EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Quit smoking  (Read 165017 times)

ArdraF

• ---
Re: Quit smoking
« Reply #480 on: November 13, 2015, 12:31:24 PM »
Very good - both for the smoking and the hip!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Irover

• ---
« Reply #481 on: December 28, 2015, 10:06:43 AM »
 ;D If I survive 2.5 more days it will be 45 months since my last cigarette at 4:30 A.M.  :)
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #482 on: December 28, 2015, 11:16:01 AM »
;D If I survive 2.5 more days it will be 45 months since my last cigarette at 4:30 A.M.  :)
But, who's counting?
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Irover

• ---
« Reply #483 on: December 28, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »
But, who's counting?

Why?? Do you have a problem with that?

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #484 on: December 28, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »
Why?? Do you have a problem with that?
Not at all.  I'm going on about 200 months, myself.  I've made it far enough I have finally quit counting.  I wish you good luck in continuing your success and hope you soon are able to stop counting, too.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #485 on: December 28, 2015, 03:48:04 PM »
192 months for me.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #486 on: December 28, 2015, 04:01:05 PM »
43 months for me and DH.

Don't know if we'll ever stop counting!!
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #487 on: December 28, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
I'm still counting.   At least all the money I saved over the past 35 years.  Probably more than $50,000.  I quite when the vending machine price of cigs hit $1.00 a pack.  My guess is the average cost of a pack over that 35 year period is $2.00 or more.  So, 35 years times 365 times $2.00 twice a day.  More than $4.00 a day.   Almost covers the cost of my wine.   :o
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #488 on: December 28, 2015, 04:22:09 PM »
Almost covers the cost of my wine.   :o
You have enough change in your pockets right now to cover the cost of my wine in my lifetime.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #489 on: December 28, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
That may be true Tom, but I doubt I could afford to pay for your tea.   ;)
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #490 on: December 28, 2015, 04:38:57 PM »
That may be true Tom, but I doubt I could afford to pay for your tea.   ;)
I have never drank a cup of tea in my life. I can't stand the smell of tea and coffee.  :P
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #491 on: December 28, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »
At least all the money I saved over the past 35 years.

37+ years for me, but the craving never completely goes away. When the tobacco execs raised their hands on the hill and swore that 'nicotine is not addictive', they lied!
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #492 on: December 28, 2015, 05:18:21 PM »
37+ years for me, but the craving never completely goes away. When the tobacco execs raised their hands on the hill and swore that 'nicotine is not addictive', they lied!

Same here Tom. I quit in 1979 and still get the urge. They say if I tried one right now, it would taste like crap. I don't dare try it to find out because I may start up again. Hard to believe, but I did enjoy smoking.  When I do get the urge, it goes away as fast as it came into my head.  Besides, my DW would kill me if I stated again because she's allergic to the smoke now. 
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #493 on: December 28, 2015, 05:20:03 PM »
37+ years for me, but the craving never completely goes away

That's an interesting comment, Tom.  It must differ significantly.  I quit about 55 years ago and don't think I've had any craving for it at all in the last 40 or so years.  In fact, I'm rather repelled by them and have been for a long time.  When you do get one of those cravings tune your mind in to how exorbitant each cigarette now costs, how much it made your clothing and hair smell unpleasant (it did mine so it probably did yours too!), what it did to your lungs which you really need for the much more pleasant experience of singing, and how it probably affected perfectly nice non-smokers who might have avoided you.  Those are all such negative thoughts that they'll hopefully make you glad you don't have one in your pocket.  :) ::) ;D

Happy Non-Smoking New Year!!!

ArdraF
ArdraF

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #494 on: December 28, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
Ardra,

The last time I smoked we lived in the UK where, thanks to UK taxes, cig prices were much more exorbitant than here in the U.S. Heck, cigs here seemed almost free.

Thanks to the lack of dental hygiene in the UK, the first time I had my teeth cleaned in CA, it released sufficient trapped nicotine to drive me nuts for several weeks. Next time I had my teeth cleaned, it released more trapped nicotine and drove me nuts.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:43:31 PM by Tom »

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #495 on: December 28, 2015, 05:45:22 PM »
That's an interesting comment, Tom.  It must differ significantly.  I quit about 55 years ago and don't think I've had any craving for it at all in the last 40 or so years.  In fact, I'm rather repelled by them and have been for a long time.  When you do get one of those cravings tune your mind in to how exorbitant each cigarette now costs, how much it made your clothing and hair smell unpleasant (it did mine so it probably did yours too!), what it did to your lungs which you really need for the much more pleasant experience of singing, and how it probably affected perfectly nice non-smokers who might have avoided you.  Those are all such negative thoughts that they'll hopefully make you glad you don't have one in your pocket.  :) ::) ;D
I am with you Ardra. I have not had one single craving since I quit 16 years ago. In fact I am repulsed by the idea of smoking a cigarette. I am truly embarrassed that I ever got pleasure from cigarettes.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

Brian E.

