Tipping in USA, how much and where?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having had several children who were/are in the food service, or alcohol, I have learned that they are taxed as if the patron left a 15% tip on each one they waited on.

By federal law, taxes are withheld on tip income as if a 7% tip was received on all sales. But when the federal taxes are filed at year end, the actual tips received are reported and the tax paid is based on actual amount, not the estimated 7%.  You then pay the extra or get a refund, as the case may be. However, if you report less than 7% tip income, you can expect to have a discussion with the IRS and be asked to produce records of your weekly tip income. Same might happen if you report much less than 10% too.

Social security is also withheld based on estimated tips, so that brings the total withholding percentage up near the 15% mark. Getting a refund of excess SS deductions is not easy.

I normally tip generously at most the places mentioned where service has been good, but I don't tip at counters where I physically stand in a line and the person behind the counter hands me something and takes my money, whether it be a sandwich shop, pizza place or coffee house. I feel there really hasn't been service there any more than say McDonalds, or the local hardware store. I think some of these business' are just capitalizing on a "food industry standard" even though they don't do the service aspect of it.

Water Dog said:
I normally tip generously at most the places mentioned where service has been good, but I don't tip at counters where I physically stand in a line and the person behind the counter hands me something and takes my money, whether it be a sandwich shop, pizza place or coffee house. I feel there really hasn't been service there any more than say McDonalds, or the local hardware store. I think some of these business' are just capitalizing on a "food industry standard" even though they don't do the service aspect of it.

i understand from this that tipping in McDonald and burger shop is not common. What about the food halls in shopping centre where you just order and pick up your plate from counter? I asume that tipping there is not customary also.

When in New york I asked the cab driver what the average tip was. He smiled and said 50% plus, but Sir it,s very seldom that I get the average tip  :) :)

chris

Jan Stiskala said:
i understand from this that tipping in McDonald and burger shop is not common. What about the food halls in shopping centre where you just order and pick up your plate from counter? I asume that tipping there is not customary also.

Some food type counters set a jar or basket out, but there is really no "standard" that one should drop money in it, and more people don't than do.

Thank you all for the help on this subject. Now I have to get Americanized. I am planning to keep coming to US at leas for 10 years to capitalize on my investment (new RV)

Jan Stiskala said:
Thank you all for the help on this subject. Now I have to get Americanized. I am planning to keep coming to US at leas for 10 years to capitalize on my investment (new RV)

Congratulations on your new RV Jan, and enjoy your travels while you're here.

It is also important to tip forum members who are helpful

Easier than it sounds, most of us are unbalanced and tip easily.

Jan Stiskala said:

I suspect that you are more confused now than before you posted your question on tipping.

I once visited Australia where I was invited to dinner at a private home. At the end of a fantastic meal, I was asked if I wanted dessert. My reply was.. "No thanks, I'm stuffed." I suspect that you know why there was absolute silence for several seconds after that. Thankfully, the host and guests understood that I was a yank.

As our US Marines motto says...Adapt and Overcome.  For the most part, we are a pretty forgiving society here..altho I don't think that applies to New Yorkers. :D  So you'll have a better time not worrying about when, where, and who to tip.

He he. that is so funny.
I don't know what is that fuss about New Yorkers. must find out about this.
Here we make fun of Irish people living in Australia. But only in nice way. Something on the level of  blond jokes. We all love Irish Aussies.

Australian hospitality works are quite well paid and labour laws generally across this country are the reason we have never needed to adopt a tipping system.

Thank goodness.

But I always tip 10-15% in the US - people need it and almost always give better/cheerier service than you get in Australia.

I've lived in Canada all my life and have travelled extensively in Canada and the US. I thought I had tipping down to a science ... but after reading this thread I'm confused as hell.  :-\

I have never heard of tipping a mechanic. Don't know where that came from ... probably a mechanic. Most of the other service providers .... yes, to various degrees. Food service people are the ones I deal with the most and if the service is acceptable I leave 20-30%. I don't get a calculator out to figure it out ... just look at the bill and guesstimate. Of course the type of restaurant does matter as well. Buffet restaurants are generally $2-$3 per person. McDonalds and Wendy's - nothing. The fancier the restaurant and the more service and the more attentive the wait staff is ... the larger the tip.

Have you ever taken a cruise??? The baggage handlers there are not shy about what they want ... I was taken back by how brazen they were when suggesting that a good tip ensured that your baggage made it to your room in a timely fashion. Same with baggage handlers at the airport. If you want your bags to make it to the same destination as you are going ... it helps.

I am personally embarrassed at how little some folk leave as a tip. It seems the more well off folks are ... the less they leave. Just my observations from friends and acquaintances. If they paid the bill and leave a tip ... I've gone back ocassionally to add to the tip.

To the mates from Downunder ... don't sweat it ... I know it's hard to believe but your accent will give you away and most folks will understand that you find tipping a little confusing and ackward. Just have a great walkabout and enjoy your travels.

