Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    I never say "QUIT", all I ever say is I've stopped for a while.  As with most addictions, all it would take is one cigar, and I'd be back to over a pack a day.  Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs known to man, and why we allow it is beyond me.  I'm 3 1/2 years off them this time, but have gone over a year several times, and up to 10 years once.  But the last time I fell off the wagon, was as a result of "no-see'ums" on the golf course, so after 9 I went into the pro shop and bought a pack of cigarilos's, that led to another 6 year habit.
    As time passes, you recall the few nice things about smoking, yet forget all the bad things, like the morning cough, the constant bad taste in your mouth, the shortness of breath, and all the other bad things.
    Do what you need to for support, don't give in, but remember, once you're past the nicotine withdrawal, it takes 3 months to get over the habit of smoking, and all it takes is one hit of nicotine for most people to fall back.  So, GOOD LUCK, don't give in.

Ed

Well... Another day going down, doing fine.  What a cheering section I ended up with here!  Gotta tell all of you, it's awesome, I've read every single one of your posts.... Couple of times.  Again, doing fine, both my kids told ol' Dad how proud they are, great cheering section at home as well!  Realized the garage ashtray that I've had around for so many years was not needed anymore, that went in the garbage today.  It's funny, that stupid ashtray has followed me around for years, remember a liquor supplier giving it to me back about 25yrs ago with a delivery to the Marine house!  BTW Navy.... while the Marines are the Mens department of the Navy... Nobody, nobody came near "doc" without coming through us.  Not just a saying... Many a day we stood by doc and others from the boat!!! :) :) :)

WOW 3 days!!  That is exciting.  I quit about 5 years ago and I still get strong cravings at least once or twice a week and I just need to think that I do not want to go through the quitting process again and it eventually goes away.  One of my triggers was bringing the dog out  I would of coarse have a smoke.  We just got a new dog this year and the cravings came back but still no smokes.  Just take it one day at a time. 

I remember how much the taste of food changed when I quit.  Eating scrambled eggs with fresh-ground pepper on them was a heavenly experience...

Well, I'm still on board. Cheating every way I can think of.  :)

My E-Cig is the biggest deal. It does keep my nicotene level acceptable. Haven't opened the gum, yet.

This isn't hard to do, yet. I am working on keeping it lightly enforced. Three real cigs down, so far. I haven't smoked all of any of them. I stoke up on the E-Cig, getting the nicotene fix, then light the tobacco. No benefit, so I put it out. Doesn't even taste good.

You know, this may work! I am getting optomistic.  ;D

One help, I think, is from an idea in this thread. I did not put cigs off limits. Promised myself not to suffer. Haven't suffered, so far. The E-Cig sabotages the real thing. That's cool, by my standards. (Definitely not recruiting anyone to follow my lead, here. I have no special understanding of quiting, whatsoever. Moreover, I have a list of a thousand ways to fail.)  :eek:

See you all, tomorrow. Hopefully, on the same wagon.  ;)

Ray D  :)

Cheated and caved today.....back to day 1 for, keep going Ray and Jim.  P.S. One pack here is 11 and change per pack of 25.

I started smoking in 1965, (almost puking every time I would light up) in 1966 I got suspended from school for smoking the bad part was I was almost a block away from the high school....for one week. Buy 1967 I really was smoking. On the day my Mother passed away she gave me lunch money, as I walked out the door on my way to school she "Don't buy any Cigarettes..make sure you buy your lunch!" After she passed away my Dad let me smoke in the house and when I was with him in public.

I watched my Dad die from cancer in 1984, I watched my Aunt die from cancer in 1988, I have 4 other Aunt's and Uncles that dies from cancer. One of them never smoked a day in her life but she died of lung cancer.

My daughter asked me to quit smoking for her birth day. In 1998 she passed away 7 days after her birthday that year I have not smoke since  Halloween that year.  On Halloween that year 1998 (She Who Must be Obeyed) aka my wife took me to the hospital because I felt like I was having a heart attack. It turned out to be a Gall Bladder problem. I was in the hospital for a week. I got out was in my pick-up lite up a cigarette, and couldn't breath so I haven't smoked since.

I had more failed attempts than I can count. Finally, about 12 years ago I decided to try the gum. Wow! Quitting was easy. I haven't had a smoke since.

Only one problem. Nicotine is nicotine. I discovered that the gum is just as  addictive as smoking ever was. It took me another 5 years to get off of the gum.

Well, end of another day, read all the posts, thanks for sharing your stories, some sad, all an encouragement.  Doing fine, Saturday morning at 0800 it's one week... Waiting for that like a kid at Christmas morning.  Getting the 5Ver ready this weekend for a week of camping starting the 25th, can't wait!

I have 4 other Aunt's and Uncles that died from cancer. One of them never smoked a day in her life but she died of lung cancer.

I wonder if she got lung cancer from second-hand smoke.  Perhaps that's something you smokers who want to quit should think about as you're trying to quit.  If you get the desire to light up, maybe think about your loved ones who will be breathing your smoke and how it might hurt them.  I don't know if it will help, but any deterrent thought is worth trying!

