EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Quit smoking  (Read 164398 times)

wellsronald18

• ---
Re: Quit smoking
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2012, 05:58:29 AM »
I know itís very hard to quit smoking but donít just try to quit, just decide once to quit. And where thereís a will, thereís a way.

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2012, 10:11:45 AM »
Going on 7 weeks.  Still thinking about it and still wanting it but I know it will get easier.  My DH is sticking in there also.  We are down each others throats sometimes but we both know why and we're really proud of each other. 

Hanging in there
Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2012, 11:46:12 AM »
Just finished my first two week Myrtle Beach vacation as a non-smoker, pretty cool!
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
Just finished my first two week Myrtle Beach vacation as a non-smoker, pretty cool!
Attaboy!  It gets even better the longer you go.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Irover

• ---
« Reply #184 on: September 30, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »
I quit smoking the morning of March 30th 2012. Awoke around 4:15 for a mother nature call, felt like I was going to fall over and went back to lay down. About 5 mins. and pain started shooting across my upper back and shoulders. Got up and poured a glass of water and sat in the chair; lit a smoke and after two puffs; put it out; now the pain was in my upper chest. I sat there until about 6:30 and the tingling started in my arms. I knew now that I hadn't pulled a muscle in my upper back. Called the manager and told him would have to go to the hospital. I think we arrived there around 7:45 AM and I was immediately was rushed to the OR; had two stents put in the right side of my heart, two days later one more stent and a balloon inflated in a smaller artery. I was plugged with chloresterol; 90% and fortunate to have survived. After 4-5 tries; I finally decided to quit for good; breathe better but still have anxiety attacks.
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »
Irover..thats what did it for me, woke up with pain across chest then to arms, took 2 aspirin and wife drove me to hospital..last cigarette July 17, 2000. best thing I ever did for myself..heart attack kinds saved my life. If I had quit sooner maybe I would not have had to get a lung transplant, who knows :-\
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »
10 days shy of 7mos.  While some do not think I'm 'out of the woods' yet, I certainly do, 35yrs was more than enough.  Do I 'miss smoking', sure, believe it or not yes.  However I 'miss' being in the Marines, however will never be active duty again that's for sure!!!!  Time to move on.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
Congrats on the 7-months smokeless. Just keep reminding yourself that you don't ever again want to go thru the early quitting stage. I quit 3 times before it stuck, once was a 14-month quit. What a waste !

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2012, 07:03:28 PM »
DH and I just hit 5 months and still hanging in there.  Still hard?...you bet.  Still worth it?...you bet. 
Robin & Charles
2008 F250 Powerstroke

Irover

• ---
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »
Catblaster! I hope never put another smoke between my lips ever again! Wish all the warnings now were there before I got hooked when I was young. My excuse was smokes calmed my nerves. Almost calmed them permanently!

Congrats to everyone! It is sometimes a one minute at a time not to light up for the first few months.

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2012, 04:08:02 PM »
Well now... the 'new' challenge has actually moved from not smoking to now losing the extra weight that I put on in the last 8mos while quitting smoking!  Kind of neat being consumed by an alternative thought to smoking... and now being consumed with (don't put any sweet in your mouth) something different!  Went to the doctor recently, that was extremely satisfying, first time since the 70's that I could answer "no" to 'do you smoke'!  Doctor was so cool, kept clapping and making a huge deal of quitting.  Finally ended the visit with... "you need to lose 20Ibs"..... well, more than that, but 20 is a place to start....   Really neat tidbit here is that without smoking, BP is down so far Doc say's "you keep this up and the BP medicine may not be needed".... What a nice adventure this is turning out to be.  Anyone else that jumped on this bandwagon 8mos ago, stay on it, this is a great ride!
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »
Hint:  A high-fiber diet with lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains will stick with you a lot longer that what most Americans tend to eat.  If you fill up on them you won't be as hungry for the other things that help you gain weight.  Gee, maybe we'll get you so healthy you'll start running marathons!  ;D :D  Anytime you can get off medications it's good.  Congrats on the improvement and maybe your next dr. visit will be even better.  Sounds like one cool doc!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
Congratulations ;D ;D I was told that losing weight was easy..just poop out more than you eat in :o  You could do it my way...Aug 28 Doc said I had to get my BMI down to 30....OK did that by Sept 5 Doc is telling me to get BMI up to 28. I lost 20 lbs in just a few days after surgery...not recommended. :-\   
Seriously the Best results were not eating starchy (white) no rice, potatoes,bread etc. lots of protein and exercise at gym (physical therapy)
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »
Thanks ArdraF, now there is a blast from the past....  Did a Marathon back in 88'!  Not sure I'll get back to that shape but something to work for!   :)
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2012, 04:57:25 PM »
Any goal is good!  ::)

