Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stopped 34 years ago this month. It was on a bet. One of the guys working for me came up to me artier lunch and asked if I had a cigarette. I handed him the newly opened pack and he took it and crushed it right in front of my eyes. He said that I was done smoking along with 3 guys that worked for me. One guy lasted 2 weeks, the other two lasted about two years. They went through divorces but did quit again a while later.. I was the only one who never touched another one. I've been told that if I did try one now, that it would taste like s___t so I just don't do it. Even after all these years, I still have a slight craving.

Rene T said:
I stopped 34 years ago this month. It was on a bet. One of the guys working for me came up to me artier lunch and asked if I had a cigarette. I handed him the newly opened pack and he took it and crushed it right in front of my eyes. He said that I was done smoking along with 3 guys that worked for me. One guy lasted 2 weeks, the other two lasted about two years. They went through divorces but did quit again a while later.. I was the only one who never touched another one. I've been told that if I did try one now, that it would taste like s___t so I just don't do it. Even after all these years, I still have a slight craving.
Great story, well done.  Time does go by, just a few days till my 2yr mark.

Congrats Roni. It was my 14th anniversary on 12/31/13
Congrats to you as well, Tom!
And to all of you who've kicked the habit! Well done!

-Roni

It has been 2 yrs. since I stopped as of the 30th of March as I took the last two puffs at about 4:30 the morning of my Heart Attack. It literally had to kill me to make me quit for good!!!I pray every day to stay stopped!!

Good positive way to think of smoking is as a behavior not as a habit-behaviors can be changed.Think to your own advantage.Fellow I know went to Florida for an acupuncture treatment seems to be doing fine.
I used the gum-expensive and took time but smoke free for over 10 years after more than 40 years of the behavior.
Always admired those would did it cold turkey.

take care and stay safe to all

Irover said:
  It has been 2 yrs. since I stopped as of the 30th of March as I took the last two puffs at about 4:30 the morning of my Heart Attack. It literally had to kill me to make me quit for good!!!I pray every day to stay stopped!!

I've told this story before but I had my last smoke just before walking into the ER and having my first heart attack...June 2000

My wife's 51 year old baby sister died this week from smoking related illness.

28mos coming up.... I know I'll never smoke again, however now gotta get rid of all the weight I gained after quitting.

It's not hard , heck I quit hundreds of times ......all kidding aside , get the fact that you are trying to quit out of you mind  ,  NOW YOU TELL YOURSELF , "I DON"T SMOKE " GOOD LUCK , IT WORKED FOR ME AFTER 40 YEARS .

I quit and restarted a few times while on active duty in the Marines. In 2004 I attended a stop smoking event at a hotel where a travelling hypnotist gave a stop smoking session for a small fee, $59.95. It worked. I haven't touched a cig in 10 years. Now when I'm around smokers I can't stand the smell.

If you haven't quit smoking, keep trying. If you have quit, keep up the good work. We ex-smokers know how tough it is to quit. 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D

Like most smokers...I've quit a few times. 5 months once...18 months the next time...but I always went back to it.

My wife, on the other hand, only quit twice. 18 months the first time...15+ years this time...and she can't stand the smell of smoke/smokers, so I doubt she'll go back.

Finally, I got tired of smelling like an ashtray, so I switched over to an e-cig. Took a few months to completely break the smoking habit...but I haven't had a "real" cigarette in almost 18 months. Yes, I'm still a nicotine addict...but it's cheaper (except when I have to buy hardware) and it smells a lot better. (plus I can get a wide variety of flavors, unlike "real" cigarettes which only come in tobacco...or mentholated tobacco...:p )

I'll eventually give this up too. It's not nearly as "enjoyable" as real cigarettes...no "first smoke of the day" rush, and it never completely "satisfies" that craving...but it's still a whole lot healthier (supposedly) and my wife can tolerate it.

Congrats to those who have completely kicked the habit...for many of us, it's a VERY difficult thing to do.

May 21 was 2 yrs for me and DH.  I still crave a cig sometimes but it really gets me how I can smell a cigarette or someone who smokes from so far away. 

Even knowing this I still have to fight the urge but I keep reminding myself that smokers are always craving a cigarette.  You finish one and can hardly wait until you can have another or sitting in a restaurant just waiting to finish so you can have a cigarette.

So my conclusion is that I still have it better than smokers because I only crave it a little bit now while they are craving it all the time.  Okay I know that may be over stepping it a little bit but thinking that way helps keep me in check.  :)

Robn

Yesterday, 10 years ago, at 11pm I had my last cigarette.
I used to roll my cigarettes (I hope that is the right expression) and my tobacco (french Gauloises - tastes very good) was empty. I decided not to buy new tobacco. So I did. And it worked. Amazing after nearly 25 years of smoking. In my best times I smoked up to 60 cigarettes a day.
Luckily I am not a "militant non-smoker". I don't mind sitting together with smoking people. 
What I want to say: Try to stop smoking. But don't set yourself under pressure. Watch yourself and recognize how much automatism is in smoking. That helps. I automatically rolled and lighted a cigarette when I sat in my car; although I had a cigarette at home only three minutes before. How crazy. That helped me thinking about stopping to smoke.
A little bit I set myself under pressure: After a few days of my non-smoker-career I informed everyone about my step, so I couldn't return then  ;)
I think after 10 years without smoke my lungs are as clear as the lungs of a newborn baby :)
Happy quitting!

August 1 was 12 years for me.  8) Every once in a while, I catch a little smoke drifting from my golf partner's cigarette and say to it "Go away old friend". Amazing that after this long, I have to realize that I am still an addict.

From two+ packs a day to none over night.every one can do it,you just become a non smoker i think it's all in your head it's been over23years and no thanks but I don't smoke:)

Congrats to all who have successfully kicked the habit, and encouragement to those stll trying. We understand it can be a struggle, maybe a long one.

Remember the tobacco execs who raised their right hand and said "nicotine is not addictive"? They lied.

I used to smoke 50/day, and my last one was over 35 years ago; I quit cold turkey, following a couple of prior failed attempts. 35 years later, there are still times when it would be 'easy' to light up, especially after a meal or during cocktail hour. In the UK back in the day there used to be a saying "a pint in one hand and a cigarette in the other" (think of the social beer drinking that went on in pubs).

UK tax on tobacco products was always very high, making them very expensive even in the 70's. When he first learned that I smoked, my Dad merely said "as long as you smoke, you'll have no money in your pocket"; He was right.

There's no doubt that quitting was a "healthy choice", and I felt much better for it. But, as one pulmonologist told me, "the damage is already done"; He was referring to the tar and other stuff accumulated in the bronchioli that can't be removed. Quitting smoking prevented that from getting far worse.

Back
Top Bottom