Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just over 2 weeks now and still hanging in there.  I did listen to Sgt Ardra and got rid of the cigs.  I go through times when the urge is so strong I don't think I'll make it and then I'm thinking of something else and I've forgotten about them. 

I went camping with family this weekend and my brother was smoking the entire time.  It was hard but I made it so it gives me hope!!

If I can make it through this then I know he will be next.

Thanks everyone,
Robin

I quit smoking 21/2 years ago, and I still want a cigarette every single day of my life. I'm actually considering starting the electronic cigarettes.

Pikachu_DFW said:
I quit smoking 21/2 years ago, and I still want a cigarette every single day of my life. I'm actually considering starting the electronic cigarettes.
I struggled with this.  The only thing I can tell you, is that it will subside - if you let it.  After 2 1/2 years of not smoking, I do not think it is nicotine addiction, but purely the habit of having something to do at those times you always lit up a cigarette.  I fully believe if you go to the e-cigarette you will risk that next step of "oh, I'll just have one" when you are around smokers.  Hang in there.

My wife, my sister in law and I all quit about 2 years ago be using the e cigarette.  I was a smoker for over 50 years.  We still smoke e cigarettes and my Dr. (I have COPD) has said that the e cigarettes are OK for me as we smoke 0 nicotine ones (vanilla flavor, BTW).  It has worked well for us and there is a marked improvement in my COPD!!

Roadhappy said:
Just over 2 weeks now and still hanging in there.  I did listen to Sgt Ardra and got rid of the cigs.  I go through times when the urge is so strong I don't think I'll make it and then I'm thinking of something else and I've forgotten about them. 

I went camping with family this weekend and my brother was smoking the entire time.  It was hard but I made it so it gives me hope!!

If I can make it through this then I know he will be next.

Thanks everyone,
Robin
Way to go!!!!!! Simply AWESOME.  Three months now for me, I actually can't believe how fast the productive breathing and cough disappeared.  This is one thread that I really hope continues with no end with new posts, holding an endless stream of others jumping on the wagon.

Jim,

Mother was right!  She used to tell me that my cough would go away if I'd just quit smoking.  Didn't believe her - until I did and it did too!  Now I find I sometimes start coughing when I'm in a heavy smoke environment.  But at least I can leave that.

ArdraF

I just discovered this thread.  My brother was a heavy smoker.  Now he's a heavy chewer.  He's tried all the stop smoking techniques.  Then he discovered the gum, Nicorette (sp) or some such thing.  It's a $40.00 a month habit and he's been doing it for the past 3 years.  I tease him about it but it's got to be better than cigarettes. 

My father died of lung cancer.  That was in 1964.  He smoked two, maybe three packs a day.  When I was 15, during a physical, a nurse asked if I smoked.  I didn't.  But 15 years breathing second hand smoke obviously had some negative effect on my lungs.  I never smoked until I turned 18.  Then I smoked more and more until I was at least a two pack a day smoker.  By then I was in my mid 20's.  I inherited my fathers insurance agency following his death and a cigarette was my constant companion.  Even thought the ceiling in my office had yellowed from years of smoking, (nicotine stain I guess), I continued.  My office had three desks.  Two for me, and one for my secretary.  Frequently I would be working at one desk, light up a cigarette and then need something from the other desk (it was in a private office) only to find another cigarette burning in an ashtray on that desk.  I would smoke until I couldn't stand the taste of the cigarettes.  Then I'd try menthols.  Uhg.  I quit three times.  Once for a year.  Broke up with my girlfriend and immediately had to light up.  Then after 7 years during a poker game while at a convention I was tempted and decided to just have one.  But, after smoking OPs for a few weeks, it was back to the two a day habit.  The last time was 32 years ago after my son was born.  I'm so glad I quit.  I can't imagine having to pay $5 or $6 for a pack of cigarettes. 

Yes, understand the second hand thing... Both my parents smoked, one a constant stream of cigarette smoke in the house, car where ever, the other a pipe, same thing, house filled with smoke.  Go figure, I ended up smoking pretty steady in my late teens, even through 11yrs in the Marines, every chance I got, cigarette in hand.  Finally after over 35yrs... just plain had enough.  Every night now when I go to bed I smile... Hopefully I will live longer, however 35yrs is a lot of abuse.

Well... How's the wagon load doing?????  March 10th to ... Forever... Anyone else still on this wagon?

I quit 13-14 years ago.  Today I was walking across Walmart parking lot and someone had dropped a half-pack of Camels...just laying there in front of me...pop-top open showing a bunch of cigs...just laying there...tempting me...one wouldn't hurt and who's to know...I stomped on it.

Hopefully the reason that half a pack was on the ground like that is that the owner decided to quit!  :)  Good move with the stomp...  Thanks for the story!

Keep up the good work, Jim!  Before you know it, it will be six months, one year, three years and then maybe you'll quit counting!

ArdraF

Ok, I'll report. Don't want to be left behind.  :( 

I'm off, again.  :'( 

Busy killing dragons. All the small ones are gone, now. Only big ones left.  :eek: 

Have attempted different angles. Retianed the old ones. Multifaueted attack. Found it easy to not smoke before 9:00 AM or after 9:00 PM. So, there's a gift for me. Don't even have an urge for half the day. Drinking my coffee without a cig or two is a good start to the day.  :) 

Put up a sign by the coffee area - Breathe or Smoke? - Thinking about more places to put signs.

If I could stop smoking in the car, I'd have this whipped. That's my biggest hurdle. Second biggest is group bull sessions and I am the only smoker at those - go figure!

Working on it. Will be back on, shortly.  :-[  Not giving up.

Ray D  :D 

Not giving up.

Good for you, Ray!  No one ever said life was fair or easy and this is just one of those things in the not easy category.  Question - how can you be smoking if you threw them all out and didn't buy any more??? Uh, oh!  I bet you didn't follow Sarge Ardra's instructions!  Repeat after me:  I am throwing out all my cigarettes NOW and I will NOT buy anymore.  Maybe you need to find a chalkboard and write it 100 times!  ::)

ArdraF

Doing OK here.  Going on 5 weeks of total nonsmoking.  I still really miss it but as all of you say it will get easier and easier.  Not using my inhaler anymore and hardly ever cough so I can already see the benefits and I feel really good.  My husband is doing this with me so it makes it easier because I'm never around it anymore. 

Ray, I thought the car would be the hardest part too but it has actually been the easiest part.  I do realize now how much my car stinks!!! 

Hanging in there and hope everyone is doing great.

Robin

Keep trying Ray.  Knowing there's others out there like me help me stay on track.  That and the price of inhalers.  ;D

The cost of inhalers and the cost of cigarettes should be enough to get anyone to quit smoking. Not to mention the joys of being able to smell things, tasting your food, and having a clean house.

Hang in there guys. You can do it.
Wendy

Thanks Wendy!  While I have not smoked in the 'house' (car or any enclosed space) for many years, you are absolutely correct, the smell was in everything!  I will not lie and say that I do not think of it anymore, however it's pretty cool not having the ashes, cigarette packs, lighters, matches..... Just all that junk around anymore!  Also, it's really cool now being able to say that I did this for ME, I will live longer for my family and accomplished this!  It's 'doable' friends... March 10th get's further and further away everyday!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom