Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 9 days, it will be 22 years since I had my last one.  Keep fighting the good fight those on the road to quitting, and those that have slipped, I do understand, so just try again.  If you really want, you will kick it.  We're rooting for you.

I quit for 10 years when I turned 40 and gained 40 lbs over the 10 years. Started smoking again at 50 smoked lots for 10 years and the weight came off. Quit again and went to E-cigs at 60. Both my wife and I have been off tobacco for 3.5 years and no weight gain at all.  Still enjoy puffing the E-cig though and not tempted to have a regular cig at all.

For me, its been 11 years this weekend. My son left for basic that October, and I started taking Wellbutrin. I spent Thanksgiving weekend alone with no cigarettes. When I got emotional over tv commercials, I doubled the welbutrin for a few days. Made it through by chewing on plastic coated paper clips when the chewing gum flavor got old. By the time I went back to work, I was semi-human.

Its odd, but I dont normally get cravings, havent since about a year or so after quitting. But every so often, Bam! the urge hits me out of the blue. It doesn't last long though. It actually happened this afternoon. This was the first time in something like 2 years.

Im also one of those who cannot stand the smell now. In fact the first thing I did after quitting was apologized to my son for making him smell that all those years.

I was changing out a set of heads on Janes Jeep last week when it got extremely aggravating. The next thing I noticed I was reaching for a pack of smokes in my shirt pocket.  ??? No smokes there, I haven't had one for over 14 years but it seems old habits are hard to break. I just had to laugh about it.

jje1960 said:
Well, after 35 some odd' years.... Am giving the 'quit smoking' a try.  First time was USMC boot camp, that was actually easy, just couldn't do it, unfortunately, went straight to the butt's upon completion.  Back then we could smoke on the Navy ships while on float, today they are much stricter.  At any-rate, for the first time in 35 years I'm trying to give it up, my choice... Working out pretty good so far!  Anyone else out there trying to give it up?

Hard to believe for us... But... How the time goes by!  Couple of weeks and it will be 3 years since posting this.  Still going, have not touched a cigarette since.  For those that think it's just not possible... it truly is.  If I could do it after all those years, I really think anyone can.... Just say no.

That's a different scenario, Dan. It's not that easy, though certainly doable since I stopped 6 years ago, after 53 years as a smoker. But it's not easy...

Read where Leonard Nimoy said his COPD was attributed to his smoking even though he quit over three decades ago. That is also what the Doc's said about my condition even though it had been 15 years since I quit.

Really, really, hope you guys can quit.  I've never smoked a day in my life, but I'm currently battling metastatic lung cancer  - melanoma, spread to my lungs from a spot on top of my head a year ago. Incurable, but with $120,000 in Yervoy infusions last month alone, we've slowed it down a little.  And I'm only 61... think about my pink but spotted lungs when you feel like inhaling that smoky crap. 
Best of luck quitting, guys, sincerely.

I quit cold turkey 15 years ago. One of the easiest things I ever did. All I had to do was not buy a pack of cigarettes. It is a very hard habit to sustain when you don't have any cigarettes around.

It was 15 years ago that I quit but it was also 3 years ago that I had a double lung transplant. Many of my friends still smoke even after seeing me struggle to breath and unable to walk....just cant figure that one out. My lungs were so bad that when they removed them instead of just cutting them loose they had to scrape from the chest cavity in spots. I came out of surgery 10 1/2 hrs later 20 lbs lighter even with the new lungs sewn in. WHY Does anyone still want to smoke??

Back
Top Bottom