rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Quit smoking  (Read 293687 times)

Irover

• ---
Re: Quit smoking
« Reply #330 on: January 16, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
 :-\ I know how it is Mark; I will reiterate that this I believe is the 5th time I have quit. The first being in 1990 then starting back about 11 months later, the second, 1996 for maybe 8 months, the third in 2005 for about 14 months, the 4th in 2010 for about 17 months. The 5th and last time I hope, was this past March.
     It is difficult even today at times even though I've told myself over and over that it practically led to my demise. It always seemed to calm me when I was stressed; or when I was relaxing it was a way to have something to do. Almost relaxed myself completely. I have to keep enforcing that I breath better, food is more tasteful; gained 15 lbs, and Looked in the mirror this morning close and noticed some of the wrinkles on my face have almost disappeared. Noticed I don't cough and hack as much, even though I'm on blood pressure meds that have this side effect. The biggest thing I have trouble with is controlling my anxiety, that anxious feeling I get thinking I have not done enough when the day is done.
    I really hope you will kick it one day soon and you really notice the benefits of doing it. Take care; Man!
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

catblaster

• ---
  • born 1949, rebuilt 2012 with used parts
« Reply #331 on: January 16, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »
Beside enjoying the taste, i was COOL.. 8). Hell I WAS James Dean. Greasy, bloody knuckles, rolled up t-shirt sleeves with a pack of smokes, rolled up jeans and head under the hood of a 67 vette. I had to smoke to keep up my image. Man what a dummy :o
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #332 on: January 16, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »
Bravo!  You are a sucess story.  My hat is off to you.

There's one of these for you to man.  Just hang in there.  We're saving it for you!
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #333 on: January 17, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »
There's one of these for you to man.  Just hang in there.  We're saving it for you!

You got a deal.  Your support, along with the rest of those who replied, is weighing heavy on my mind.  I feel guilty as heck right now. 
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #334 on: January 17, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »
No need to feel guilty. Just get back in there. It ain't easy but it can be done. Look how many of us here have done it.

Wendy
Wendy and Mike
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

inflt

• ---
« Reply #335 on: January 17, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »
The bottom line for me, after trying it a hundred times, was realizing I had to want to quit more than I wanted to smoke. Once I found that reason to want to quit, it was doable. Not easy, but doable. But I had to want to quit worse, before I could. Hardest thing in this life I ever did, but if I can do it, as addicted as I was (am?), anyone can. Just find the reason that makes you want quitting worse than you want to continue.

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #336 on: January 19, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »
The bottom line for me, after trying it a hundred times, ....

Only tried twice before.  Once, for 5 months.  The other not worth mentioning.   
I am still working on it.  I haven't given up.

Wendy,
I hear you. And I take your reply, as well as others, to heart. 
I do feel guilty.  But still trying.  Make sense?
Mark

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #337 on: January 24, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
Mark

Dr. Seuss

braindead

« Reply #339 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »
The bottom line for me, after trying it a hundred times, was realizing I had to want to quit more than I wanted to smoke. Once I found that reason to want to quit, it was doable. Not easy, but doable. But I had to want to quit worse, before I could. Hardest thing in this life I ever did, but if I can do it, as addicted as I was (am?), anyone can. Just find the reason that makes you want quitting worse than you want to continue.
+1..  There is no point in 'trying to quit'.  You just need to quit, no try (ala Yoda ;-).  When you 'try to quit' you're simply setting yourself up for failure IMO. 

Irover

• ---
« Reply #340 on: January 25, 2013, 10:39:50 AM »
 8) I realize just quitting is the best; some like me had more denial than others. It will be 9 mos. for me the 3oth of this Month.

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #341 on: February 03, 2013, 03:25:13 PM »
Update:
Just in case anyone was wondering, I am still at a half pack a week.  Although, there have been days when I keep myself busy enough to not light up even one for a whole day.  Along with a consious effort to find myself something else to do when the urge strikes.

