Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daisy said:
How about some tough love Mark.  Sounds like you want someone here to give you permission to start up again.   
You'll do o.k. Mark, just a few of the first hurdles to get over.
Daisy

After over 50 years on this planet, I am not looking for permission from anyone to do anything.  No offense.  I do know what you meant.  And I appreciate it.  My problem is I haven't quit yet.  I'm trying but haven't succeeded yet.  I have to do this for myself and my family.  I just had a harder time than expected last week.  Changes to the normal job routine in the past year that showed it's ugly face over the holidays.
Everything is all screwed up and myself, being at the end of the line, is expected to make everything sugar coated.  I'm doing my best to satisfy my dealers and get them their parts on time.  I'm also doing my best to satisfy myself.

I haven't given up and I do read each and every post.  I'm still in the game.  Just struggling a bit.  I'm not looking for sympathy either.  But the thoughts and support from what I read here helps me to gain strength to get through this.

Thanks to all of you.

Okay, Marc.  So this is a new week.  The last one was the pits, but it's over and done with.  Kaput.  So, forget about it and work on THIS week.  As they say, there's no time like the present.  And, after reading irover's comment about tubes and such, it would make me want to quit right now!

ArdraF

You are so right, AndraF!  As of late, I am looking at it this way...
I have gone from 2 packs a day for roughly 30 years down to less than a half pack in one week.  I call that progress.  NOT the progress I was shooting for, granted.  But the war with myself isn't over yet.

A lot of friends have had good luck after reading Allen Carr, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking"..  I read it after I quit (30years 2/3 packs a day) however it was helpful for my wife and several friends.  That's about all I can ad, it's very different for everyone I think.

Good luck.

braindead said:
A lot of friends have had good luck after reading Allen Carr, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking"..  I read it after I quit (30years 2/3 packs a day) however it was helpful for my wife and several friends.  That's about all I can ad, it's very different for everyone I think.

Good luck.

Your reply is why I keep reading.  Thanks. 
Gotta go find something to do now before I cave in again.

denmarc said:
You are so right, AndraF!  As of late, I am looking at it this way...
I have gone from 2 packs a day for roughly 30 years down to less than a half pack in one week.  I call that progress.  NOT the progress I was shooting for, granted.  But the war with myself isn't over yet.

Mark: I call that success!!! Keep going for it! You will do it it you keep going for less and less. Irover

Mark..are you starting to get your sense of taste and smell back yet??  I never realized how bad Florida stinks (mold...mildew) until I quit.

catblaster said:
Mark..are you starting to get your sense of taste and smell back yet??  I never realized how bad Florida stinks (mold...mildew) until I quit.

Funny you should ask.  I work nites and eating my "dinner" now.  It does taste different.

The taste of food will only get better. Have you found something to do when you get a craving ? I would often go for a walk which is something I used to smoke while doing but discovered that it was a lot more fun without cigs....lungs worked better, air smelled better. Reading was harder because I always had a cig next to me while reading. I also did a major cleaning of our house and car, spent a lot of hours and a lot of money getting it all clean and smelling good and when I wanted a cigarette, I just remembered that I would have to do that all over again. I have a friend who took up kntting when she quit smoking, kept her hands busy.

Hang in there. You Can Do It.
Wendy

denmarc said:
Wadda ya think, Margi?  I am drawing on you.

Just do it, Mark.  It's not easy.  Tom was "little hitler" for one afternoon only when he quit, but I had a terrible time for months.  The one thing above all that made me stick to quitting is that I didn't want to go through that agony again.  Everyone has their strongest craving trigger.  Mine was wanting a cigarette while driving.  I chewed gum instead when I was in the car. 

Just keep on keepin' on.  There just is no easy way to do it.  Don't beat yourself up if you slip, just start again.  It does get easier, I promise.

Margi

Mark..I just talked with a lady yesterday who was on oxygen due to lung/breathing problems....she was a smoker.  She quit smoking 2 years ago and is now off the oxygen, and her oxygen numbers have greatly improved. Your body will thank you for this for many years to come.  You can do this. Hang tough.

Tom and Margi said:
Just do it, Mark.  It's not easy.  Tom was "little hitler" for one afternoon only when he quit, but I had a terrible time for months.  The one thing above all that made me stick to quitting is that I didn't want to go through that agony again.  Everyone has their strongest craving trigger.  Mine was wanting a cigarette while driving.  I chewed gum instead when I was in the car. 

Just keep on keepin' on.  There just is no easy way to do it.  Don't beat yourself up if you slip, just start again.  It does get easier, I promise.

Margi

I just realized you may have touched on something in common.  I drive for a living.  All night long.  I am not a candy muncher (no sweet tooth) or gum chewer.  I have been "eating" toothpicks during this ordeal.  Yeah, I have slipped up a few times.  Eating while driving is actually not a good practice anyway.  Especially at night when sight field is very limited.  I don't even use my cell phone while driving at night for work.  I refuse to take the chance of hitting anyone (my fault or theirs) with a loaded semi-truck if I can help it.  It is during the night I get the strongest urges to light one up.  Or two, or three...

edit: fixed quote -LS

Toothpicks are good.  Very low in calories salt free.  ;D  Anything that keeps your mouth busy seems to help.  How about one of those rolled jerky thingies?  Can't remember what they're called. 

Margi

carson said:
Try SNUFF.... no smoke involved.    Yuck.

No thanks, but thanks for the idea.  :p

I work with a guy that chews.  I know that my habit is not appealling to a lot of people.  But chewing/sucking on a "bale of hay" is for cows.  Not for humans!  And spitting it where ever, or saving it in a bottle?...I think I am going to barf now!

Matter of opinion, I know.  I would just as soon be done with tobacco all together.

My dear ole Dad chewed Days Work tobacco, he'd spit out the window of the old ford van and the side windows would pick it up and put it right in my face. The side of the old truck was always a mess, you know who had to wash it too. Had a peach can beside his chair and in the winter he'd spit in the fireplace....what an aroma....now I'm gagging....  :p

Mark.....I screw up on a project one day and expected a serious butt chewing but my boss said something that may pertain to "slipping". He said that every new day bring a whole new chance of redemption". If you slip today...make it up tomorrow.

Hang in there...this is the best thing you will ever do for yourself :)

Back
Top Bottom