EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Quit smoking  (Read 163848 times)

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
Quit smoking
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:03:32 PM »
Well, after 35 some odd' years.... Am giving the 'quit smoking' a try.  First time was USMC boot camp, that was actually easy, just couldn't do it, unfortunately, went straight to the butt's upon completion.  Back then we could smoke on the Navy ships while on float, today they are much stricter.  At any-rate, for the first time in 35 years I'm trying to give it up, my choice... Working out pretty good so far!  Anyone else out there trying to give it up?
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

KodiakRV

• ---
Re: Quit smoking
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
Good for you!  You can do it!  I quit after 18 years and my sister quit after 50 years!
Frank
Florida

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
Quit is more like it.   Quit a 2-3 pack a day habit, in 1965, cold turkey, and never went back.   So hang in there dude -- there is such a thing as sucess. 

Hate those damn butts and their stink nowadays.   >:(
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

FrankNichols

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 02:25:08 PM »
Quitting is the easy part, deciding to quit and not just "trying to quit" is the hard part.

I quit 2 years ago after 40+ years smoking 2 packs a day. I "tried" many times, but finally "decided" to QUIT and never looked back.

Frank

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
Took me 40 years and several tries, but I finally managed to quit about 14 years ago.  The mind is a funny thing.  I decided I could go back to smoking any time I wanted to and that actually helped me to not want to - that and about $1000 worth of Nicorette gum. :)
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »
O my... You would not believe how great it feels to have 4 responses within 30mins.... This is not just another attempt... I've never really tried to do this before.  I knew it was time to do this, wish I had of had the courage 20yrs ago.  My DW and kids are well... supporting Dad!  There is actually two packages of cigarettes in the kitchen, un-opened, I bought them the morning I decided to quit.... they are still there.  Cool with others that have quitting stories, keep them coming.
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

AndyinLexington

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »
I'm not a smoker, but have some other habits I'm "quitting" and some I'm "starting".  Helps me a LOT to just focus on what is right in front of me.  Like just what I need to do right now, not try to mentally face the entire journey at once.  I'm six months into starting one good habit, and about three months into quitting a bad habit.  It's going well so far.  My grandfather quit smoking after around 60 years of smoking Lucky Strikes.  Just decided one day in the middle of a carton that he'd had enough.  I really admire that determination and staying power. 
Andy Holmes
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34F
2005 Chev Malibu Toad
N1CPS
Lexington, Kentucky

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »
At about 18 or 19 years old my Mother, Father (both heavy smokers), Sister, and I were sailing in Lake Huron.

I was at the helm and the three of them were dozing off laying on the deck.  In fact we were just about to lose the site of land so I took a reciprocal compass heading to ensure a direct route back to Sarnia.

I remember this like it was yesterday especially because back then (1950s) nobody was preaching that folks should stop smoking.

I pulled out my red-colored pack of Pall Mall king size cigarettes.  I lit one and didn't even inhale the first drag.  I just blew it out of my mouth, twisted the cigarette pack up, and threw it overboard along with the one I just lit up.  I then looked at my cigarette lighter, thought about it, and decided to toss it overboard too. 

That was it for me.  Never smoked again and am I so glad.  For some unknown reason I quit instantly.

When my folks and sister woke up I told them that I just quit smoking.  To this day I wish I could remember their comments.

JerryF   

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:04:49 PM by JerArdra »
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »
Tom and I both quit in 1989.  He quit cold turkey.  I chewed that awful Nicorette gum, chewing gum, and ate tons of unsalted, unbuttered popcorn to keep my mouth busy.  It's worth it!  Can't stand the stink and stain any more.  Try putting what you would have spent on cigarettes into a separate account and spoil yourself with a reward.  Hang in there!

Margi

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »
My theory, and looks like you subscribed, is to quit while the habit is still nearby.  Don't give them away, don't smoke them, throw them away.  Not at the end of this pack, but while there is still some in there.  Then just don't smoke anymore.  So glad I did, but at times, a whiff of a sulphur match lighting one, the pleasure receptor pops.  It has been 40 years.  Of course, the second whiff of smoke is disgusting.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »
.... at times, a whiff of a sulphur match lighting one, the pleasure receptor pops. 

Bill, I've had the same thing happen.  There's just something about that smell of the sulphur match lighting that makes the memory so vivid.  I can enjoy the first whiff of fresh smoke too, but the pleasure soon turns to nausea.

I'm trying to quit also.  I had my last one on February, 5th, 1991. 

Hang in there, Jim.  You can do it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:55:48 PM by Just Lou »
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
I quit a 2-3 pack a day 50 year habit in 2003 after many previous failed attempts using various "traditional" methods, including cold turkey. What worked for me this time, was moving back my first smoke of the day. The first one when getting up in the morning got moved back to with my first cup of coffee, and then to the ride into work, and so on. As I got comfortable with each progression, I'd move it back another step. All in all, it took me about 6 weeks, with a couple of minor setbacks along the way, but when I realized one night that it was bed time and I hadn't had my first one for the day, I figured I really didn't need it. I've had no set backs since. My wife quit about the same time using the patch and pills and had an awful time of it, but she hung in and got through it. I don't know if my method will work for someone else, but it sure worked for me!
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

stephen44

• ---
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
3 weeks in and making every one's life miserable  :-\

Stephen

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 04:30:16 PM »
I remember my last one..July 17, 2000 at approx 2am.....smoked my last one then walked into the emergency room cause I had been having a heart attack. But I had to have that last cigarette!!
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »
Quit cold turkey in 1981 after 12 years of 2 packs a day. Wasn't easy but it was doable. Never been sorry and can't stand the smell of smoke now. If nothing else, think of how much money you'll save!
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

BobNSam

• ---
  • Travel/golf/reading/bridge in any order
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »
My wife quit smoking cold turkey in 2003; no pain, no strain for her at the time.
Smoking quit me in 2005 after 40  years.
I caught a very bad chest cold and could barely breath for about 3 days. Any attempt to smoke for a while after that caused immediate choking and coughing. After a week I decided that smoking had quit me...I still have the desire but...now, when I am around a smoker I can imagine what others smelled when I smoked my two packs a day. I must have reeked.
Here's to all those that have been able to quit and best luck to all those attempting to quit.
Bob
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff
DirecTV with Genie/Trav'ler Antenna
2+2 USAF Retired (2IDGITS)

Wizard46

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 05:37:22 PM »
I quit about 15 years ago, after smoking 3 packs a day. I will say that it was not easy, but once I made my mind up to quit, I just fought to keep it up. Never think about it now.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Home: Milledgeville Ga.

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
One of the most (mentally) painful experiences I recall.  Thought I was going to go completely insane for a while... gum, shots, the works and finally, after a long time, I got over it.  LOL, I was about 45-50 at the time... and I told myself, if I made it to 65 I could start again if I still wanted to smoke.  I keep raising the age to start again and now, probably won't do it.  Now if they legalize the other stuff, would have to reconsider the whole question, LOL, again.

Do whatever you have to do to continue NO SMOKIN'--- you will feel much better, very soon... but the memories never go away, IMHO.

Our neighbor, who smoked 3X more than anyone I knew, followed my lead after six months and then we could support each other.   Finding someone to "share the pain" is often helpful, as long as they don't start smokin' again, then it would be a challenge...
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 07:19:26 PM »
You can do it, I did it after 45 years of smoking. Sometimes I catch myself reach for that pack in my shirt pocket. That is when I remind myself how much better I feel now. If you want to quit you can do it!
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »
I remember my last one..July 17, 2000 at approx 2am.....smoked my last one then walked into the emergency room cause I had been having a heart attack. But I had to have that last cigarette!!

Will, I wish you would stop reminding me of how many times we've made the same mistakes.  I, too, had to experience a life threatening situation before I even attempted to quit smoking.  I "enjoyed" my last smoke on the front steps of Duke Medical Center as I was entering to receive a quadruple bypass operation.

I didn't make the decision to quit until I realized that I had gone a full week without a smoke.  It just didn't make sense to have another one. ???

That was my last smoke but, unfortunately, not my last bypass operation. :) :(

BTW - I discovered after quitting, that I didn't have a nicotine addiction, I had a smoking habit.  Once I broke the pattern of reaching for my shirt pocket, I had NO craving for anything associated with the nasty habit.  Some folks are not so lucky.  For some, the craving never goes away.

Wizard46

• ---
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 09:18:07 PM »
Helped me a lot when the doctor told me " you can quit smoking or die, your choice ", really made me see the light but still was not easy.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Home: Milledgeville Ga.

Icemaker

• ---
  • "Nár lagaí na bithiúnaigh do lámh"
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 10:34:31 PM »
Will, I wish you would stop reminding me of how many times we've made the same mistakes.  I, too, had to experience a life threatening situation before I even attempted to quit smoking.  I "enjoyed" my last smoke on the front steps of Duke Medical Center as I was entering to receive a quadruple bypass operation.

I didn't make the decision to quit until I realized that I had gone a full week without a smoke.  It just didn't make sense to have another one. ???

That was my last smoke but, unfortunately, not my last bypass operation. :) :(

BTW - I discovered after quitting, that I didn't have a nicotine addiction, I had a smoking habit.  Once I broke the pattern of reaching for my shirt pocket, I had NO craving for anything associated with the nasty habit.  Some folks are not so lucky.  For some, the craving never goes away.
Multiple bypass operations ...WOW ...The one I had was bad ..really don't want to do that again..
Habit or addiction I don't miss cigs ...but I still pine for Captain Black..<sigh>
George

94 Dolphin DP
99 CRV W/Blue Ox & Patriot Brakes
95 F-150 4X4 4.9
F420661
Fresno, Ohio most of the time

workingtorv

• ---
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »
Jim, Im going to join you I just had one and thought how utterly awful it tasted.  Good Luck to the both of us.  Although I smoke one pack per 2 days it is still too much and I hate the smell and have developed a smokers cough so what better a time.  Smoking is the only thing I wish I had never done.
2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2008 Saturn AuraXR
Ontario, Canada

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 09:44:11 AM »
I'm three and a half years into a cold turkey quit, after 53 years of smoking -- it helps a lot to think of myself as a non-smoker, rather than thinking "I quit smoking." I've known quite a number of folks who quit over the years. You can stay quit if you want it bad enough. For me, a few months and I only had the desire to smoke on rare occasions. Now even when it's there, it's not very strong -- and it's very rare.

Best of luck.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
I would wake up dreaming of having a smoke..two of the things that got me thru was sleeping a lot (you don't smoke when you sleep) and cheesey poofs. It doesn't matter if you gain weight, get the smoking under control. Then you can work on the weight. Agree with Lou, I had a  smoking habit not an addiction.
 Wizard....one of my Docs told me it I went back to smoking he would not treat me and drop me as a patient, said there is no need for him to be treating a dead man.
  Lou..how did you like Duke? The Docs said they would send me there for the xplant if Mayo doesn't accept me.
Hang tuff Jim...It gets easier the longer you go without and the urges only last a few seconds. It's your life you're working on.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:13 AM »
  Lou..how did you like Duke? The Docs said they would send me there for the xplant if Mayo doesn't accept me.

Will, I liked Duke just fine, and I think they could only have gotten better in the last 20 years.  It was actually their top transplant surgeon who performed my bypass operation.

Just an aside - At the time (early '90s) it was assumed that using the largest vein grafts obtainable from a patients own leg was the wisest thing to do in a bypass procedure.  However, that proved false in my case.  It was the size of the grafts that became a problem.  They acted like reservoires and slowed the blood flow to the point that they collected sediment until they finally closed up themselves, and had to be replaced in a second operation, nine years later.

Medication, eating habits and not smoking have allowed me to stay pretty healthy for the past twelve years.

Wishing you the best of luck and care in any future heart procedures.  lou

stormbytes

• ---
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
Took me 40 years and several tries, but I finally managed to quit about 14 years ago.  The mind is a funny thing.  I decided I could go back to smoking any time I wanted to and that actually helped me to not want to - that and about $1000 worth of Nicorette gum. :)

Hah! Chewing as I read this.....

Good for you!

Kick it. Choose Life. Plain and simple.

Oh, and give the gum a whirl...
-
Daniel

1994 Winnebago Warrior, 22' - Class A
. . .

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

- Oscar Wilde

Sed Libera Nos A Malo

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »
After smoking four packs per day for 30 years, I woke up one Sunday morning and said "That's enough".
I haven't had a cigarette for 25 years; and I went out bar hopping with my boss the day after I stopped!
Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:12 AM »
>>Jim and Daniel......If you need any shock incentives let me tell you about my Lungs and hopefully a xplant. This is what bad decisions will do for you. You may feel good now but that bad stuff WILL catch ya later.
  Thanks Lou..it will get better. Oh...if you need another vein, the doc said I had an extra one in my leg that I could share.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

stormbytes

• ---
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »
Cat,

I smoked about a pack a day for just shy of 20 years. I stopped just over a year ago, and its a challenge every day, though I don't actually crave the feel of smoke down my throat anymore. My grandfather recently passed from COPD.

Not smoking is a hard choice and one you need to make every day. But you get used to it.

My heart goes out to you, and I wish you speedy recovery!
-
Daniel

1994 Winnebago Warrior, 22' - Class A
. . .

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

- Oscar Wilde

Sed Libera Nos A Malo

Hosted by Over The Network