I'm still working at it. 
Mark

Dr. Seuss

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #342 on: February 03, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »
That is some great progress Mark, keep up the good work.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #343 on: February 03, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »
I was wondering how you were doing, Mark, and it sounds like you're coming right along.  Keep up the good work!  Soon, you won't even have to think about it anymore.  Well ... maybe not soon ... but sooner or later.  ;D

Margi

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #344 on: February 03, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
Awesome Mark.  Try now to set the goal for maybe a quarter pack a week.  What is that, maybe a smoke or two a day?  I know it's hard, but remember we're with you.  Keep up the good work!
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:03 AM »
Well ... maybe not soon ... but sooner or later.

Margi,
Lets shoot for "soon".

Awesome Mark.  Try now to set the goal for maybe a quarter pack a week.

Ed,
Your reading my mind.

Thanks all.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Irover

• ---
« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
Awesome News!!!! Congrats!

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #347 on: March 04, 2013, 02:25:56 PM »
Haven't forgot the thread.  Just alot going on.  Still about the same with a half pack a week.  A consious effort to say the least!  Up to a half pack a nite with driving through bad weather the past few weeks.  It's hard.  I'm still plugging away at it.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #348 on: March 04, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »
Going on 10 months for me.  Keep trying and one of these days in the near future it will happen.  It's harder for some than others but all of us can do it.

Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2013, 03:47:10 PM »
Just keep on keepin' on, Mark.  You'll get there!

Margi

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »
Keep after it. And don't beat yourself. No smoking is preferred but even half a pack a day is better than 2 packs a day. And keep thinking about that day when you can say you quit a year ago.

Wendy
Wendy and Mike
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #351 on: March 05, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »
And keep thinking about that day when you can say you quit a year ago.

I'm thinking about the day when I can say I quit last week!   :)
Gotta keep plugging away at it.  Thanks all.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

Irover

• ---
« Reply #352 on: March 05, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
  I remember when I was proud to have made it through one day. It is another of those "one day at a time" steps.

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
Re: Quit smoking=== Yea Man... 1yr Today!!
« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »
Yee-haa!!! One year today since I quit and started this thread!  For anyone wondering.... (maybe not) It did cost me some weight, all n' all I'm happy, even with the 25Ibs extra I'm carrying today.  Working on that now, quite a challenge!  Also for those that may be wondering (maybe not) I have been very lucky over the months with dealing with any 'urges', however must share this.... After months without any urges, about a week or two ago, I was having coffee, just sitting in the kitchen on a Sunday morning.... It came on me like a ton of bricks!  Have no idea what set it off, just came up.  Kind of mumbled about it for a minute or two, then went back to normal.  Very strange!

Good luck to all others quitting.
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

hes4all

• ---
  • On the Holy Cross Trail
« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
God bless you Jim.
Awesome job. :) ;) :D ;D
Terry and Janelle
Jeep Wrangler TJ
2 grand babies who will be Jeepers?
There's Life in the Red (read) Letters, Idaho

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #355 on: March 10, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
That's just wonderful, Jim.  So happy for you!!!

Margi

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #356 on: March 10, 2013, 02:44:37 PM »
Yee-haa!!! One year today since I quit and started this thread!  For anyone wondering.... (maybe not) It did cost me some weight, all n' all I'm happy, even with the 25Ibs extra I'm carrying today.  Working on that now, quite a challenge!  Also for those that may be wondering (maybe not) I have been very lucky over the months with dealing with any 'urges', however must share this.... After months without any urges, about a week or two ago, I was having coffee, just sitting in the kitchen on a Sunday morning.... It came on me like a ton of bricks!  Have no idea what set it off, just came up.  Kind of mumbled about it for a minute or two, then went back to normal.  Very strange!

Congrats!  FWIW - It took me well over a year before I quit reaching for my shirt pocket, especially when I encountered one of those times I would have typically lit one up - coffee breaks were about the worst.  However, it was not so much an urge as it was a unconscious habit, much easier to deflect.
Tom & Joyce and Mary & Frances (Westie pups)
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
Very good, Jim!  That's a wonderful accomplishment.  Someday you won't even be able to remember how many years it's been!  ;)

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2013, 08:39:29 PM »
Good for you ! Yes, very good for you !
Wendy and Mike
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Irover

• ---
« Reply #359 on: March 11, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »

Happy New Smoke free year!