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »
    DW & I are a few weeks short of 5 years since we smoked.  Last year we went on a Weight Watchers regiment.  DW lost 30 and I lost about 25 pounds in a couple of months.  Just remember, it is a lot easier to lose a few pounds than it was to quit smoking, so don't weaken.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #196 on: November 10, 2012, 12:15:49 PM »
    DW & I are a few weeks short of 5 years since we smoked.  Last year we went on a Weight Watchers regiment.  DW lost 30 and I lost about 25 pounds in a couple of months.  Just remember, it is a lot easier to lose a few pounds than it was to quit smoking, so don't weaken.

Ed

I love WW, lost 18 pounds in the spring using their nifty phone app. But I've always found losing weight harder than quitting smoking. You quit smoking and never touch a ciggie as long as you live. But you can't give up food completely, can you?
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2012, 08:11:14 PM »
6 months of no smoking for DH and I and since DH got the heart stent 3 months ago we have been working out and dieting.  Cut out all the white starches, no white rice and white noodles is killing us.  Slowly losing (about a pound a week) and getting healthier.  Doc doesn't consider us non smokers until we hit a year so hopefully we'll get there. 
Good job on the no smoking Jim.  Now get the weight off.  You know you're our poster child :D

Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 F250 Powerstroke

Irover

• ---
« Reply #198 on: November 14, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
 ;D Congrats Guys and Gals! I notice I have more belly-fat now, might have something to do with eating 3 meals instead of 1 & 1/2. Geesh! quit alcohol in 1988, quit smoking in March 2012, now have to watch my food intake------next it will be sex; LOL; will that make me a saint!!!!! Irover

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #199 on: November 14, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »
;D Congrats Guys and Gals! I notice I have more belly-fat now, might have something to do with eating 3 meals instead of 1 & 1/2. Geesh! quit alcohol in 1988, quit smoking in March 2012, now have to watch my food intake------next it will be sex; LOL; will that make me a saint!!!!! Irover
Sounds to me like you might need the exercise. :P
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #200 on: December 09, 2012, 03:20:34 AM »
WOW!  I never noticed this thread before and just ran across it.  I don't know if it will help me, but let me throw my new plight out there and maybe someones insight can convince me to do this.

A couple of months ago, my DW's employer started a new Wellness program associated with her medical benefits.  I have been on her insurance for many years due to the fact that her benefits were either equal to, or better than through my employer.  It was just easier to do everything through one insurance company.  As with many employers trying to accommodate the rising cost of health care and insurance premiums, the Wellness program was implemented.  In doing this, a requirement by the insurance company (BCBS) was to answer a battery of questions for them to determine your medical status and lifestyle.  If you were to refuse to go through this, you would automatically be put into the higher premium group.  I'm thinking extortion at this point.

I accommodated their requirements for pre-enrollment.  As a smoker, I am now required to be enrolled in their smoking cessation program.  If I were to refuse just the cessation program, I would be in the the higher premium group.  Luckily, my BMI is under 30.  Otherwise, I would also have to be enrolled in Weight Watchers also!  I am almost spitting extortion bullets by now!  Who the Hell are they to tell me how to live!!!  And then tell me if I don't conform, I will pay more!  I understand that question opens up a can of worms that could go on for days.  Not my point to make.  It's just that after 35+ years of enjoying a cigarette when I want one is suddenly hindered by some jackass on a bi-monthly phone call by my "nurse coach" trying to make me feel better about their attempt to better my life. 

This has been going on for a couple of months now.  I hate every phone call.  I know that smoking is bad for me.  I would also like to be able to use the money I spend on cigarettes on something else.  But, I am finding it very hard to justify the tactic BCBS is using to make them more profit.  And the only reason I am going through all of this by accomodating them is to prevent paying the higher premiums they hold over our heads.  I feel helpless.  I have been told I can't use the script type prescriptions due to the fact I drive a commercial motor vehicle for a living.  Something about the side effects associated with those drugs.  Over the counter stuff is expensive as heck, and I was never ready to quit in the first place.  I'm having a hard time with this.

I sure as heck don't want to gain back the 35 lbs. I have lost over the past 1 1/2 years by quiting smoking.  I don't have a sweet tooth, so snacking on candy instead of lighting up is out of the question.  Snacking on anything while driving isn't really a good idea anyway due to the fact I drive at night and need to focus on the road.  Not a gum chewer of any sort.  Winter is going to take it's toll on my smoking also.  Most of the roads I drive at night are country roads.  Now that Winter is upon us, while the respective county road commission's plow drivers decide to roll their happy union butts out of bed only about an hour before rush hour, I am out there puffing away trying to do my job all night long as the road conditions get worse until they finish their morning coffee and donuts.  Not a good time to try and quit smoking.

Ok.  That's my story.  Enough said.  I still smoke two packs a day.  I still tell my nurse coach "Good Luck" with convincing me.  I would LOVE to tell them about the extortion aspect of it all.  But I don't.  I realize they are just doing their job and they don't know me from Adam.  I'm still not ready to quit.  BUT, I would love to save the money spent on smokes and I know it would only do my good healthwise. 

Is there hope for me?   
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2012, 05:16:07 AM »
     You are exactly correct, no amout of outside force will entice you to quit.  What it takes is an internal decision that you need to do it.  I can tell you that is the only way that both DW & I quit.  But in the end, the ability to go for a walk without wheezing or coughing, or walk up a moderate or steep hill without stopping to catch your breath all make it well worth while.  As for weight gain, it isn't the candy, it is that everything just tastes so much better.
     We are almost exactly seven years now, and we found the prescribed Chanpix (Canadian spelling of Chantix in US).  It is a 3 month commitment, but it sure worked for us, as well as our SIL who quit at the same time.
     So, forget about the new insurance plans, just think about how much it means to you and how much it will add to your life style and length.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »
>Denmark...I know the feeling, the taxpayers thought it would be a good idea to do the same thing to the county employees. Funny though, when the shoe was put on their foot they revolted and called it unfair. 

Work on the smoking first, it's easier to loose the weight than to stop smoking. As long as you are smoking the Doc's will blame everything on that. I stopped after my heart attack in 2000 and they are still blaming that.

Lot's of luck, you can make it.  Later..Will
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »
Denmarc, I'm not a fan of insurance companies but, extortion is pretty strong.  If someone has a few drunk driving charges, they're going to pay a higher insurance premium on their vehicles.  Worse, as an over the road truck driver, if you are convicted of driving under the influence, you're most likely going to be looking for a new profession.   

For some, all that is needed to quit smoking is the proper motivation.  For me it was my son.  I didn't want to smoke around him as he was growing up.  That was 30 years ago.  My father wasn't so lucky.  His motivation was lung cancer.  He smoked for 40 years until his diagnosis.  Then he quit and never had another cigarette.  Unfortunately, he only had to fight the urge for six months. 

I know some smokers gain weight when they quit.  I didn't.  But in the past two years, I've gained maybe 20 lbs.  I attribute that to getting older, not exercising enough and too much wine.  My brother quit 4 years ago.  Now he has a $45.00 a month nicorette gum habit. 

I don't have a solution for you.  You'll have to figure that one out for yourself.  But you're an RVer.  You're working so most likely you're looking forward to RVing in retirement.  Make sure you can.  It's a blast.   :)   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #204 on: December 09, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »
When I started this thread I had no idea it would go on this long!  March 10th will be a year since quitting!  While I will never smoke again, I have gained plenty of weight, now that's the new challenge.  It's unbelievable how fast the weight came, I'm not fitting in anything I was wearing last March, that's for sure.  Hopefully by the 1yr mark I've got that weight off, we will see.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2012, 08:03:18 PM »
Denmarc,

I realized yrs ago after several attempts to quit smoking that you have to be ready to quit.  I was ready this time and it is still hard after 6 1/2 months.  Several things contributed to my quitting for good this time, Insurance wellness programs ( yes me too), not being able to smoke at work anymore, not being able to smoke anywhere anymore without being looked at like a criminal, not smoking around the kids and grandkids, and smelling like a cigarette all the time.  You really start feeling like a loner when you smoke because it's not acceptable anymore so you stay at home.

Health wise I feel really good right now and have not used an inhaler since a week after quitting.  I guess you could say I have saved my insurance company several hundred dollars on inhalers so they may have a point.  :-\

It's going to be harder for you since you work alone and can smoke whenever you want.  I keep telling myself that over a million people have quit smoking and I know that I have to be stronger then some of those people.

Find your reason and hang in there but it has to be more than the money.  The money saved is just the icing on the cake.
Robin & Charles
2008 F250 Powerstroke

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #206 on: December 10, 2012, 04:59:39 AM »
All great replies!  Maybe I need a better reason to quit, like Roadhappy mentioned.  Maybe I'm a confrontational type of person.  I kind of figured that anyways based on some previous threads in the past.  One that speaks their mind.  Which would explain the excuses I spewed to the nurse coach.   :-\

Here is where I stand:
I like to smoke.  Smoking helps get me through the night while working.  But, I know I should quit for myself and my family.  The motivation just isn't there.  I told my nurse coach that I was shooting for New Years to put the damn things down.  I am already doubting myself to accomplish that promise.

I know the money savings is a bit of a trivial thing.  But right now, that is the best I can come up with.  The anger towards the insurance companies is fueling the rebellion.  I am trying to come up with more concrete things to base my reasons for quiting on.  And then build upon that.  I'm working on it. 
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #207 on: December 10, 2012, 07:42:36 AM »
All great replies!  Maybe I need a better reason to quit, like Roadhappy mentioned.  Maybe I'm a confrontational type of person.  I kind of figured that anyways based on some previous threads in the past.  One that speaks their mind.  Which would explain the excuses I spewed to the nurse coach.   :-\

Here is where I stand:
I like to smoke.  Smoking helps get me through the night while working.  But, I know I should quit for myself and my family.  The motivation just isn't there.  I told my nurse coach that I was shooting for New Years to put the damn things down.  I am already doubting myself to accomplish that promise.

I know the money savings is a bit of a trivial thing.  But right now, that is the best I can come up with.  The anger towards the insurance companies is fueling the rebellion.  I am trying to come up with more concrete things to base my reasons for quiting on.  And then build upon that.  I'm working on it.

Well, if it's any help, I kinda went through the same thing you did.  I quit on September 11th, 1992.  I started smoking for the same reasons...rebellious.  Parents (Stepdad and Mom) smoked like chimneys, but I couldn't??  And they punished me to no end for smoking.  In the end, I still smoked.  Then I got married and had kids.  My wife doesn't and has never smoked, though her mother did.  I never smoked at home, except occassionally outside away from the wife and kids.  Then the military started cracking down on smoking.  And again the rebellious me kicked in.  Who are they to tell me to stop smoking.  In the end, I tried to quit a couple of times, for my family.  Cigarettes were still relatively cheap then, so money was not a factor.  And I only smoked around a pack to a pack and a half a week anyway.  But for me, it finally came down to "I was ready".  I just woke up one morning, and said "I am ready to quit".  I had one cigarette on the way to work that day, the last in a pack.  I had one more cigarette after that, 4 days later, during the eye of Hurricane Iniki (in Hawaii).  I have not smoked since. 

It really does come to the point that you have to be ready.  I can understand the rebellious feelings you are going through, and if you can set those aside and maybe think of the other reasons (money is certainly one...$45.00 for a carton of cigarettes...YIKES!).  But the kids and wife and other family as well.

I will throw one more thing out there.  My Mom died from smoking.  She was a 3 pack a day smoker, and her daily excercise amounted to getting up off the couch to fetch the remote control so she could change the channel to Wheel of Fortune.  She had her first heart failure in 2006, followed by a triple bypass.  They were not going to do the bypass unless she agreed to quit smoking.  They did the bypass and she did quit (made a little easier by me taking all her cigarettes, ash trays, lighters, matches, everything).  But it was really too late.  She was on oxygen from then on, had two more heart failures before the last one finally took her in 2008.  The worst part of that whole ordeal was seeing her in the ER or ICU everytime.  And her final weeks in a nursing home.  I won't go into details, but it was not a good time for me and my family.  My youngest brother was the last one in our family to quit smoking, and though it took him another year after Mom passed away, he did quit.  And Mom was his motivation.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #208 on: December 10, 2012, 12:28:22 PM »
The money savings isn't really a 'trivial' thing. If you're smoking 2 packs a day, you could make a car payment on what you'd save by quitting. You could take a cruise. You could eat out at a fancy restaurant weekly. You could remodel your house, buy new furniture, get a 70" TV. You could donate to your favorite charity. Just a thought.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #209 on: December 10, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »
The money savings isn't really a 'trivial' thing. If you're smoking 2 packs a day, you could make a car payment on what you'd save by quitting. You could take a cruise. You could eat out at a fancy restaurant weekly. You could remodel your house, buy new furniture, get a 70" TV. You could donate to your favorite charity. Just a thought.

Wendy

That's very true nowadays Wendy.  But when I quit, through the military, I could still get generic cigarettes for .50 a pack ($5.00 a carton).  And since I was only smoking one to two packs a week (at most), money was not a motivation for me.  If someone today is smoking even one pack a day, that's 3 cartons a month.  $45.00 X 3 = $135.00 a month.  It should certainly be a motivation now.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Hosted by Over The Network