• ---
« Reply #496 on: December 28, 2015, 05:46:14 PM »
Hey Jim,
Best of luck to you!  I quit many times over 25 years of 1 1/2 packs a day.  About 6 months ago i replaced smoking with dipping Skoal mint pouches.  I'll be joining you in the attempt to be tobacco free in 4 days!  We can do it!!
Brian
Brian and Shaunna,
Newbies in search of our 1st RV
Home - Brooksville Fl.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #497 on: December 28, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »
Being repulsed by the idea of having smoked does little to eliminate the craving.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #498 on: December 28, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »
Tom J - My goodness that's interesting about the trapped nicotine in your gums.  I knew from my dental hygienist that a lot of "gunk" sticks to teeth but you must have been like going through another withdrawal.  The human body is so very interesting, isn't it.

ArdraF
ArdraF

William52

• ---
  • Common sense is not common anymore.
« Reply #499 on: December 28, 2015, 06:16:05 PM »
Smoke free since Aug/1989 Be dead by now if I had not?
2000 Pace Arrow M35N F53 V10 Ford  100,000 + miles purrs like a kitten. Yes I am old school.         2007 Honda VTX double dark side

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #500 on: December 28, 2015, 06:38:44 PM »
Aye Ardra. Not in the gums, but in the build-up behind my lower front teeth.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #501 on: December 29, 2015, 10:29:11 AM »
192 months for me.

276 (23 years smoke free but smoked for 43 so I will never make it up).  Have COPD and cursed the day my older brother borrowed a quarter from me so he could buy a pack of cigarettes and then gave me 5 of them "to try."  Worst decision of my life and I made it at age 10.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

Irover

• ---
« Reply #502 on: December 29, 2015, 10:56:11 AM »
Not at all.  I'm going on about 200 months, myself.  I've made it far enough I have finally quit counting.  I wish you good luck in continuing your success and hope you soon are able to stop counting, too.

I believe I better apologize for that comment!! But what may not be important to one is very important to me as i had tried since 1990 at least four times and the longest then was 11 months. Having the severe heart attack at that time and surviving was the deal breaker for me! I have three nice chromium cobalt stents now as a reminder never to start back again!

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #503 on: December 29, 2015, 03:47:15 PM »
Have not smoked since starting this thread, it's really felt great.  One thing that increasingly bothers me though.... Being near cigarette smoke!  I'll walk out of a building entrance where people are or have been smoking and it hits me immediately!  No urge to smoke, just really repulsive feeling with the smell.  I don't ever remember this certain feeling when I smoked, must be regaining sense of smell!
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #504 on: December 29, 2015, 09:22:52 PM »
Have not smoked since starting this thread

Wow, Jim.  Congratulations!  Yes, methinks your "smeller" is getting back to the way it was before you started smoking.  I can smell smoke as soon as I'm in the vicinity.  Living in a state with heavy smokers I even smell it on people's clothing when I walk by them in a grocery store.  I hope you're also tasting foods better.  My dad was a heavy smoker and used to put way too much salt on everything.  He often cooked and we would tell him not to put so much salt in the food.  He couldn't taste it, but we sure could!

ArdraF
ArdraF

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #505 on: December 30, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »
The craving, or the habit for never seems to go away completely for some. It had been 15 yrs 5 mos and yesterday I noticed myself patting my shirt pocket for my smokes. I had my transplant checkup at Tampa General this week and asked my Doc if I could start smoking again since I have these new lungs......the look on his face. Some people don't know a joke when they hear it.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #506 on: December 30, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
    Will, it has been over 7 years this time for me, and I too every now and then pat my shirt pocket for my smokes.  That is why I say, I've stopped, not quit.  I know that I am addicted, and once went over 10 years, all it took was one cigar and I was back to a pack a day.
    I don't have any cravings, but the habit is what doesn't seem to want to go away, I started when I was 13, so I guess they are fairly deeply ingrained.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #507 on: December 30, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
The craving, or the habit for never seems to go away completely for some. It had been 15 yrs 5 mos and yesterday I noticed myself patting my shirt pocket for my smokes. I had my transplant checkup at Tampa General this week and asked my Doc if I could start smoking again since I have these new lungs......the look on his face. Some people don't know a joke when they hear it.
Of course you can start smoking again. I mean what are the odds that you would develop emphysema a second time :P
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

bud01234

• ---
« Reply #508 on: December 30, 2015, 10:05:39 AM »
I remember my last one..July 17, 2000 at approx 2am.....smoked my last one then walked into the emergency room cause I had been having a heart attack. But I had to have that last cigarette!!

Mine was March 17,1999... the night before my bypass surgery.  I'd been saving the last cigarette, and an inhalation therapist came into my room to test my breathing to see how long i'd be on a ventilator after the surgery.  He worked with me for 30 minutes; making me puff harder and harder.  Finally he congratulated me and said I'd only be on the ventilator for 1 day.

After he left, I grabbed the last cigg, went downstairs to the hospital parking lot/smoking area.  I lit up and happened to look across the lot and guess who I saw, puffing away.  My Inhalation Therapist!!! I lit him up.  lol

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #509 on: December 30, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »
Of course you can start smoking again. I mean what are the odds that you would develop emphysema a second time :P

Thats probably right Tom, not emphysema or fibrosis this time but now I am at much greater odds of cancer....don't know which one I would rather NOT have.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Hosted by Over The Network