Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man O' man, nice to see the post is still going after all this time!  I'm still (and forever) a non-smoker since starting this post some 15 mos ago!

I'm still (and forever) a non-smoker since starting this post some 15 mos ago!

Congratulations Jim, and keep it up. I'm on year 34 or so, and there are still times when I'm tempted. But I know that just one moment of weakness would be a slippery slope. Stay strong!

BTW those tobacco execs committed purgery when they said under oath that "nicotine is not addictive".

I stopped my 1.5P/day habit 20 years ago and never once regretted it.
To this day, there are certain situations that will pop the receptors and I get the urge, but for the last 20 years I've convinced myself that I'm smarter than a cigarette and have not given in.

NOTE-
Not once above did I say I quit. Since the urge still haunts me occasionally I cannot make that claim.

To those who have stopped, CONGRATULATIONS and KEEP IT UP.
To those who gave in and let the cigarette play the lead role again, TRY AGAIN. You need to be the lead, not some dumb smoldering stick.

This morning while riding my bike I saw an empty cigarette pack laying in the street -- my first thought was, "Those careless smokers..." -- and it's only been just over 4? years since I quit.

I never smoked a lot but I have a bar in our rec room. Every night after work I would end up smoking a half a pack and drinking a six pack. Admittedly, it wasn't long ago but I decided one day that I have done enough. I'm in my 60's and I've been abusing my body all of my life. My health is excellent and I decided to keep it that way. So far I have had zero cigarettes and zero beer. I drink the water my wife (who quit on the same day) has been urging me to drink for years.

Den Socling.  Though you didn't tell us how long it's been since your stopped smokikng, and that really doesn't matter, I congratulate you upon improving your health and extending your life.  It's a tough road for anyone, but once started on it, you will see all sorts of increased benefits, from breathing better, to sleeping better, to eating  better, [unfortunately that's the worse part of it  ;)], and for just plain feeling better.  Have a wonderful rest of your life being smokeless.

Thank you, Daisy. I kind of passed a test on Saturday. I had a couple beers and cigarettes while watching football. But then I went back on the wagon. If I can be good 6 out of 7 days a week, I'll be happy. I've been eating fruit at night. Maybe, someday I'll be eating fruit while watching football.  ;)

Well done to all that have quit, happy when others take the journey.  I'm still (forever) on that 'quit' wagon, March 10th 2012 seems so long ago, great feeling!  Unfortunately, I smoked like 35yrs, we shall see how it comes out at the 'end of the day', however believe it was a great move.

Den Socling said:
Thank you, Daisy. I kind of passed a test on Saturday. I had a couple beers and cigarettes while watching football. But then I went back on the wagon. If I can be good 6 out of 7 days a week, I'll be happy. I've been eating fruit at night. Maybe, someday I'll be eating fruit while watching football.  ;)
Beer was a test for me, too, but morning coffee was my most difficult time.  I smoked for about 40 years.  Quit in '98 and my breathing improved almost immediately...no more morning "hack".  Chest X-rays and pulmonary function tests since then don't show any problems.  Now if I can just avoid any latent carcinogen effects...  Keep on keeping up!

Roadhappy said:
17 months for DH and I.  Woop! Woop! right along with you.  ;D ;D

Yea buddy.... will honk that horn with ya'll.... March 10th, 2012... Woop! Woop! Woop! :)

Reminded by another post.... I don't smoke no more!!!  Hope all others that are on the wagon have stayed on!!!  March 10th 2012 an' still going strong!

Wow, it will be 14 years for me on Tuesday. December 31, 1999. And I have never missed a cigarette for even a minute. They smell like puke to me. Congrats to everyone else who has quit. ;D

How many smokers have you heard (including myself) say something like, "I could quit any time I want, but I enjoy smoking and don't want to quit"?  I remember saying that the first time I tried to quit back in 1964 and failed.  Took about 35 years more for me to change my mind and quit for good.  Luckily, my body seems to have survived the abuse (so far), but when I think of the thousands of dollars I spent on it as well...at about $8/carton (rough avg through my smoking days) and 1-2 packs a day (carton and 1/2 per week, maybe), I was approaching 25 grand spent on tobacco products.  At today's tobacco prices, the cost skyrockets 10 fold.  So, if health isn't a big enough excuse to quit, add the cost and the not-so-minor discouragement by society, and it ought to start ringing a bell or lighting a light or something for smokers today.

I quit 2 months ago for the 3rd time in 5 years. The first had to do with havingbreast cancer, quit for a year and started again, then another surgery so quit again for a year. This time high cholesterol and an abnormal EKG. Now the Doc thinks I need to have a dye test and possibly a stint. I am trying to decide weather to do the dye test. Medicare pays some but I would still have to pay $1700 I guess. So quit smoking, eat better an am trying to exercise more. Good luck to all who have quit and I hope I can make it longer than a year this time. Cathy

Molaker said:
How many smokers have you heard (including myself) say something like, "I could quit any time I want, but I enjoy smoking and don't want to quit"?  I remember saying that the first time I tried to quit back in 1964 and failed.  Took about 35 years more for me to change my mind and quit for good.  Luckily, my body seems to have survived the abuse (so far), but when I think of the thousands of dollars I spent on it as well...at about $8/carton (rough avg through my smoking days) and 1-2 packs a day (carton and 1/2 per week, maybe), I was approaching 25 grand spent on tobacco products.  At today's tobacco prices, the cost skyrockets 10 fold.  So, if health isn't a big enough excuse to quit, add the cost and the not-so-minor discouragement by society, and it ought to start ringing a bell or lighting a light or something for smokers today.
I remember when I used to say stupid things like that. When you quit you not only save money on cigarettes, but also for lighters, ashtrays, and a lot of window cleaner. Your clothes smell terrible, your house and car smell terrible and you are basically a society reject since smoking is no longer allowed any place that you would want to be. In my doctors office is a poster that lists all the places that used to allow smoking but no longer allow it. It is pretty amazing.

If you really want to quit smoking try downloading a few of these posters, print them out and decorate you house with them.

http://10steps.sg/inspirations/artworks/50-most-creative-anti-smoking-advertisements/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom