Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aye Ardra. Not in the gums, but in the build-up behind my lower front teeth.

SeilerBird said:
192 months for me.

276 (23 years smoke free but smoked for 43 so I will never make it up).  Have COPD and cursed the day my older brother borrowed a quarter from me so he could buy a pack of cigarettes and then gave me 5 of them "to try."  Worst decision of my life and I made it at age 10.

Molaker said:
Not at all.  I'm going on about 200 months, myself.  I've made it far enough I have finally quit counting.  I wish you good luck in continuing your success and hope you soon are able to stop counting, too.

I believe I better apologize for that comment!! But what may not be important to one is very important to me as i had tried since 1990 at least four times and the longest then was 11 months. Having the severe heart attack at that time and surviving was the deal breaker for me! I have three nice chromium cobalt stents now as a reminder never to start back again!

Have not smoked since starting this thread, it's really felt great.  One thing that increasingly bothers me though.... Being near cigarette smoke!  I'll walk out of a building entrance where people are or have been smoking and it hits me immediately!  No urge to smoke, just really repulsive feeling with the smell.  I don't ever remember this certain feeling when I smoked, must be regaining sense of smell!

Have not smoked since starting this thread

Wow, Jim.  Congratulations!  Yes, methinks your "smeller" is getting back to the way it was before you started smoking.  I can smell smoke as soon as I'm in the vicinity.  Living in a state with heavy smokers I even smell it on people's clothing when I walk by them in a grocery store.  I hope you're also tasting foods better.  My dad was a heavy smoker and used to put way too much salt on everything.  He often cooked and we would tell him not to put so much salt in the food.  He couldn't taste it, but we sure could!

ArdraF

The craving, or the habit for never seems to go away completely for some. It had been 15 yrs 5 mos and yesterday I noticed myself patting my shirt pocket for my smokes. I had my transplant checkup at Tampa General this week and asked my Doc if I could start smoking again since I have these new lungs......the look on his face. Some people don't know a joke when they hear it.

Will, it has been over 7 years this time for me, and I too every now and then pat my shirt pocket for my smokes.  That is why I say, I've stopped, not quit.  I know that I am addicted, and once went over 10 years, all it took was one cigar and I was back to a pack a day.
    I don't have any cravings, but the habit is what doesn't seem to want to go away, I started when I was 13, so I guess they are fairly deeply ingrained.

Ed

catblaster said:
The craving, or the habit for never seems to go away completely for some. It had been 15 yrs 5 mos and yesterday I noticed myself patting my shirt pocket for my smokes. I had my transplant checkup at Tampa General this week and asked my Doc if I could start smoking again since I have these new lungs......the look on his face. Some people don't know a joke when they hear it.
Of course you can start smoking again. I mean what are the odds that you would develop emphysema a second time :p

catblaster said:
I remember my last one..July 17, 2000 at approx 2am.....smoked my last one then walked into the emergency room cause I had been having a heart attack. But I had to have that last cigarette!!

Mine was March 17,1999... the night before my bypass surgery.  I'd been saving the last cigarette, and an inhalation therapist came into my room to test my breathing to see how long i'd be on a ventilator after the surgery.  He worked with me for 30 minutes; making me puff harder and harder.  Finally he congratulated me and said I'd only be on the ventilator for 1 day.

After he left, I grabbed the last cigg, went downstairs to the hospital parking lot/smoking area.  I lit up and happened to look across the lot and guess who I saw, puffing away.  My Inhalation Therapist!!! I lit him up.  lol

SeilerBird said:
Of course you can start smoking again. I mean what are the odds that you would develop emphysema a second time :p

Thats probably right Tom, not emphysema or fibrosis this time but now I am at much greater odds of cancer....don't know which one I would rather NOT have.

catblaster said:
Thats probably right Tom, not emphysema or fibrosis this time but now I am at much greater odds of cancer....don't know which one I would rather NOT have.
But then you could smoke pot to get rid of the cancer ;D

Congratulations to  all you guys and gals that kicked the habit. I'm currently on the patch (again). I really need to beat it this time. My health is getting shaky and most of it is from smoking and some of the rest is from sitting at this desk too much at work. Ya'll have been an inspiration.

kdbgoat said:
Congratulations to  all you guys and gals that kicked the habit. I'm currently on the patch (again). I really need to beat it this time. My health is getting shaky and most of it is from smoking and some of the rest is from sitting at this desk too much at work. Ya'll have been an inspiration.

One mi
second at a time if thats what it takes! I had to finally get rid of the cigarettes; lighters; matches and ashtrays. Go through the being sick and withdrawals after trying patches; gum and hard candies.  Best to you!

Congratulations Irover!!!! Patch didn't last long for me. I will be setting another quit date for the near future. I'll make it one of these times.

For those who are struggling to stop smoking...have you tried the "ecigs?"

I don't recommend the crappy ones that actually LOOK like cigarettes, but rather, quality "mods" that offer larger batteries and changeable tanks for the liquid.

NO, the better quality ones don't explode like you've seen on the news...as long as they're taken care of properly. (heck, even cell phones have exploded recently)

This one is a decent quality starter kit:

http://vapenw.com/start-kit/aspire-k2-quick-start-kit

Then, buy your ejuice in a flavor that you find acceptable and in a strength that suits your needs.

I haven't had a REAL cigarette in over 3 years...but I STILL vape 24mg nijcotine content juice. (that's considered VERY strong nicotine)

IF you decide to try this...my recommendations is to keep smoking...and work the ecig into your daily "routine."  Slowly reduce the number of cigarettes and increase the use of the ecig. In a couple of weeks, you SHOULD be able to use only the ecig.

Are they perfectly "healthy?" Hell no...but they're MUCH healthier than regular cigarettes, they smell better, (don't stink up the house, car, or RV) and you have a bazillion choices for flavors. MOST folks start with a tobacco flavor...just so their heads and taste buds accept them better...FINE...but IMO, if I'm not smoking tobacco...I don't want to taste tobacco.

Just my $0.02

kdbgoat said:
Congratulations Irover!!!! Patch didn't last long for me. I will be setting another quit date for the near future. I'll make it one of these times.

I kept resisting too until one day my doctor rolled out a little oxygen tank on wheels and said I should try it out to see how it fit because I would soon be pulling one around.  That did it.  The next patch he gave stayed on and I was done.  That was 23 years ago and my COPD seems to get worse everyday but no oxygen tank yet.

Back
Top Bottom