics!
As to differing quality levels?  Not sure about thatt, but pretty sure all the plumbers witll tell you that.

DearMissMermaid said:
I can't see replacing one plastic faucet with another plastic faucet, in the kitchen,  if the first one irks you.
Since I live in my RV fulltime, I replaced the  hideous kitchen faucet with a single lever faucet with a retractable spigot, with a built-in spray switch.  It's the handiest upgrade I did because I use the kitchen faucet 10-20-30 times a day.  Mine is all metal.

Its not so much that its plastic as cheap, flimsy plastic that would break if I look at it wrong. Plastic construction can be of relatively high quality, if manufactured using high strength composites.

I decided to (be frugal and) repurpose a stainless faucet I used in my darkroom some years back. Its all steel construction with white porcelain-like trim on chrome handles, with a gooseneck spout. It should go well with the twin-tub stainless sink. No sprayer hose, but I can always add one if the need presents.

DearMissMermaid said:
By the way if you want a decent bath shower with boosted pressure power, go with the Oxygenics handheld shower spa.

Another issue I addressed almost immediately. My Winnie has a simple shower valve with exposed diverter designed for use with hand-held shower. I considered swapping the valve for one with a rear (internal) diverter, and plumbing in a riser and fixed shower arm. I posted the question to the forum and another member suggested Oxygenics hand-held shower. When I looked at the space I had to work with, I opted for simplicity and went with the hand-held model.

I've since tested the Oxygenics in the house while I resolve water issues in the RV. The Oxygenics works great with home water pressure. How it fares at reduced pressure and flow remains to be seen, but its encouraging to hear your positive experience.

DearMissMermaid said:
I buy most all of my RV parts from Amazon.  They have become very  competitive in most areas and often I get it on free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime.  I can pick out exactly what I want, and they have delivered to me at numerous campgrounds. It has saved me lots of gas,  travel and hunting especially since I am pretty picky.

I'm quickly learning that RV dealers and supply houses are a bonafide rip-off! Amazon is most definitely *the* place to shop for RV supplies (when possible) - and I'm with you on Prime. I'm an avid eBayer and have already put my searching skills to use replacing my RV thermostat, buying a Kidde smoke/CO detector and (soon to be purchased) upgraded toilet.

Daniel,
You had mentioned leaking gas lines? IMHO that is an issue that needs addressing ASAP. The folks here will help in any way possible, especially when it is a safety issue. Please handle the gas issue quickly. I have seen (experienced) the "bad" side of gas leaks. Sorry, the mom of 12 and grandmother of 23 is coming out ............. :)

Another vote for the Oxygenics shower head.

It gives more pressure, uses much less water than the old standard plastic hand held one.

To me it's one of those products that's even worth paying MSRP if you have to.

Back
Top Bottom