Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irover said:
Why?? Do you have a problem with that?
Not at all.  I'm going on about 200 months, myself.  I've made it far enough I have finally quit counting.  I wish you good luck in continuing your success and hope you soon are able to stop counting, too.

I'm still counting.  At least all the money I saved over the past 35 years.  Probably more than $50,000.  I quite when the vending machine price of cigs hit $1.00 a pack.  My guess is the average cost of a pack over that 35 year period is $2.00 or more.  So, 35 years times 365 times $2.00 twice a day.  More than $4.00 a day.  Almost covers the cost of my wine.  :eek:

At least all the money I saved over the past 35 years.

37+ years for me, but the craving never completely goes away. When the tobacco execs raised their hands on the hill and swore that 'nicotine is not addictive', they lied!

Tom said:
37+ years for me, but the craving never completely goes away. When the tobacco execs raised their hands on the hill and swore that 'nicotine is not addictive', they lied!

Same here Tom. I quit in 1979 and still get the urge. They say if I tried one right now, it would taste like crap. I don't dare try it to find out because I may start up again. Hard to believe, but I did enjoy smoking.  When I do get the urge, it goes away as fast as it came into my head.  Besides, my DW would kill me if I stated again because she's allergic to the smoke now. 

37+ years for me, but the craving never completely goes away

That's an interesting comment, Tom.  It must differ significantly.  I quit about 55 years ago and don't think I've had any craving for it at all in the last 40 or so years.  In fact, I'm rather repelled by them and have been for a long time.  When you do get one of those cravings tune your mind in to how exorbitant each cigarette now costs, how much it made your clothing and hair smell unpleasant (it did mine so it probably did yours too!), what it did to your lungs which you really need for the much more pleasant experience of singing, and how it probably affected perfectly nice non-smokers who might have avoided you.  Those are all such negative thoughts that they'll hopefully make you glad you don't have one in your pocket.  :) ::) ;D

Happy Non-Smoking New Year!!!

ArdraF

Ardra,

The last time I smoked we lived in the UK where, thanks to UK taxes, cig prices were much more exorbitant than here in the U.S. Heck, cigs here seemed almost free.

Thanks to the lack of dental hygiene in the UK, the first time I had my teeth cleaned in CA, it released sufficient trapped nicotine to drive me nuts for several weeks. Next time I had my teeth cleaned, it released more trapped nicotine and drove me nuts.

ArdraF said:
That's an interesting comment, Tom.  It must differ significantly.  I quit about 55 years ago and don't think I've had any craving for it at all in the last 40 or so years.  In fact, I'm rather repelled by them and have been for a long time.  When you do get one of those cravings tune your mind in to how exorbitant each cigarette now costs, how much it made your clothing and hair smell unpleasant (it did mine so it probably did yours too!), what it did to your lungs which you really need for the much more pleasant experience of singing, and how it probably affected perfectly nice non-smokers who might have avoided you.  Those are all such negative thoughts that they'll hopefully make you glad you don't have one in your pocket.  :) ::) ;D
I am with you Ardra. I have not had one single craving since I quit 16 years ago. In fact I am repulsed by the idea of smoking a cigarette. I am truly embarrassed that I ever got pleasure from cigarettes.

Hey Jim,
Best of luck to you!  I quit many times over 25 years of 1 1/2 packs a day.  About 6 months ago i replaced smoking with dipping Skoal mint pouches.  I'll be joining you in the attempt to be tobacco free in 4 days!  We can do it!!
Brian

Being repulsed by the idea of having smoked does little to eliminate the craving.

Tom J - My goodness that's interesting about the trapped nicotine in your gums.  I knew from my dental hygienist that a lot of "gunk" sticks to teeth but you must have been like going through another withdrawal.  The human body is so very interesting, isn't it.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom