rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Quit smoking  (Read 293684 times)

SeilerBird

• ---
Re: Quit smoking
« Reply #420 on: February 28, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
Congrats Roni. It was my 14th anniversary on 12/31/13.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #421 on: February 28, 2014, 03:46:24 PM »
I stopped 34 years ago this month. It was on a bet. One of the guys working for me came up to me artier lunch and asked if I had a cigarette. I handed him the newly opened pack and he took it and crushed it right in front of my eyes. He said that I was done smoking along with 3 guys that worked for me. One guy lasted 2 weeks, the other two lasted about two years. They went through divorces but did quit again a while later.. I was the only one who never touched another one. I've been told that if I did try one now, that it would taste like s___t so I just don't do it. Even after all these years, I still have a slight craving.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #422 on: February 28, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »
I stopped 34 years ago this month. It was on a bet. One of the guys working for me came up to me artier lunch and asked if I had a cigarette. I handed him the newly opened pack and he took it and crushed it right in front of my eyes. He said that I was done smoking along with 3 guys that worked for me. One guy lasted 2 weeks, the other two lasted about two years. They went through divorces but did quit again a while later.. I was the only one who never touched another one. I've been told that if I did try one now, that it would taste like s___t so I just don't do it. Even after all these years, I still have a slight craving.
Great story, well done.  Time does go by, just a few days till my 2yr mark.
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

tstumpf

• ---
« Reply #423 on: March 02, 2014, 12:05:31 AM »
Congrats Roni. It was my 14th anniversary on 12/31/13
Congrats to you as well, Tom!
And to all of you who've kicked the habit! Well done!

-Roni

Irover

• ---
« Reply #424 on: April 16, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »
   It has been 2 yrs. since I stopped as of the 30th of March as I took the last two puffs at about 4:30 the morning of my Heart Attack. It literally had to kill me to make me quit for good!!!I pray every day to stay stopped!!
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

Peregrine

• ---
« Reply #425 on: June 21, 2014, 07:17:39 AM »
Good positive way to think of smoking is as a behavior not as a habit-behaviors can be changed.Think to your own advantage.Fellow I know went to Florida for an acupuncture treatment seems to be doing fine.
I used the gum-expensive and took time but smoke free for over 10 years after more than 40 years of the behavior.
Always admired those would did it cold turkey.

take care and stay safe to all
Pilot-Jeff Douglas
Falcon 1-02 Winnie-sightseer-30B
Falcon 2-02 Jeep Wrangler

catblaster

• ---
  • born 1949, rebuilt 2012 with used parts
« Reply #426 on: June 21, 2014, 08:26:26 AM »
   It has been 2 yrs. since I stopped as of the 30th of March as I took the last two puffs at about 4:30 the morning of my Heart Attack. It literally had to kill me to make me quit for good!!!I pray every day to stay stopped!!

I've told this story before but I had my last smoke just before walking into the ER and having my first heart attack...June 2000
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Oscar Mike

« Reply #427 on: June 21, 2014, 08:58:42 AM »
My wife's 51 year old baby sister died this week from smoking related illness.

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #428 on: June 21, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »
28mos coming up.... I know I'll never smoke again, however now gotta get rid of all the weight I gained after quitting.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

just jim

• ---
« Reply #429 on: June 21, 2014, 04:18:51 PM »
It's not hard , heck I quit hundreds of times ......all kidding aside , get the fact that you are trying to quit out of you mind  ,  NOW YOU TELL YOURSELF , "I DON"T SMOKE " GOOD LUCK , IT WORKED FOR ME AFTER 40 YEARS .

sammy_3

« Reply #430 on: June 24, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »
I quit and restarted a few times while on active duty in the Marines. In 2004 I attended a stop smoking event at a hotel where a travelling hypnotist gave a stop smoking session for a small fee, $59.95. It worked. I haven't touched a cig in 10 years. Now when I'm around smokers I can't stand the smell.

If you haven't quit smoking, keep trying. If you have quit, keep up the good work. We ex-smokers know how tough it is to quit. 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #431 on: June 24, 2014, 01:19:07 PM »
Like most smokers...I've quit a few times. 5 months once...18 months the next time...but I always went back to it.

