Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How's it going Jim and Ray?  Still on the wagon I hope.  Decided to climb on with both of you!!!

Smoking for 30 odd years.  Have quit several times but within a few months I fall off the wagon and don't climb back on. (So Ray, keep climbing back on)  DH is doing it with me this time so I hope we can get through it with the support of each other and with the support of family and friends.  I hate that I stink all the time and have a persistent cough.  Life has to be better then this!

Hope you guys are doing well and wish me and the DH luck.

Robin

Doing great here!  I don't think about it all the time now, once n' a while I feel strange like something is missing, however passes quickly.  I think next Saturday is 11 weeks, not keeping track anymore really, I do remember the day though, stopped 10 March!  Ray, how ya been?  Way ta' go Robin, best of luck, stay with it!

Good for all of you quitters ! You can do it. I no longer remember the exact date but it was June 1981. Can't imagine trying to breath on hikes in the high country if I hadn't quit.

Wendy
Moab UT

My dad quit smoking May 9, 1995...that's the day he died from his final heart attack.  First heart attack when he was 46 years old.  Died of heart failure and emphysema.  His brothers that didn't smoke lived to be in their 90's...dad in his 70's...and the last years were not fun.  Don't start and if you have...please STOP!  Life is too precious to lose it to cigarettes.    :'(

How's it going Jim and Ray?  Still on the wagon I hope.  Decided to climb on with both of you!!!

Off again - on again - back again -Flanigan! Having  Hell of a time. I'll be boarding again, shortly. Glad to see some new quitters joining. I'm the longest unsuccessful quitter, here, now.

I get inspiration here. When I need to start over, I come here and read, again. Good luck fellow quitters.

Ray D  :)

You can do it Ray...here's some help right here in Idaho.  http://www.projectfilter.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=66 

I smoked for 25 years. 1 1/2 packs a day, plus half a dozen pipes or cigars. Then I held my father's hand while he died of lung cancer, Feb 27th, 1992. I told my wife that I wasn't going to go that way. March 2, 1992 was my last smoke. You just got to want to quit more than you want to smoke.

Lee

Ray, I haven't been on in a while but you may feel better to know I haven't conquered it either.  We lost a dog and life ended for us which going for the smokes was easy to do.  We have since gotten a new puppy but I'm still smoking and from I gather you are doing much better than I.  I do have to get back on the wagon and hope to conquer this terrible nasty addiction.

I'm still smoking and from I gather you are doing much better than I.
Good luck to you. Keep going.

You may be gathering too much. I'm not one bit pleased with my progress. I have a super stressful situation that does seem to be improving. Haven't had the motorhome on the road for going on three years, now. Living alone in it at an RV Park. Broken hip still not healed. I don't want to make anyone cry, but this is tough. Still, everyday I have a knock-down-drag-out-fistfight with quitting. Going to do it. Think it will be sudden, when I get there. May start eating the cigs, or at least giving them a nasty bite, instead of lighting them on fire!  :mad:

For what it's worth, Donna and I noted that we didn't see anyone smoking at the Moab Rally.  In fact, one evening, we were hosted to supper and entertainment from the campground owner & family, and one of the non framily camper wandered over, and proceeded to light up a cigaret.  The smell was quite noticeable, and she moved on once the song was finished.
    Keep up your efforts, it is worth it.

Ed

I've recently quit smoking, I plan on for good.  I've smoked on and off, for the past 20 years.  I'd stop, then start up again, I think most smokers understand.

This last month, I battled a bad respiratory infection (virus) in my lungs.  This was a wake up call.  Difficulty breathing, and I saw my future ahead of me if I kept on smoking. 

It's been over a month since my last cigarette, and I'm steadfast in my conviction to remain strong and stay the course.  I don't ever, want to to have difficulty breathing again.  I can say that. 

Wow, a month.  It's been 5 days for me and it's killing me.  All I can do not to run out in the garage and smoke one. 

Hopefully it will get easier.  It's got to.  :(

Folks, I read this thread front to back. Having a tough time typing this with out making a mess of the keyboard, I just gotta say how happy I am for you and your families.
You are doing what my folks could never do. Keep up the good work!

Okay guys.  The drill "sarge" is back at it here with the tough love routine.  I know it's tough quitting, but I've got two suggestions.

First, take any and all cigarettes you have around your home and/or work, tear them apart, and put the debris in with the garbage so you can't possibly recover any of them.  And don't cheat by keeping a hidden stash!  Remember that - NO hidden stashes.  Zero, nada, none.

Second, do NOT buy any more cigarettes.  Not even one pack!  Avoid the stores where you normally buy them or the aisle of the store where you normally buy them.  You're tempting yourselves too much by having them around and you've got to stop doing that or you'll never quit.  Why do you feel you have to have some available???  The reality is that as long as they're readily available, you'll smoke them eventually because the temptation is just too great.  Serious dieters avoid going to bakeries, for example, to avoid all those yummy-looking desserts they don't want to eat.  Total avoidance is the only path to success.

Ray, I heard a TV report recently on whether that machine you've been using really works and guess what - researchers say it doesn't.  If you're still using it, that might be proof that you're on the wrong track for stopping smoking.  I know your conditions with the hip etc. aren't exactly conducive to quitting, but you need to - no must - try something different because what you've been doing isn't working.  I know you and if you can do some of the other things you've done in your life, you CAN do this!  A bunch of us out here are counting on it.  ;D

Ed's observation about no one at the Moab rally smoking was right on.  I hadn't realized it until I read his comment, but I don't know of a single person in our group who smokes.  There are quite a few former smokers, but no current smokers - unless one or two are in the closet!  ::)

ArdraF

You guys read and heed what Sgt Ardra said. Get rid of the ciggies, do NOT keep some around "just in case" because you are making sure that "just in case" happens. I'm dieting and I simply can not have cookies and candy in the house, if they're here, I eat them. So trash the ciggies and the lighters and the ashtrays. Do a major house cleanoing to get rid of all the smoke smell - you'll be surprised how this helps because your house / RV smells good, you sure don't want to do that cleaning again.

I hadn't noticed that no one in Moab was smoking until we were at the Bar M and a busload of French tourists came and sat near us and two of them were smoking - ICK and YUCK. I had to get up and move.

YOU CAN DO IT !
Wendy
Non-smoker since May 1981

What Ardra said!  What Wendy said!  We know it's tough to quit because we've done it.  You'll be sooooo happy when you finally reach cigarette abstinance.  Once you've succeeded you'll be absolutely revolted by the smell.

Margi

If you think stopping smoking is tough then try to get a lung transplant, try living at the end of an oxygen hose....hell..smoking is easy to quit in comparison...I cant quit this..

Sorry but I hope it helps someone stop :(

12 weeks today, doing fine.  My Brother showed yesterday for a visit, sat near me in the driveway and was smoking, I could not take it, had to go in the house.  Just don't want to be close to a lit cigarette!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom