EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Quit smoking  (Read 180159 times)

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
Re: Quit smoking
« Reply #300 on: January 07, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »
How about some tough love Mark.  Sounds like you want someone here to give you permission to start up again.     
You'll do o.k. Mark, just a few of the first hurdles to get over.
Daisy

After over 50 years on this planet, I am not looking for permission from anyone to do anything.  No offense.  I do know what you meant.  And I appreciate it.  My problem is I haven't quit yet.  I'm trying but haven't succeeded yet.  I have to do this for myself and my family.  I just had a harder time than expected last week.  Changes to the normal job routine in the past year that showed it's ugly face over the holidays.
Everything is all screwed up and myself, being at the end of the line, is expected to make everything sugar coated.  I'm doing my best to satisfy my dealers and get them their parts on time.  I'm also doing my best to satisfy myself.

I haven't given up and I do read each and every post.  I'm still in the game.  Just struggling a bit.  I'm not looking for sympathy either.  But the thoughts and support from what I read here helps me to gain strength to get through this.

Thanks to all of you.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »
Okay, Marc.  So this is a new week.  The last one was the pits, but it's over and done with.  Kaput.  So, forget about it and work on THIS week.  As they say, there's no time like the present.  And, after reading irover's comment about tubes and such, it would make me want to quit right now!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #302 on: January 09, 2013, 10:32:13 AM »
You are so right, AndraF!  As of late, I am looking at it this way...
I have gone from 2 packs a day for roughly 30 years down to less than a half pack in one week.  I call that progress.  NOT the progress I was shooting for, granted.  But the war with myself isn't over yet.
Mark

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

braindead

« Reply #303 on: January 09, 2013, 10:48:36 AM »
A lot of friends have had good luck after reading Allen Carr, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking"..  I read it after I quit (30years 2/3 packs a day) however it was helpful for my wife and several friends.  That's about all I can ad, it's very different for everyone I think.

Good luck.

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #304 on: January 09, 2013, 10:56:54 AM »
A lot of friends have had good luck after reading Allen Carr, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking"..  I read it after I quit (30years 2/3 packs a day) however it was helpful for my wife and several friends.  That's about all I can ad, it's very different for everyone I think.

Good luck.

Your reply is why I keep reading.  Thanks. 
Gotta go find something to do now before I cave in again.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Irover

• ---
« Reply #305 on: January 10, 2013, 11:10:50 AM »
You are so right, AndraF!  As of late, I am looking at it this way...
I have gone from 2 packs a day for roughly 30 years down to less than a half pack in one week.  I call that progress.  NOT the progress I was shooting for, granted.  But the war with myself isn't over yet.

Mark: I call that success!!! Keep going for it! You will do it it you keep going for less and less. Irover
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #306 on: January 11, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
Wadda ya think, Margi?  I am drawing on you. 
Mark

Dr. Seuss

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #307 on: January 11, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »
Mark..are you starting to get your sense of taste and smell back yet??   I never realized how bad Florida stinks (mold...mildew) until I quit.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #308 on: January 11, 2013, 12:27:03 PM »
Mark..are you starting to get your sense of taste and smell back yet??   I never realized how bad Florida stinks (mold...mildew) until I quit.

Funny you should ask.  I work nites and eating my "dinner" now.  It does taste different.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #309 on: January 11, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »
The taste of food will only get better. Have you found something to do when you get a craving ? I would often go for a walk which is something I used to smoke while doing but discovered that it was a lot more fun without cigs....lungs worked better, air smelled better. Reading was harder because I always had a cig next to me while reading. I also did a major cleaning of our house and car, spent a lot of hours and a lot of money getting it all clean and smelling good and when I wanted a cigarette, I just remembered that I would have to do that all over again. I have a friend who took up kntting when she quit smoking, kept her hands busy.

Hang in there. You Can Do It.
Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #310 on: January 11, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »
Thanks, Wendy.  Taken to heart.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #311 on: January 11, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
Wadda ya think, Margi?  I am drawing on you.

Just do it, Mark.  It's not easy.  Tom was "little hitler" for one afternoon only when he quit, but I had a terrible time for months.  The one thing above all that made me stick to quitting is that I didn't want to go through that agony again.  Everyone has their strongest craving trigger.  Mine was wanting a cigarette while driving.  I chewed gum instead when I was in the car. 

Just keep on keepin' on.  There just is no easy way to do it.  Don't beat yourself up if you slip, just start again.  It does get easier, I promise.

