Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here it is 16 years 4 months, 2 heart attacks, 1 double lung transplant and 5 elections later and still I have not gone back to smoking.  If I can do it anyone can!!

catblaster said:
Here it is 16 years 4 months, 2 heart attacks, 1 double lung transplant and 5 elections later and still I have not gone back to smoking.  If I can do it anyone can!!

That is fully understandable and I congratulate you for beating the odds. Have a long life.

Bill

20 pages and only a couple of references to Chantix?
IMHO, this is a wonder drug. You continue to smoke when starting the drug, and eventually (it took me about 7 days) they start to taste like crap and the urge is gone.
Been free for years. I recall having vivid dreams, but some report disturbing nightmares, and other minor side effects.

I tried the Chantix. I quit taking Chantix when my wife told me she was scared of me since shortly after I had started taking it.

I have a very dark side that I have managed to keep suppressed with the help of God and my wife. Gary Busey is mild compared to me unleashed. Apparently it was starting to surface and I didn't even realize it. I thought I was doing a good job controlling my attitude, but I guess I wasn't doing that good. :(

Like a dummy, I still smoke and haven't found a way to quit and control my anger. I know there is some folks out there that say "hogwash, all you have to do is make up your mind to quit and do it" To those folks, how about parking your coach in the desert and just have the two of us isolated from civilization. You will be ready to run after no more than 3 days. My Dad was an alcoholic and I saw myself headed down the same road. I quit and haven't looked back. I could drink a cold beer on a hot summer day and not have the desire for another after. I also quit drugs overnight with the same result. I feel that is a great blessing. I truly wish it was that easy for me to quit smoking.

kdbgoat:  It has been 23 years but I finally managed to lick it with the patch on the arm.  It also took some willpower but not as much as when I tried without the  patch.  Not even sure if they still make the things but, if so, give them a try.  Good luck to you.  By the way, I get antsy the way you describe when talking politics. LOL

kdbgoat said:
I know there is some folks out there that say "hogwash, all you have to do is make up your mind to quit and do it"

Well.... perhaps that works for some people. The rest of us could use a little help. Doctors will tell you that nicotine is the most addictive substance on the planet.
As Bill suggests, maybe the patch is worth a try.
I know a guy who managed to quit with the gum. The gum doesn't have as good of a track record with long term quitting but it worked for him. He's been smoke free for over a year. Now he's addicted to the gum!

A STEMI heart attack and just 7-10 mins. shy of a cardiac arrest stopped my smoking  Cold Turkey after 4 attempts before with gum, patch, and willpower! It's been 56 months as of the 30th of November! Best thing I did, controlling being depressed and angry for a few months was the hardest!

kdbgoat said:
I have a very dark side that I have managed to keep suppressed with the help of God and my wife. Gary Busey is mild compared to me unleashed. Apparently it was starting to surface and I didn't even realize it. I thought I was doing a good job controlling my attitude, but I guess I wasn't doing that good. :(

Like a dummy, I still smoke and haven't found a way to quit and control my anger. I know there is some folks out there that say "hogwash, all you have to do is make up your mind to quit and do it" To those folks, how about parking your coach in the desert and just have the two of us isolated from civilization. You will be ready to run after no more than 3 days. My Dad was an alcoholic and I saw myself headed down the same road. I quit and haven't looked back. I could drink a cold beer on a hot summer day and not have the desire for another after. I also quit drugs overnight with the same result. I feel that is a great blessing. I truly wish it was that easy for me to quit smoking.

You have beat the more dangerous and possibly the most difficult of the three.  Huge congratulations for what you have done.  Stop beating yourself up and enjoy your life.  When you are ready to quit smoking you will. 

With some people the stress of trying to quit is harder on the mind and body than the smoking is. It was that way with me until my first heart attack and the three days in the hospital without a cigarette gave me the right push in that direction. Without it I would probably never have stopped.

I smoked for 13 years, averaging 1 pack a day. I quit smoking with the help of a book. That was Allen Carr's "The easy way to quit smoking" . Look it up on Amazon or your favorite bookstore. I have never had cigarette cravings, and it has been 4 years since I smoked the last cigarette. Best thing I have done. Congratulations to all of you that have or are about to quit this nasty habit .

Holy cow... March 10th will be 5yrs since I quit and started this post the following day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How cool is that, have not touched a cigarette since! Ye, haa!

jje1960 said:
Holy cow... March 10th will be 5yrs since I quit and started this post the following day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How cool is that, have not touched a cigarette since! Ye, haa!

This is  way cool.  I remember it too.  It is hard to believe it has been 5 years and this thread is still going.  Still inspiring people.  September will be 25 years for me.

Back
Top Bottom