ArdraF

Good point AndraF.  I've never smoked in the house, cars or RV, however see plenty that have/do.  Actually, it's been a bit strange this week, keep going to the garage and realize much of the time I spent there was because I wanted to smoke... Look around and realize nothing to do and go back to the kitchen...  Going to be less time in the man-cave now.  O - God, what am I saying.....  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Workingtorv; I wouldn't start over. I'd call that a stumble and continue from there. Don't drop out, what ever you do.

I had a very bad night, last night. PTSD. Haven't recovered. I gave up sleeping at about 3:00 AM. Usually, when I have to do that, I get up, have a small glass of wine, get on the computer for a little while, and kill a pack of cigarettes. Then i take a Valium and go back to bed.

Last night I skipped the cigs and used the "inhaler" E-Cig. Worked. Wasn't the same, but it did OK. Did get back to sleep. Note, I renamed the E-Cig "inhaler."

I might get stuck on the "inhaler." I'll worry about that, when I am off of cigs.

I haven't noticed any improvement in taste. I have noticed that my cough is all but gone. My medical inhalers are more effective and I need them less. My breathing is improved. Seems awfully quick for that kind of benefit. May be all in my head, but I'll take any benefit I can get, and call it a winner.

At this point, I have three times noticed that I had a cigarette going that I didn't remember taking out of the pack, nor lighting. Put them out, as soon as I saw them. One hazzard of carrying cigs. They just jump out and light themselves. May have to ditch the pocket pack, to avoid that.

I can see that this is going to get to be a bit more difficult as I go along. Will deal with that, when it becomes an issue i can't ignore.

Ray D.  :)

Hey Ray, knock off the cheating.  I have not slept right since I quit either, your not alone.  Can say one thing, breathing is better though, after only a week I'm not wheezing when I try to sleep.  This is an awesome challenge dude, I'm in.  Frankly I'm being a bit 'cocky' this week, unbelievable that I'm finding this doable.  Just looked up with a smile on my face, those two packages of unopened cigarettes are still sitting on the desk in the kitchen... This is cool!

Ray, I'm delighted to see you're trying!  Yep, better leave that pocket pack somewhere else - preferably in a drawer on the theory of "out of sight, out of mind."  Actually they did an interesting study recently on placement of a candy dish.  If the person put it on their desk they were more likely to reach over and take one.  If the person put it somewhere else in the room where they would have to get up and walk over to it, they were less likely to take one.  I'll bet the same would apply to cigarettes, so put it somewhere else out of sight and maybe you'll be less likely to have that hand reach up and light one unbeknownst to you!

Interesting comment about your cough.  Mother would always tell me that if I quit smoking my cough would go away.  Dumb kid that I was I didn't believe her.  But, after I quit, my cough went away relatively soon.  Mother was right - as usual!  ::)

ArdraF

Actually, the cough going away and the breathing improvements are the big surprise. Just seems a bit quick, for logic. Sure appreciate it though.

For whatever reason, the improvement seems real. I had trouble keeping my inhaler use down to prescription levels. Now, no problem. I am below prescription level and am not constantly out of breath. I can breath deeper! Still, a big surprise.

The cough has been a plague, for years. How could I get rid of it in a few days. Well, it's still there, but way less frequent and way less severe. Barely a bother. And, no "coughing fits" since I started this game.

I may have to put the open pack further away.

Have to keep cheating. The nicotene inhaler is my best cheat, and fits right in with my other medical inhalers. I may give the medical inhalers the toss, before the nicotene inhaler. (Probably not.)

Ray D.  :)

Jim, there is no doubt you are doing this "cleaner" than I am. That is very inspiring to me. I wish I could do it clean. Tried that. Several times. I plan to be clean and quit rather quickly. Hope so, anyway. Meanwhile, the inhaler keeps me closer to sane.

The cigs: I have been at two to three packs a day as recently as two weeks ago. Started the "inhaler" strategy. Jumped on this bandwagon because it was here. I opened this pack either four or five days ago. Thats a long way from where I was. Don't plan on going back. And, I realize I have to make the break pretty soon. We'll see how it goes.

I believe something good will come of these postings ;D

ON second hand smoke...last week DW and I met with the transplant team and one of the first questions was how long have you quit smoking....12 years...she looked at my wife and said, "you're still smoking" I can smell it!  Then she read me the riot act...we Will be checking you regularly and if you come up positive....all deals are off!! She stated that I can test positive from second hand smoke ALSO...same thing positive is positive. All deals off and back to the end of the list with 6 mo wait. Hell i DON'T HAVE 6 MONTHS.

The funny thing is Jane had not had a smoke for three days and had a fresh shower that morning...that lady had one helluva a sniffer to pick up on that.

To all you guys who are trying so hard to quit, and to those you have inspired who are lurking and have silently taken up the challenge:

Hang in there, try hard, don't give up, stick with it:  you won't believe how good you will feel when you lick that habit, how much better your life will be, how much more disposable income you will have, and how much people will admire you for what you have accomplished. 

If you have a setback, start again.  And keep on keepin' on.  It's worth it!

Margi

over 15 years for both of us. We figured when our smoking cost more then the new car payment it was time to stop......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom