Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it?s very hard to quit smoking but don?t just try to quit, just decide once to quit. And where there?s a will, there?s a way.

Going on 7 weeks.  Still thinking about it and still wanting it but I know it will get easier.  My DH is sticking in there also.  We are down each others throats sometimes but we both know why and we're really proud of each other. 

Hanging in there
Robin

Just finished my first two week Myrtle Beach vacation as a non-smoker, pretty cool!

I quit smoking the morning of March 30th 2012. Awoke around 4:15 for a mother nature call, felt like I was going to fall over and went back to lay down. About 5 mins. and pain started shooting across my upper back and shoulders. Got up and poured a glass of water and sat in the chair; lit a smoke and after two puffs; put it out; now the pain was in my upper chest. I sat there until about 6:30 and the tingling started in my arms. I knew now that I hadn't pulled a muscle in my upper back. Called the manager and told him would have to go to the hospital. I think we arrived there around 7:45 AM and I was immediately was rushed to the OR; had two stents put in the right side of my heart, two days later one more stent and a balloon inflated in a smaller artery. I was plugged with chloresterol; 90% and fortunate to have survived. After 4-5 tries; I finally decided to quit for good; breathe better but still have anxiety attacks.

Irover..thats what did it for me, woke up with pain across chest then to arms, took 2 aspirin and wife drove me to hospital..last cigarette July 17, 2000. best thing I ever did for myself..heart attack kinds saved my life. If I had quit sooner maybe I would not have had to get a lung transplant, who knows :-\

10 days shy of 7mos.  While some do not think I'm 'out of the woods' yet, I certainly do, 35yrs was more than enough.  Do I 'miss smoking', sure, believe it or not yes.  However I 'miss' being in the Marines, however will never be active duty again that's for sure!!!!  Time to move on.

Congrats on the 7-months smokeless. Just keep reminding yourself that you don't ever again want to go thru the early quitting stage. I quit 3 times before it stuck, once was a 14-month quit. What a waste !

Wendy

DH and I just hit 5 months and still hanging in there.  Still hard?...you bet.  Still worth it?...you bet. 

Catblaster! I hope never put another smoke between my lips ever again! Wish all the warnings now were there before I got hooked when I was young. My excuse was smokes calmed my nerves. Almost calmed them permanently!

Congrats to everyone! It is sometimes a one minute at a time not to light up for the first few months.

Well now... the 'new' challenge has actually moved from not smoking to now losing the extra weight that I put on in the last 8mos while quitting smoking!  Kind of neat being consumed by an alternative thought to smoking... and now being consumed with (don't put any sweet in your mouth) something different!  Went to the doctor recently, that was extremely satisfying, first time since the 70's that I could answer "no" to 'do you smoke'!  Doctor was so cool, kept clapping and making a huge deal of quitting.  Finally ended the visit with... "you need to lose 20Ibs"..... well, more than that, but 20 is a place to start....  Really neat tidbit here is that without smoking, BP is down so far Doc say's "you keep this up and the BP medicine may not be needed".... What a nice adventure this is turning out to be.  Anyone else that jumped on this bandwagon 8mos ago, stay on it, this is a great ride!

Hint:  A high-fiber diet with lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains will stick with you a lot longer that what most Americans tend to eat.  If you fill up on them you won't be as hungry for the other things that help you gain weight.  Gee, maybe we'll get you so healthy you'll start running marathons!  ;D :D  Anytime you can get off medications it's good.  Congrats on the improvement and maybe your next dr. visit will be even better.  Sounds like one cool doc!

ArdraF

Congratulations ;D ;D I was told that losing weight was easy..just poop out more than you eat in :eek:  You could do it my way...Aug 28 Doc said I had to get my BMI down to 30....OK did that by Sept 5 Doc is telling me to get BMI up to 28. I lost 20 lbs in just a few days after surgery...not recommended. :-\ 
Seriously the Best results were not eating starchy (white) no rice, potatoes,bread etc. lots of protein and exercise at gym (physical therapy)

Thanks ArdraF, now there is a blast from the past....  Did a Marathon back in 88'!  Not sure I'll get back to that shape but something to work for!  :)

DW & I are a few weeks short of 5 years since we smoked.  Last year we went on a Weight Watchers regiment.  DW lost 30 and I lost about 25 pounds in a couple of months.  Just remember, it is a lot easier to lose a few pounds than it was to quit smoking, so don't weaken.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    DW & I are a few weeks short of 5 years since we smoked.  Last year we went on a Weight Watchers regiment.  DW lost 30 and I lost about 25 pounds in a couple of months.  Just remember, it is a lot easier to lose a few pounds than it was to quit smoking, so don't weaken.

Ed

I love WW, lost 18 pounds in the spring using their nifty phone app. But I've always found losing weight harder than quitting smoking. You quit smoking and never touch a ciggie as long as you live. But you can't give up food completely, can you?

6 months of no smoking for DH and I and since DH got the heart stent 3 months ago we have been working out and dieting.  Cut out all the white starches, no white rice and white noodles is killing us.  Slowly losing (about a pound a week) and getting healthier.  Doc doesn't consider us non smokers until we hit a year so hopefully we'll get there. 
Good job on the no smoking Jim.  Now get the weight off.  You know you're our poster child :D

Robin

;D Congrats Guys and Gals! I notice I have more belly-fat now, might have something to do with eating 3 meals instead of 1 & 1/2. Geesh! quit alcohol in 1988, quit smoking in March 2012, now have to watch my food intake------next it will be sex; LOL; will that make me a saint!!!!! Irover

Irover said:
;D Congrats Guys and Gals! I notice I have more belly-fat now, might have something to do with eating 3 meals instead of 1 & 1/2. Geesh! quit alcohol in 1988, quit smoking in March 2012, now have to watch my food intake------next it will be sex; LOL; will that make me a saint!!!!! Irover
Sounds to me like you might need the exercise. :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom