EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Quit smoking  (Read 180637 times)

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
Re: Quit smoking
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »
Well, I'm here. Nothing to report that anyone is going to like. I've hung a little bit better than even for the last few days.  :-\

Getting a bit easier, but not much. I've been studying. Learned some about the e-cig. I have been "smoking" it wrong. Changing that has been very helpful. Much more satisfying, accounting for some progress in the mood catagory. Simply put, one smokes it as if it were a regular cigarette. Now, it's a challenge, a real competitor, to the real cig. Reduces the stress, by a mile! Needed that.

So, I'm still on this wagon. May get off, now and then, for some running exercise, but I soon get back on. Translation: Light a real cig. Take two puffs. Snuff it. Go to e-cig for next puff. A few hours later, light the remains. Take two puffs. Snuff it.

Many times, I get a real cig out, decide I don't need it, and return it to the pack. Puff the e-cig, instead. May not look like progress to others, but I feel like I've come a long way. Grabbing every crutch I can find!  ;D 

Re: Staying away from friends that smoke: Ummmm - - - that  would be me. I'm the smoker. I associate with one other smoker, my ex-wife, and she is on the e-cig kick, also. We're still good friends and going to stay that way, I hope. My friends are my cheering section, including this forum. Not staying away from anyone. Would like more company. Don't have the smoking urge around friends, very much.

Oh, and don't have a sufficient number of friends that I can afford to lose any.  ;) 

I have made it through the winter pretty well, in my motorhome. Been warm and comfy and lonely. Got a bunch of folks fulltiming it, in this park, but when winter hit, they all went into their dens and hibernated. Rarely see anyone. Been a mild winter, record mild! Lowest low was 8 deg. Very little snow. May post later about how I made it, but everyone else, here, made it, as well. (and without going to the extreme I did to prepare.) Still, read lots of questions here about weathering the weather, so may post it later.

Ray D.  :)

Oh, forgot to congratulate Jim. Two weeks is a mountain of climbing. Keep climbing. You are going to make it, and I won't be all that far behind you.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:55:18 PM by Ray D »
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »
Way ta go Ray, keep it up!  18 days down here, doing great, still a challenge, however doing fine.  Anyone else that has read this post and considering quitting, just jump on the wagon.  Thanks to everyone else that has had spirit of support.
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

visch1

• ---
  • '06-29G BIGFOOT
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2012, 06:48:45 AM »
I, like a lot of folks quit a hundred times, for a few hours. Fortunately I got what I needed one day and just lost the desire for another one. At the time I was smoking 3 packs a day. Iím sure a lot of hidden messages in the head was the big push. I heard so many people say it was the hardest thing they had done including stopping drinking and hard drug users. Some say that itís better to think about something else when the desire hits as time has shown them. Iím grateful it was easy for me 28 years ago as I cannot afford 3 packs a day now. 
I PLAN. GOD LAUGHS!!!

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
You guys keep it up. You CAN do it. I just saw on a TV show today where a doctor said to substitute the smoking habit with a different, healthier habit like walking. Just a thought.

Wendy
smokefree since 1981
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »
And then there was last night's news where they were talking about the cancer rate which overall is declining - thankfully.  One third of the cancer deaths are from lung cancer caused by smoking, one third are caused by obesity and lack of exercise, and the last one third are from all other causes of cancer.  For those who smoke, don't exercise, and are obese the longterm outlook isn't very encouraging.  So NOW is the time to stop!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »
Wendy, so substituting a crack habit is not a good sub for smoking?  I used peppermint lifesavers.  I wasn't even a menthol smoker.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2012, 09:58:39 PM »
Wendy, so substituting a crack habit is not a good sub for smoking?  I used peppermint lifesavers.  I wasn't even a menthol smoker.

"Healthier" was the important word :)  And for me it was peppermint sticks and I was a menthol smoker.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2012, 12:05:09 AM »

"Healthier" was the important word :)  And for me it was peppermint sticks and I was a menthol smoker.

Clove Lifesavers in my case. 
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2012, 06:05:39 PM »
Wow... thread read over 1700 times, suspect lot's of ex-smokers out there.  Went back n' read a bunch of the responses, thanks to all of them, really mean that.  Going well, this Saturday it's going to be a Month.  It's amazing how fast the lungs start clearing.  Anyone reading this (that smokes) needs to really consider what they are doing... If I can do this anyone can.  Ray - how ya doing?
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »
Ray - how ya doing?

Gotta get a better seat on this wagon. Keep falling off this one.  :-[   ::)

I do get right back on, but this ping-pong game has to stop. Actually, I think I'm doing well. Developing an attitude. I'll get there.

Funny, when I turned the computer on I thought "It's about time he checked with me, again." And, here you are. Thanks for the bump.  :D

I'm liking the e-cigs better, and that has been a boost. They are starting to taste right. I am starting to find the real cigs a bit dissatisfying, not pleasant, taste wise.

Congrats on the month. Keep checking in.

Ray D.  :)
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »
Keep at it, Ray. You'll get there, you have the desire and it's just a matter of time.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »
Thanks, Wendy.  :)

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »
Gotta tell ya what's cool.... Forgot about posting for the past couple weeks, same story, getting boring now, still on that wagon!  Feel's much too nice to ruin this easy breathing frankly, 35yrs of smok'in is done!  Six weeks down coming this weekend, it's getting easier by the day now, good sign I think.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »
Congrads -- stick with it!
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
Way to go, Jim.

I am lagging, but not giving up. It's a fight every day. Win some - lose some.

Ray D  :)

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2012, 07:53:43 PM »
Keep it up Jim. There will come a time when a cigarette smells really good, but resist, don't go back and start over from scratch. YOU CAN DO THIS! (And, Ray, you can, too.)
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »
Gotta tell ya what's cool.... Forgot about posting for the past couple weeks, same story, getting boring now, still on that wagon!  Feel's much too nice to ruin this easy breathing frankly, 35yrs of smok'in is done!  Six weeks down coming this weekend, it's getting easier by the day now, good sign I think.

Congratulations!!!  You deserve heaps of praise!  And Ray, hang in there .... you'll get there, because you want to.

Margi

Daisy

• ---
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »
Ditto what Wendy said.  Resist all temptations, and especially stay away from people who continue to smoke.  I'd quit for six months, when thrown back into this crowd.  Family, whom I could'nt avoid.  Lot control fro anothert 15 years.  Won't let that happen again.  Moved away from all of them

Daisy
Daisy.  Location:  Sometimes here, Sometimes there.  All depends on the mood of the moment!

aubreyshaw

• ---
    • Life's Short! Go RVing!
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2012, 11:44:44 PM »
I quit a few months ago after reading "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking".  I highly recommend it!  I wish you the best!
RVing With Young Kids
F350 6.0 L PSD Dually
5er - 2001 Jayco 34'  w/1 slide
http://lifesshortgorving.blogspot.com/

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »
I quit a few months ago after reading "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking".  I highly recommend it!  I wish you the best!
Good for you, awesome aubreyshaw.  How many years of smoking did you put behind you?  I'm only at 6 weeks, however am actually finding it a bit easier the past couple of weeks, don't think about it so much.  What helps is I did prepare for the last few years a bit, can't smoke at work which was nice, refused to smoke in a vehicle and I commute over 1hr each way to get to work, also have not smoked in our home for years.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2012, 02:21:50 AM »
How's it going Jim and Ray?  Still on the wagon I hope.   Decided to climb on with both of you!!!

Smoking for 30 odd years.  Have quit several times but within a few months I fall off the wagon and don't climb back on. (So Ray, keep climbing back on)  DH is doing it with me this time so I hope we can get through it with the support of each other and with the support of family and friends.  I hate that I stink all the time and have a persistent cough.  Life has to be better then this!

Hope you guys are doing well and wish me and the DH luck.

Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2012, 04:01:13 AM »
Doing great here!  I don't think about it all the time now, once n' a while I feel strange like something is missing, however passes quickly.  I think next Saturday is 11 weeks, not keeping track anymore really, I do remember the day though, stopped 10 March!  Ray, how ya been?  Way ta' go Robin, best of luck, stay with it!
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2012, 10:10:37 AM »
Good for all of you quitters ! You can do it. I no longer remember the exact date but it was June 1981. Can't imagine trying to breath on hikes in the high country if I hadn't quit.

Wendy
Moab UT
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

winnone

• ---
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »
My dad quit smoking May 9, 1995...that's the day he died from his final heart attack.  First heart attack when he was 46 years old.  Died of heart failure and emphysema.  His brothers that didn't smoke lived to be in their 90's...dad in his 70's...and the last years were not fun.  Don't start and if you have...please STOP!  Life is too precious to lose it to cigarettes.    :'(
Margaret Smith
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 37B
1965 GTO, 1966 Mustang Coupe and 2011 Mustang GT
Home race track...Firebird Raceway, Boise, ID

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2012, 09:18:24 PM »
How's it going Jim and Ray?  Still on the wagon I hope.   Decided to climb on with both of you!!!

Off again - on again - back again -Flanigan! Having  Hell of a time. I'll be boarding again, shortly. Glad to see some new quitters joining. I'm the longest unsuccessful quitter, here, now.

I get inspiration here. When I need to start over, I come here and read, again. Good luck fellow quitters.

Ray D  :)

winnone

• ---
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
You can do it Ray...here's some help right here in Idaho.   http://www.projectfilter.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=66   
Margaret Smith
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 37B
1965 GTO, 1966 Mustang Coupe and 2011 Mustang GT
Home race track...Firebird Raceway, Boise, ID

inflt

• ---
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2012, 10:25:58 AM »
I smoked for 25 years. 1 1/2 packs a day, plus half a dozen pipes or cigars. Then I held my father's hand while he died of lung cancer, Feb 27th, 1992. I told my wife that I wasn't going to go that way. March 2, 1992 was my last smoke. You just got to want to quit more than you want to smoke.

Lee

workingtorv

• ---
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »
Ray, I haven't been on in a while but you may feel better to know I haven't conquered it either.  We lost a dog and life ended for us which going for the smokes was easy to do.  We have since gotten a new puppy but I'm still smoking and from I gather you are doing much better than I.  I do have to get back on the wagon and hope to conquer this terrible nasty addiction.
2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2008 Saturn AuraXR
Ontario, Canada

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »
I'm still smoking and from I gather you are doing much better than I.

Good luck to you. Keep going.

You may be gathering too much. I'm not one bit pleased with my progress. I have a super stressful situation that does seem to be improving. Haven't had the motorhome on the road for going on three years, now. Living alone in it at an RV Park. Broken hip still not healed. I don't want to make anyone cry, but this is tough. Still, everyday I have a knock-down-drag-out-fistfight with quitting. Going to do it. Think it will be sudden, when I get there. May start eating the cigs, or at least giving them a nasty bite, instead of lighting them on fire!  >:(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:23:39 PM by Ray D »

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2012, 09:37:51 PM »
     For what it's worth, Donna and I noted that we didn't see anyone smoking at the Moab Rally.  In fact, one evening, we were hosted to supper and entertainment from the campground owner & family, and one of the non framily camper wandered over, and proceeded to light up a cigaret.  The smell was quite noticeable, and she moved on once the song was finished.
     Keep up your efforts, it is worth it.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Hosted by Over The Network