Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I'm here. Nothing to report that anyone is going to like. I've hung a little bit better than even for the last few days.  :-\

Getting a bit easier, but not much. I've been studying. Learned some about the e-cig. I have been "smoking" it wrong. Changing that has been very helpful. Much more satisfying, accounting for some progress in the mood catagory. Simply put, one smokes it as if it were a regular cigarette. Now, it's a challenge, a real competitor, to the real cig. Reduces the stress, by a mile! Needed that.

So, I'm still on this wagon. May get off, now and then, for some running exercise, but I soon get back on. Translation: Light a real cig. Take two puffs. Snuff it. Go to e-cig for next puff. A few hours later, light the remains. Take two puffs. Snuff it.

Many times, I get a real cig out, decide I don't need it, and return it to the pack. Puff the e-cig, instead. May not look like progress to others, but I feel like I've come a long way. Grabbing every crutch I can find!  ;D 

Re: Staying away from friends that smoke: Ummmm - - - that  would be me. I'm the smoker. I associate with one other smoker, my ex-wife, and she is on the e-cig kick, also. We're still good friends and going to stay that way, I hope. My friends are my cheering section, including this forum. Not staying away from anyone. Would like more company. Don't have the smoking urge around friends, very much.

Oh, and don't have a sufficient number of friends that I can afford to lose any.  ;) 

I have made it through the winter pretty well, in my motorhome. Been warm and comfy and lonely. Got a bunch of folks fulltiming it, in this park, but when winter hit, they all went into their dens and hibernated. Rarely see anyone. Been a mild winter, record mild! Lowest low was 8 deg. Very little snow. May post later about how I made it, but everyone else, here, made it, as well. (and without going to the extreme I did to prepare.) Still, read lots of questions here about weathering the weather, so may post it later.

Ray D.  :)

Oh, forgot to congratulate Jim. Two weeks is a mountain of climbing. Keep climbing. You are going to make it, and I won't be all that far behind you.  ;D

Way ta go Ray, keep it up!  18 days down here, doing great, still a challenge, however doing fine.  Anyone else that has read this post and considering quitting, just jump on the wagon.  Thanks to everyone else that has had spirit of support.

I, like a lot of folks quit a hundred times, for a few hours. Fortunately I got what I needed one day and just lost the desire for another one. At the time I was smoking 3 packs a day. I?m sure a lot of hidden messages in the head was the big push. I heard so many people say it was the hardest thing they had done including stopping drinking and hard drug users. Some say that it?s better to think about something else when the desire hits as time has shown them. I?m grateful it was easy for me 28 years ago as I cannot afford 3 packs a day now. 

You guys keep it up. You CAN do it. I just saw on a TV show today where a doctor said to substitute the smoking habit with a different, healthier habit like walking. Just a thought.

Wendy
smokefree since 1981

And then there was last night's news where they were talking about the cancer rate which overall is declining - thankfully.  One third of the cancer deaths are from lung cancer caused by smoking, one third are caused by obesity and lack of exercise, and the last one third are from all other causes of cancer.  For those who smoke, don't exercise, and are obese the longterm outlook isn't very encouraging.  So NOW is the time to stop!

ArdraF

Wendy, so substituting a crack habit is not a good sub for smoking?  I used peppermint lifesavers.  I wasn't even a menthol smoker.

PancakeBill said:
Wendy, so substituting a crack habit is not a good sub for smoking?  I used peppermint lifesavers.  I wasn't even a menthol smoker.

"Healthier" was the important word :)  And for me it was peppermint sticks and I was a menthol smoker.

Wow... thread read over 1700 times, suspect lot's of ex-smokers out there.  Went back n' read a bunch of the responses, thanks to all of them, really mean that.  Going well, this Saturday it's going to be a Month.  It's amazing how fast the lungs start clearing.  Anyone reading this (that smokes) needs to really consider what they are doing... If I can do this anyone can.  Ray - how ya doing?

Ray - how ya doing?
Gotta get a better seat on this wagon. Keep falling off this one.  :-[  ::)

I do get right back on, but this ping-pong game has to stop. Actually, I think I'm doing well. Developing an attitude. I'll get there.

Funny, when I turned the computer on I thought "It's about time he checked with me, again." And, here you are. Thanks for the bump.  :D

I'm liking the e-cigs better, and that has been a boost. They are starting to taste right. I am starting to find the real cigs a bit dissatisfying, not pleasant, taste wise.

Congrats on the month. Keep checking in.

Ray D.  :)

Keep at it, Ray. You'll get there, you have the desire and it's just a matter of time.

Wendy

Gotta tell ya what's cool.... Forgot about posting for the past couple weeks, same story, getting boring now, still on that wagon!  Feel's much too nice to ruin this easy breathing frankly, 35yrs of smok'in is done!  Six weeks down coming this weekend, it's getting easier by the day now, good sign I think.

Way to go, Jim.

I am lagging, but not giving up. It's a fight every day. Win some - lose some.

Ray D  :)

Keep it up Jim. There will come a time when a cigarette smells really good, but resist, don't go back and start over from scratch. YOU CAN DO THIS! (And, Ray, you can, too.)

jje1960 said:
Gotta tell ya what's cool.... Forgot about posting for the past couple weeks, same story, getting boring now, still on that wagon!  Feel's much too nice to ruin this easy breathing frankly, 35yrs of smok'in is done!  Six weeks down coming this weekend, it's getting easier by the day now, good sign I think.

Congratulations!!!  You deserve heaps of praise!  And Ray, hang in there .... you'll get there, because you want to.

Margi

Ditto what Wendy said.  Resist all temptations, and especially stay away from people who continue to smoke.  I'd quit for six months, when thrown back into this crowd.  Family, whom I could'nt avoid.  Lot control fro anothert 15 years.  Won't let that happen again.  Moved away from all of them

Daisy

I quit a few months ago after reading "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking".  I highly recommend it!  I wish you the best!

aubreyshaw said:
I quit a few months ago after reading "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking".  I highly recommend it!  I wish you the best!
Good for you, awesome aubreyshaw.  How many years of smoking did you put behind you?  I'm only at 6 weeks, however am actually finding it a bit easier the past couple of weeks, don't think about it so much.  What helps is I did prepare for the last few years a bit, can't smoke at work which was nice, refused to smoke in a vehicle and I commute over 1hr each way to get to work, also have not smoked in our home for years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom