Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very happy this post has lasted so long, hopefully the longer it lasts the more smokers jump on the wagon.  For me, wow, things going very well (other than the nasty super-cold I had last week!) getting ready for that 'one year' party this coming March 10th!!!!  This is so awesome, nice milestones in the past year have been; conversation with doctor (who was so impressed with the quitting) conversation with dentist (who was so impressed with quitting) and the grand stone of all..... I breath so much easier than I did during the 35yrs of smoking!!!! 

ArdraF said:
Congratulations, Jim, and good for you!

ArdraF

Ditto, jje1960!  You, as well as many on this thread, know what I am trying accomplish.  I hope I am as strong as you.  I'm doing OK, just not as I expected.  You made it!  Don't turn back.  Your way too far ahead to fail now.

Mark - You know what I would like you to do is to tell me exactly why you smoke? Is it because it makes you look more suave and debonair? Is it because it makes you look older? Is it because it is so cool to smoke? Is it because you need something to do with your hands? Exactly why do you want to smoke?

SeilerBird said:
Mark - You know what I would like you to do is to tell me exactly why you smoke? Is it because it makes you look more suave and debonair? Is it because it makes you look older? Is it because it is so cool to smoke? Is it because you need something to do with your hands? Exactly why do you want to smoke?

I see where you are going.  It's OK.  It's hard to look debonair and suave, or to look "cool" when someone like me spends the majority of their time by themselves.  I work alone.  No fellow co-workers to talk to (other than by phone).  I work a different shift than my DW.  I'm asleep when she gets home from her job.  I sure as Hell don't need/want to look any older to anyone!  I have nobody to look cool or debonair to!  Sounds like it would be a simple solution.  It's not.

As far as why I "want to"?  Very good question.  My father did.  Peer pressure in high school.  My friends did.  Many friends do still.  How many answers do you want to make me sound like I am looking for excuses?

Can you relate?

denmarc said:
As far as why I "want to"?  Very good question.  My father did.  Peer pressure in high school.  My friends did.  Many friends do still.  How many answers do you want to make me sound like I am looking for excuses?

Can you relate?
Oh yes, I can relate. I went through the same problems when I quit.

But the question I should have asked is why do you now wish to keep on smoking? What pleasure do you get from them to make you spend $10 a day on cigarettes?

But I am a really hard headed guy about certain things so I refused to give in.

SeilerBird said:
But the question I should have asked is why do you now wish to keep on smoking? What pleasure do you get from them to make you spend $10 a day on cigarettes?

And the answer is...
It's not really that I wish to continue.  It's more like I really don't care enough if I continue.  I know that sounds bad.  But I have always lived for the day.  I try to have as much fun as I can on a daily basis so at the end of the day, I look forward to tomorrow.  Does that make any sense?  I just hate waking up and getting ready for work already pissed off at something or having a bad attitude because I already know whats to come.

I guess the habit engraved itself into my life.  I know I should quit (for obvious reasons) and it wouldn't bother me to quit (if it were out of my mind altogether). 
And I mentioned before that the extra money saved will bring that cruise to Australia I want closer to reality quicker!  Just an another incentive.  I've cut WAY back.  A good note.  But I'm finding it very difficult to handle during the night hours while working lately due to issues I have no control over.  Along with the Winter weather here on the country roads I drive on every night.  A cig helps me to alleviate the stress.  Or, at least the thought of it does. 

I don't know if anything I just typed means anything to anyone.  It's just how I feel.  I am just being honest.

In my case, I enjoyed smoking. Cigarettes, pipe, cigars, usually all three in the same day. I quit in February, 1992. I was just shy of my 44th birthday. I held my father's hand while he died of lung cancer, actually drowning in his own body fluids. It was such a stupid, avoidable thing. He used to say if he had the guts behind his belt that he had over his belt he would quit. But he never did.

It was just senseless that he had to die. I loved him so much. I had to make his death mean something, at least to me. So I determined, then and there that if nothing else, I myself could quit. On his behalf. I knew, if he were still alive, that he would approve of that. So, in my grief-ridden mind, I could make his meaningless death mean something. So I did, I quit cold turkey.

For the next year, I don't believe I went 20 waking minutes without thinking about and wanting a smoke. The second year, I don't think I went a waking hour without wanting one. I mean, I was hard core addicted. But it's been 20 years now that I been off smoke, and the only time I miss it is if I happen to be around someone who just lit up. It still smells good to me. OTOH, when I walk into a place with stale smoke, it stinks!

YMMV, but this is my story.

inflt said:
In my case, I enjoyed smoking. Cigarettes, pipe, cigars, usually all three in the same day. I quit in February, 1992. I was just shy of my 44th birthday. I held my father's hand while he died of lung cancer, actually drowning in his own body fluids. It was such a stupid, avoidable thing. He used to say if he had the guts behind his belt that he had over his belt he would quit. But he never did.

It was just senseless that he had to die. I loved him so much. I had to make his death mean something, at least to me. So I determined, then and there that if nothing else, I myself could quit. On his behalf. I knew, if he were still alive, that he would approve of that. So, in my grief-ridden mind, I could make his meaningless death mean something. So I did, I quit cold turkey.

For the next year, I don't believe I went 20 waking minutes without thinking about and wanting a smoke. The second year, I don't think I went a waking hour without wanting one. I mean, I was hard core addicted. But it's been 20 years now that I been off smoke, and the only time I miss it is if I happen to be around someone who just lit up. It still smells good to me. OTOH, when I walk into a place with stale smoke, it stinks!

YMMV, but this is my story.

Bravo!  You are a sucess story.  My hat is off to you. 

:-\ I know how it is Mark; I will reiterate that this I believe is the 5th time I have quit. The first being in 1990 then starting back about 11 months later, the second, 1996 for maybe 8 months, the third in 2005 for about 14 months, the 4th in 2010 for about 17 months. The 5th and last time I hope, was this past March.
    It is difficult even today at times even though I've told myself over and over that it practically led to my demise. It always seemed to calm me when I was stressed; or when I was relaxing it was a way to have something to do. Almost relaxed myself completely. I have to keep enforcing that I breath better, food is more tasteful; gained 15 lbs, and Looked in the mirror this morning close and noticed some of the wrinkles on my face have almost disappeared. Noticed I don't cough and hack as much, even though I'm on blood pressure meds that have this side effect. The biggest thing I have trouble with is controlling my anxiety, that anxious feeling I get thinking I have not done enough when the day is done.
    I really hope you will kick it one day soon and you really notice the benefits of doing it. Take care; Man!

Beside enjoying the taste, i was COOL.. 8). Hell I WAS James Dean. Greasy, bloody knuckles, rolled up t-shirt sleeves with a pack of smokes, rolled up jeans and head under the hood of a 67 vette. I had to smoke to keep up my image. Man what a dummy :eek:

edjunior said:
There's one of these for you to man.  Just hang in there.  We're saving it for you!

You got a deal.  Your support, along with the rest of those who replied, is weighing heavy on my mind.  I feel guilty as heck right now. 

No need to feel guilty. Just get back in there. It ain't easy but it can be done. Look how many of us here have done it.

Wendy

The bottom line for me, after trying it a hundred times, was realizing I had to want to quit more than I wanted to smoke. Once I found that reason to want to quit, it was doable. Not easy, but doable. But I had to want to quit worse, before I could. Hardest thing in this life I ever did, but if I can do it, as addicted as I was (am?), anyone can. Just find the reason that makes you want quitting worse than you want to continue.

inflt said:
The bottom line for me, after trying it a hundred times, ....

Only tried twice before.  Once, for 5 months.  The other not worth mentioning. 
I am still working on it.  I haven't given up.

Wendy,
I hear you. And I take your reply, as well as others, to heart. 
I do feel guilty.  But still trying.  Make sense?

Mark -
Would you like to add ten years to your life?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865571432/Study-Quitting-smoking-increases-life-span-up-to-10-years.html

inflt said:
The bottom line for me, after trying it a hundred times, was realizing I had to want to quit more than I wanted to smoke. Once I found that reason to want to quit, it was doable. Not easy, but doable. But I had to want to quit worse, before I could. Hardest thing in this life I ever did, but if I can do it, as addicted as I was (am?), anyone can. Just find the reason that makes you want quitting worse than you want to continue.
+1..  There is no point in 'trying to quit'.  You just need to quit, no try (ala Yoda ;-).  When you 'try to quit' you're simply setting yourself up for failure IMO. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom