Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty cool really, started this thread some 4.5 yrs ago, over 80K reads later... I've still not touched a cigarette.  Still get very strange, however brief feelings of an urge, very weird feeling, hard to explain.  I know I'll never smoke again, it's been very nice breathing easier since I quit.  I don't enjoy smelling cigarette smoke at all now, walking into a store where people are smoking near the entrance is nasty.

Congratulations, Jim!  Glad to hear you're doing so well.  And, along the way, I hope we've encouraged some others to stop as well.  There's nothing quite like having clean lungs and breathing well!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Congratulations, Jim!  Glad to hear you're doing so well.  And, along the way, I hope we've encouraged some others to stop as well.  There's nothing quite like having clean lungs and breathing well!

ArdraF

Amen to that ! How about new lungs and 99% oxygen saturation. I stopped 16 years ago and even after a lung transplant four years ago I found myself reaching to my shirt pocket for a smoke last week. Old habits are hard to break.  Something triggered the response to reach for my pocket just like it did back when I was a smoker.

Congratulation Jim

catblaster said:
Amen to that ! How about new lungs and 99% oxygen saturation. I stopped 16 years ago and even after a lung transplant four years ago I found myself reaching to my shirt pocket for a smoke last week. Old habits are hard to break.  Something triggered the response to reach for my pocket just like it did back when I was a smoker.

Congratulation Jim

Same here Will. I quit back in 1979 and haven't touched one since. I still get the urge but it goes out of my head as fast as it came in. I've been told that if I did try one now it would taste like crap and I've been tempted to see if that was true, but I don't dare. I use to like smoking so I'd be afraid to start up again. And besides, I would also end up in divorce court.  :-[ :'(  She's allergic to any kind of cigarette smoke.

Coming up on 53 months on the 30th of August! What sucks is when one wakes up from a dream thinking one started again!!  :-[ Realizing the cigarettes you were smoking was just a figment of your imagination! I believe after 4 serious grueling attempts to stop I hope smoking another one never materializes!!  ;D

Irover said:
Coming up on 53 months on the 30th of August! What sucks is when one wakes up from a dream thinking one started again!!  :-[ Realizing the cigarettes you were smoking was just a figment of your imagination! I believe after 4 serious grueling attempts to stop I hope smoking another one never materializes!!  ;D
It is a lot easier to not smoke the next one than it is the one after.  As Nancy said, "Just say no". :)

From 3 packs a day to none over 25 years ago overnight I just became a none smoker tried to quit many times before but every time I would smoke more so I decided instead of quitting I would become a none smoker and its been working ever since no desire to ever smoke again :)

I am almost 77 years old.  I started smoking at 10 at the urging of my brother who wanted me to buy his cigarettes.  I smoked for 43 years finally quitting in 1993 when the doctor asked me how I would look pulling a little green tank behind me the rest of my life.  That and the patch got me to quit but the desire lingered for years.  Later I was diagnosed with COPD and that has totally changed my life and limited just about everything I want to do.  Following a hospital stay with pneumonia I signed up for Pulmonary Rehab 8 months ago and I go four or five times per week for exercise and some socialization with friends developed in the same Cardiopulmonary Rehab group.  My only advice is the same as all give --  Quit if you smoke and Don't start if you don't.

Bill N said:
I am almost 77 years old.  I started smoking at 10 at the urging of my brother who wanted me to buy his cigarettes.  I smoked for 43 years finally quitting in 1993 when the doctor asked me how I would look pulling a little green tank behind me the rest of my life.  That and the patch got me to quit but the desire lingered for years.  Later I was diagnosed with COPD and that has totally changed my life and limited just about everything I want to do.  Following a hospital stay with pneumonia I signed up for Pulmonary Rehab 8 months ago and I go four or five times per week for exercise and some socialization with friends developed in the same Cardiopulmonary Rehab group.  My only advice is the same as all give --  Quit if you smoke and Don't start if you don't.

That is of course great advice, the same that I gave people and even after my friends and family seeing me in the picture below they still smoked.They watched me roll the green tank then saw me tethered to the end of a 40 ft hose not able to walk more than 20ft before resting. It didnt seem to matter enough for them to quit. I just dont get it sometimes

Attachments

• 060 (Medium).JPG
    060 (Medium).JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 27
As Mark Twain said, "Quitting smoking was the easiest thing I have done,  in fact I quit smoking several times"

Stay away from the triggers.

Been there done that including the Marine Corp method. After, kept trying to quit.

But one day I decided I quit, really decided I had quit, no "I am trying to quit" BS but
I QUIT!!!! , it was easy.

Just stop. No trying, no just one more, QUIT.

Worked for 50 years now.

Still have COPD, between 10 years of cigarettes and 40 years of wood dust.

But if I had not quit, I would be long gone.

This veteran's day my 1 year anniversary of quitting, after smoking for 32 years. Best thing i ever did!

One day, one of my employees came to me and asked me for a cigarette. I had just opened the pack. He took the pack and crunched with his hands and said you just quit smoking with him and 2 other guys in my crew. One of the three lasted 2 weeks and started smoking. The other two went about 5 years and both went through a divorce and they started smoking. A couple of years later is stopped again for good as far as I know. That was back in 1979. Just about 38 years.  I haven't touch one since. They say if I tried one right now that it would taste like crap. I've been tempted to try one just to prove that it does tastes like crap but I don't. I'm afraid I would maybe start again. You see, I enjoyed smoking. Don't know why but just did.
Besides, my DW is deathly allergic to the smoke so I couldn't smoke anyway because of her.

Anyone can do it if they put their mind to it.

Back
Top Bottom