My wife, on the other hand, only quit twice. 18 months the first time...15+ years this time...and she can't stand the smell of smoke/smokers, so I doubt she'll go back.

Finally, I got tired of smelling like an ashtray, so I switched over to an e-cig. Took a few months to completely break the smoking habit...but I haven't had a "real" cigarette in almost 18 months. Yes, I'm still a nicotine addict...but it's cheaper (except when I have to buy hardware) and it smells a lot better. (plus I can get a wide variety of flavors, unlike "real" cigarettes which only come in tobacco...or mentholated tobacco...:P )

I'll eventually give this up too. It's not nearly as "enjoyable" as real cigarettes...no "first smoke of the day" rush, and it never completely "satisfies" that craving...but it's still a whole lot healthier (supposedly) and my wife can tolerate it.

Congrats to those who have completely kicked the habit...for many of us, it's a VERY difficult thing to do.
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, P32 chassis, Workhorse.

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #432 on: July 10, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
May 21 was 2 yrs for me and DH.  I still crave a cig sometimes but it really gets me how I can smell a cigarette or someone who smokes from so far away. 

Even knowing this I still have to fight the urge but I keep reminding myself that smokers are always craving a cigarette.  You finish one and can hardly wait until you can have another or sitting in a restaurant just waiting to finish so you can have a cigarette.

So my conclusion is that I still have it better than smokers because I only crave it a little bit now while they are craving it all the time.  Okay I know that may be over stepping it a little bit but thinking that way helps keep me in check.  :)

Robn
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

Mike (ex-f-221)

• ---
« Reply #433 on: August 06, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
Yesterday, 10 years ago, at 11pm I had my last cigarette.
I used to roll my cigarettes (I hope that is the right expression) and my tobacco (french Gauloises - tastes very good) was empty. I decided not to buy new tobacco. So I did. And it worked. Amazing after nearly 25 years of smoking. In my best times I smoked up to 60 cigarettes a day.
Luckily I am not a "militant non-smoker". I don't mind sitting together with smoking people. 
What I want to say: Try to stop smoking. But don't set yourself under pressure. Watch yourself and recognize how much automatism is in smoking. That helps. I automatically rolled and lighted a cigarette when I sat in my car; although I had a cigarette at home only three minutes before. How crazy. That helped me thinking about stopping to smoke.
A little bit I set myself under pressure: After a few days of my non-smoker-career I informed everyone about my step, so I couldn't return then  ;)
I think after 10 years without smoke my lungs are as clear as the lungs of a newborn baby :)
Happy quitting!
Mike Muellner
Bremerhaven, Germany

Irover

• ---
« Reply #434 on: August 22, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
 ;D 29 months smoke free the 30th of this month!!! Takes a lot of courage; saying no; and willpower but it can be done!

Irover

• ---
« Reply #435 on: September 01, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
 8) Made it! 29 months and the start of a smoke free Labor Day 2014! It's a great day to be alive!!

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #436 on: September 01, 2014, 01:07:41 PM »
Very good and congratulations!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

dverstra

• ---
« Reply #437 on: September 01, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »
August 1 was 12 years for me.  8) Every once in a while, I catch a little smoke drifting from my golf partner's cigarette and say to it "Go away old friend". Amazing that after this long, I have to realize that I am still an addict.
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Grandville, MI
FMCA 431519
RPCV Sierra Leone

tugboat

• ---
« Reply #438 on: September 01, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »
From two+ packs a day to none over night.every one can do it,you just become a non smoker i think it's all in your head it's been over23years and no thanks but I don't smoke:)
05 Meridian 36G
2016 Canyon 4X4 All Terrain
All Roadmaster Tow ready
Happy Trails
No more midnight Marus "Retired"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #439 on: September 02, 2014, 07:50:22 AM »
Congrats to all who have successfully kicked the habit, and encouragement to those stll trying. We understand it can be a struggle, maybe a long one.

Remember the tobacco execs who raised their right hand and said "nicotine is not addictive"? They lied.

I used to smoke 50/day, and my last one was over 35 years ago; I quit cold turkey, following a couple of prior failed attempts. 35 years later, there are still times when it would be 'easy' to light up, especially after a meal or during cocktail hour. In the UK back in the day there used to be a saying "a pint in one hand and a cigarette in the other" (think of the social beer drinking that went on in pubs).

UK tax on tobacco products was always very high, making them very expensive even in the 70's. When he first learned that I smoked, my Dad merely said "as long as you smoke, you'll have no money in your pocket"; He was right.

There's no doubt that quitting was a "healthy choice", and I felt much better for it. But, as one pulmonologist told me, "the damage is already done"; He was referring to the tar and other stuff accumulated in the bronchioli that can't be removed. Quitting smoking prevented that from getting far worse.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #440 on: September 02, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
In 9 days, it will be 22 years since I had my last one.  Keep fighting the good fight those on the road to quitting, and those that have slipped, I do understand, so just try again.  If you really want, you will kick it.  We're rooting for you.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Irover

• ---
« Reply #441 on: November 25, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
 ::) 32 months on the 30th of November; but who's counting!!!  ;D ;D

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #442 on: November 26, 2014, 01:09:47 PM »
33mos and I'm still counting!!!!!!
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #443 on: November 26, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »
Good job, both of you. I've just hit 6 years this week.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Sr Fox

• ---
« Reply #444 on: November 26, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
I quit for 10 years when I turned 40 and gained 40 lbs over the 10 years. Started smoking again at 50 smoked lots for 10 years and the weight came off. Quit again and went to E-cigs at 60. Both my wife and I have been off tobacco for 3.5 years and no weight gain at all.  Still enjoy puffing the E-cig though and not tempted to have a regular cig at all.
http://www.romamexico.com/
https://www.facebook.com/srfoxmexico
2005 Mobile Suites TK3 36
7.3 Ford F350 Dually
2015 Photo log at http://goo.gl/2tNP1v
Travel Log at: www.srfox.net

cadee2c

• ---
  • Follow your arrow wherever it points
« Reply #445 on: November 26, 2014, 11:08:23 PM »
For me, its been 11 years this weekend. My son left for basic that October, and I started taking Wellbutrin. I spent Thanksgiving weekend alone with no cigarettes. When I got emotional over tv commercials, I doubled the welbutrin for a few days. Made it through by chewing on plastic coated paper clips when the chewing gum flavor got old. By the time I went back to work, I was semi-human.

Its odd, but I dont normally get cravings, havent since about a year or so after quitting. But every so often, Bam! the urge hits me out of the blue. It doesn't last long though. It actually happened this afternoon. This was the first time in something like 2 years.

Im also one of those who cannot stand the smell now. In fact the first thing I did after quitting was apologized to my son for making him smell that all those years.
Caryl- Pilot
Mister Hank - Co-pilot and homeland security

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

May the Llama of Happiness forever spit in your direction

catblaster

• ---
  • born 1949, rebuilt 2012 with used parts
« Reply #446 on: November 27, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
I was changing out a set of heads on Janes Jeep last week when it got extremely aggravating. The next thing I noticed I was reaching for a pack of smokes in my shirt pocket.   ??? No smokes there, I haven't had one for over 14 years but it seems old habits are hard to break. I just had to laugh about it.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #447 on: December 08, 2014, 03:46:35 AM »
2 1/2 years and happy most of the time.  I do have a lot more money  :D :D

Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #448 on: February 26, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »
Well, after 35 some odd' years.... Am giving the 'quit smoking' a try.  First time was USMC boot camp, that was actually easy, just couldn't do it, unfortunately, went straight to the butt's upon completion.  Back then we could smoke on the Navy ships while on float, today they are much stricter.  At any-rate, for the first time in 35 years I'm trying to give it up, my choice... Working out pretty good so far!  Anyone else out there trying to give it up?

Hard to believe for us... But... How the time goes by!  Couple of weeks and it will be 3 years since posting this.  Still going, have not touched a cigarette since.  For those that think it's just not possible... it truly is.  If I could do it after all those years, I really think anyone can.... Just say no.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #449 on: February 26, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »
That's wonderful!  Good for you and keep it up.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D