I have never heard of tipping a mechanic.

I've been known to tip mechanics in addition to folks who do work at/around the house. If one guy is the owner of the company, I'll tip his workers if they do a good job. One time, a small company did some excellent work on my boat; I called the owner of the company and asked for the names of all his employees who had worked on it. I then drove over there and handed each one an envelope containing a nice tip and a personalized letter thanking them for the great job they did.

But, if folks do a poor job or have a bad attitude, my tip is "find another line of work".

I own a business in Michigan. I do tip my mechanics, my postman at holidays, the garbage men at holidays, so anyone i depend on to help keep the business going. and its not the money they look forward to its the gesture sayiong thank you.

Jammer's Travel Guide (tm) -- Tipping Etiquette in the Land of the Free (and right to arm bears)

Facts to consider
[list type=decimal]
[*]Service workers generally believe they are under-tipped and if asked will suggest a larger tip than is actually customary.  This has somehow carried over into many travel guides and internet sources
[*]In some cases a tip jar will be present even in situations where tips are not customary.
[*]When in the U.S., tip only in U.S. currency.
[*]Reduce tips when the service is poor (uninformed, incompetent, rude, etc.).
[/list]

Restaurant where you pay AFTER you eat.  General rule is 15% of the total for competent, capable service.  If the wait staff truly contributed to your enjoyment of the meal, consider 20%.  Inept service, still leave 5-10% in most cases; no tip at all is reserved for situations where the wait staff were being rude, spilled things on you, and other egregious behavior.

Restaurant where you ordered unusually expensive items Like a $200 bottle of Champagne or something.  Calculate the tip as though the expensive item had been a similar typically priced item.

Restaurant where you pay BEFORE you eat (cafeteria or fast food).  Traditionally no tip is left in these situations.  5-10% may be appropriate if there is attentive table service at buffet and cafeteria places.

If your toddler made a huge mess or you ripped the sink off the bathroom wall in a drunken fit of pique Adjust tips upwards accordingly.  In the latter case you may stop by the following day to settle up after sobering up.

Bars It usually works best to make a large tip on your first order ($5-$10 per person  depending on how long you plan to stay) so that the bartender pays closer attention to you and so you aren't constantly having to figure out how much leave after each little purchase.

Hotels Housekeeping staff are grossly underpaid.  I almost always leave a dollar or two in the room.

Baggage handlers No tip necessary unless they are providing extra service at your request, such as getting bags out of your car or taking them to your room

Valet parking Tricky area, usually with a hotel or restaurant valet I tip a dollar or two, but at parking ramps that require you to valet park so they can fit more cars in the ramp I usually don't. 

Pizza and other ready-to-eat food delivered to your home (or RV or similar location)  15% or so, less for unusually large or high dollar orders (as with a large group), more if you're out in the middle of nowhere and they drove a long way

Grocery deliveries Most have a "no tipping" policy.  Follow it.

Liquor deliveries $5-$10, more for unusually heavy or otherwise problematic deliveries.

Car wash They like tips but it isn't really customary unless you get them to do more work than usual.

Taxi, limo 10-15%, less if the cab is poorly maintained, odoriferous, unsafe driving, etc.  More for nicely appointed limos driven with style and courtesy.

Haircut  15% although some people who own their own barber shop don't like to be tipped.

Shuttle bus driver at an airport, car rental place, hotel.  0%, sorry dude.  If you're feeling generous or they pulled five heavy bags out of the back of the trunk of your car at your insistence then give them a buck or two.

Coffee bar They will have a tip jar out.  It isn't customary to leave a tip unless you place a difficult order or are otherwise making their life difficult.

Musicians, comedians, other entertainers Anywhere from $1-$5 per audience member for a hat pass or tip jar if you enjoyed their performance.  At least $5 if you make a request for a specific song.  No tip is required if you buy a CD or similar item from them.  In more formal venues that charge admission no tips are customary unless the performers indicate otherwise

Package delivery No tip.

Mechanics and other repair personnel No tip except maybe if they stayed open late or came in after hours.

Tour guides, fishing guides, etc. Expectations vary widely with some operating under a "no tipping" policy and others engaging in artless dunning for tips.  Use your judgment.

Charter pilot No tip necessary in most although they do appreciate them.  If they are selecting the destination or acting as a tour guide they may expect a tip.

[quote author=gremlin351]I do tip my mechanics, my postman at holidays, the garbage men at holidays ....[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder. Every Christmas I wait outside at 6:00am in the freezing cold to hand a tip to our garbage collectors, one being the regular garbage guy and the other being the recycle guy. Their tip is the same (as) we give the mail lady and the UPS driver who's always dropping stuff off at our door; We give them all a Safeways grocery store gift card. As you correctly said, it's the gesture that they really appreciate.

Guys
I am getting handle on this now. After 2 months in us, I feel like I am expert LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom