Exaust Headers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shearhawk

Just Curious, anybody replaced their exhaust manifolds for headers.  Increasing HP and fuel efficiency?

Thanks,
Randy

Well, visit http://www.bankspower.com/

Banks Power makes combination packages (packs) for most truck engines from light trucks to full blown semis, These packages are made for both gas and diesel engines, and consist of most every part, external to the engine block which has air or exhaust passing through it, Intake, air cleaner, Intake manafold, exhaust headers, pipes, muffler and resonator, and tail pipe are all included in a full banks power kit

They also have the OTTOMIND which is an updated electronics controller

The combination can add to both horsepower and millage... Kind of like a no-moving-parts-to-wear-out turbo charger

I chose the economy route on this one.  I would have preferred the Banks package but chose to go with Gibson because of price/cost.  With Gibson I got essentially the same exhaust. i.e. 3" pipes, headers, etc.  The thing I didn't get is any relief on the intake end.  I had to make my own modifications to the engine breathing.  The '97 Ford 360 already has an auxiliary air pump so it was only a matter of opening up the air intake.  I can't honestly say I've seen any increase in gas mileage but I do perceive more power.  I'm not sure I would have done any of this if I had not already had an exhaust leak that needed attention. 

There is a better solution to gas mileage/power for an old gasser, and that's gear splitting, but I'll leave that to others to describe.

That is what got me thinking, I have an exhaust leak on the Passenger side, hope just replacing the gasket will fix the leak.  But it is a '91 454 and the headers should make a difference in HP and mileage.  Not sure about the increasing the air intake.  How would I accomplish this?  I have the fuel injected throttle body carb.

Thanks,
Randy

Being a FORD man I'm not sure about any mod's that you could make to the air intake.? The principal is quite simple though. less restriction means more airflow (i.e. bigger filter box).? You don't want to get crazy and force air into the system to the point that you upset the computers ability to adjust mixture. etc...? ?As for the manifolds,? think long and hard about what you expect and what can be accomplished with gasket replacement.? You can probably stop the current leak for a while if it is ONLY a leaking gasket , but what the mechanic will tell you is that you need to machine the manifold, the block and his wallet   to do the job correctly.? That's big bucks.? If ANY of the remaining exhaust is in question beyond the manifolds/headers then I would suggest installing the Gibson or Banks.? ?

shearhawk said:
? ?That is what got me thinking, I have an exhaust leak on the Passenger side, hope just replacing the gasket will fix the leak.? But it is a '91 454 and the headers should make a difference in HP and mileage.? Not sure about the increasing the air intake.? How would I accomplish this?? I have the fuel injected throttle body carb.

Thanks,
Randy

My 93 454 has a four barrel carb. Check out this months issue of Motorhome magazine. They have an article with illustrations on how to increase airflow to the engine.

Woody

But it is a '91 454 and the headers should make a difference in HP and mileage.  Not sure about the increasing the air intake.  How would I accomplish this?  I have the fuel injected throttle body carb.

You could go all the way and convert it to fuel injection - there are kits available.  Shuld do much better than the old TBI system.  Or do a complete engine swap with a later model 454 - they are much mor epowerful and more fuel efficient as well.

Back
Top Bottom