Margi

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #312 on: January 11, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »
Just keep on keepin' on.  There just is no easy way to do it.  Don't beat yourself up if you slip, just start again.  It does get easier, I promise.
Margi

Thank you, Margi. 
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Dance Chick

• ---
« Reply #313 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:36 PM »
Mark..I just talked with a lady yesterday who was on oxygen due to lung/breathing problems....she was a smoker.  She quit smoking 2 years ago and is now off the oxygen, and her oxygen numbers have greatly improved. Your body will thank you for this for many years to come.  You can do this. Hang tough.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog-but don't tell him)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox towing/Air Force One braking
"And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #314 on: January 11, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »

Just do it, Mark.  It's not easy.  Tom was "little hitler" for one afternoon only when he quit, but I had a terrible time for months.  The one thing above all that made me stick to quitting is that I didn't want to go through that agony again.  Everyone has their strongest craving trigger.  Mine was wanting a cigarette while driving.  I chewed gum instead when I was in the car. 

Margi

I just realized you may have touched on something in common.  I drive for a living.  All night long.  I am not a candy muncher (no sweet tooth) or gum chewer.  I have been "eating" toothpicks during this ordeal.  Yeah, I have slipped up a few times.  Eating while driving is actually not a good practice anyway.  Especially at night when sight field is very limited.  I don't even use my cell phone while driving at night for work.  I refuse to take the chance of hitting anyone (my fault or theirs) with a loaded semi-truck if I can help it.  It is during the night I get the strongest urges to light one up.  Or two, or three...

edit: fixed quote -LS
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:48:22 AM by Lou Schneider »
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #315 on: January 11, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »
Toothpicks are good.  Very low in calories salt free.  ;D   Anything that keeps your mouth busy seems to help.  How about one of those rolled jerky thingies?   Can't remember what they're called. 

Margi

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #316 on: January 11, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Try SNUFF.... no smoke involved.    Yuck.
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #317 on: January 11, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
The taste of food will only get better.
Alas, we know why ex smokers gain weight. :)
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #318 on: January 12, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
Try SNUFF.... no smoke involved.    Yuck.

No thanks, but thanks for the idea.   :P

I work with a guy that chews.  I know that my habit is not appealling to a lot of people.  But chewing/sucking on a "bale of hay" is for cows.  Not for humans!  And spitting it where ever, or saving it in a bottle?...I think I am going to barf now!

Matter of opinion, I know.  I would just as soon be done with tobacco all together.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #319 on: January 12, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »
My dear ole Dad chewed Days Work tobacco, he'd spit out the window of the old ford van and the side windows would pick it up and put it right in my face. The side of the old truck was always a mess, you know who had to wash it too. Had a peach can beside his chair and in the winter he'd spit in the fireplace....what an aroma....now I'm gagging....  :P

Mark.....I screw up on a project one day and expected a serious butt chewing but my boss said something that may pertain to "slipping". He said that every new day bring a whole new chance of redemption". If you slip today...make it up tomorrow.

Hang in there...this is the best thing you will ever do for yourself :)
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #320 on: January 13, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »
Hang in there...this is the best thing you will ever do for yourself :)

Working on it.  Thanks.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Very happy this post has lasted so long, hopefully the longer it lasts the more smokers jump on the wagon.  For me, wow, things going very well (other than the nasty super-cold I had last week!) getting ready for that 'one year' party this coming March 10th!!!!  This is so awesome, nice milestones in the past year have been; conversation with doctor (who was so impressed with the quitting) conversation with dentist (who was so impressed with quitting) and the grand stone of all..... I breath so much easier than I did during the 35yrs of smoking!!!! 
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2013, 04:35:46 PM »
Congratulations, Jim, and good for you!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #323 on: January 15, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
Congratulations, Jim, and good for you!

ArdraF

Ditto, jje1960!  You, as well as many on this thread, know what I am trying accomplish.  I hope I am as strong as you.  I'm doing OK, just not as I expected.  You made it!  Don't turn back.  Your way too far ahead to fail now.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #324 on: January 15, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »
Mark - You know what I would like you to do is to tell me exactly why you smoke? Is it because it makes you look more suave and debonair? Is it because it makes you look older? Is it because it is so cool to smoke? Is it because you need something to do with your hands? Exactly why do you want to smoke?
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #325 on: January 15, 2013, 12:19:18 PM »
Mark - You know what I would like you to do is to tell me exactly why you smoke? Is it because it makes you look more suave and debonair? Is it because it makes you look older? Is it because it is so cool to smoke? Is it because you need something to do with your hands? Exactly why do you want to smoke?

I see where you are going.  It's OK.  It's hard to look debonair and suave, or to look "cool" when someone like me spends the majority of their time by themselves.  I work alone.  No fellow co-workers to talk to (other than by phone).   I work a different shift than my DW.  I'm asleep when she gets home from her job.  I sure as Hell don't need/want to look any older to anyone!  I have nobody to look cool or debonair to!  Sounds like it would be a simple solution.  It's not.

As far as why I "want to"?  Very good question.  My father did.  Peer pressure in high school.  My friends did.  Many friends do still.  How many answers do you want to make me sound like I am looking for excuses?

Can you relate?
Mark

Dr. Seuss

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #326 on: January 15, 2013, 12:36:18 PM »

As far as why I "want to"?  Very good question.  My father did.  Peer pressure in high school.  My friends did.  Many friends do still.  How many answers do you want to make me sound like I am looking for excuses?

Can you relate?
Oh yes, I can relate. I went through the same problems when I quit.

But the question I should have asked is why do you now wish to keep on smoking? What pleasure do you get from them to make you spend $10 a day on cigarettes?

But I am a really hard headed guy about certain things so I refused to give in.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #327 on: January 16, 2013, 10:40:38 AM »
But the question I should have asked is why do you now wish to keep on smoking? What pleasure do you get from them to make you spend $10 a day on cigarettes?

And the answer is...
It's not really that I wish to continue.  It's more like I really don't care enough if I continue.  I know that sounds bad.  But I have always lived for the day.  I try to have as much fun as I can on a daily basis so at the end of the day, I look forward to tomorrow.  Does that make any sense?  I just hate waking up and getting ready for work already pissed off at something or having a bad attitude because I already know whats to come.

I guess the habit engraved itself into my life.  I know I should quit (for obvious reasons) and it wouldn't bother me to quit (if it were out of my mind altogether). 
And I mentioned before that the extra money saved will bring that cruise to Australia I want closer to reality quicker!  Just an another incentive.  I've cut WAY back.  A good note.  But I'm finding it very difficult to handle during the night hours while working lately due to issues I have no control over.  Along with the Winter weather here on the country roads I drive on every night.  A cig helps me to alleviate the stress.  Or, at least the thought of it does.   

I don't know if anything I just typed means anything to anyone.  It's just how I feel.  I am just being honest.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

inflt

• ---
« Reply #328 on: January 16, 2013, 11:03:41 AM »
In my case, I enjoyed smoking. Cigarettes, pipe, cigars, usually all three in the same day. I quit in February, 1992. I was just shy of my 44th birthday. I held my father's hand while he died of lung cancer, actually drowning in his own body fluids. It was such a stupid, avoidable thing. He used to say if he had the guts behind his belt that he had over his belt he would quit. But he never did.

It was just senseless that he had to die. I loved him so much. I had to make his death mean something, at least to me. So I determined, then and there that if nothing else, I myself could quit. On his behalf. I knew, if he were still alive, that he would approve of that. So, in my grief-ridden mind, I could make his meaningless death mean something. So I did, I quit cold turkey.

For the next year, I don't believe I went 20 waking minutes without thinking about and wanting a smoke. The second year, I don't think I went a waking hour without wanting one. I mean, I was hard core addicted. But it's been 20 years now that I been off smoke, and the only time I miss it is if I happen to be around someone who just lit up. It still smells good to me. OTOH, when I walk into a place with stale smoke, it stinks!

YMMV, but this is my story.

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #329 on: January 16, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
In my case, I enjoyed smoking. Cigarettes, pipe, cigars, usually all three in the same day. I quit in February, 1992. I was just shy of my 44th birthday. I held my father's hand while he died of lung cancer, actually drowning in his own body fluids. It was such a stupid, avoidable thing. He used to say if he had the guts behind his belt that he had over his belt he would quit. But he never did.

It was just senseless that he had to die. I loved him so much. I had to make his death mean something, at least to me. So I determined, then and there that if nothing else, I myself could quit. On his behalf. I knew, if he were still alive, that he would approve of that. So, in my grief-ridden mind, I could make his meaningless death mean something. So I did, I quit cold turkey.

For the next year, I don't believe I went 20 waking minutes without thinking about and wanting a smoke. The second year, I don't think I went a waking hour without wanting one. I mean, I was hard core addicted. But it's been 20 years now that I been off smoke, and the only time I miss it is if I happen to be around someone who just lit up. It still smells good to me. OTOH, when I walk into a place with stale smoke, it stinks!

YMMV, but this is my story.

Bravo!  You are a sucess story.  My hat is off to you. 
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Hosted by Over The Network