EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Quit smoking  (Read 163733 times)

firehose

• ---
Re: Quit smoking
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
I've recently quit smoking, I plan on for good.  I've smoked on and off, for the past 20 years.  I'd stop, then start up again, I think most smokers understand.

This last month, I battled a bad respiratory infection (virus) in my lungs.  This was a wake up call.  Difficulty breathing, and I saw my future ahead of me if I kept on smoking. 

It's been over a month since my last cigarette, and I'm steadfast in my conviction to remain strong and stay the course.  I don't ever, want to to have difficulty breathing again.  I can say that. 

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
Wow, a month.  It's been 5 days for me and it's killing me.  All I can do not to run out in the garage and smoke one. 

Hopefully it will get easier.  It's got to.  :(
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

skyking1

• ---
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2012, 10:44:21 PM »
Folks, I read this thread front to back. Having a tough time typing this with out making a mess of the keyboard, I just gotta say how happy I am for you and your families.
You are doing what my folks could never do. Keep up the good work!
Kelly and Mary

1996 Dodge CTD 2500 "Woody"
1991 Avion 29.5 ST
Washington State

http://boondockerswelcome.com/users/skyking

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2012, 11:06:17 PM »
Okay guys.  The drill "sarge" is back at it here with the tough love routine.  I know it's tough quitting, but I've got two suggestions.

First, take any and all cigarettes you have around your home and/or work, tear them apart, and put the debris in with the garbage so you can't possibly recover any of them.  And don't cheat by keeping a hidden stash!  Remember that - NO hidden stashes.  Zero, nada, none.

Second, do NOT buy any more cigarettes.  Not even one pack!  Avoid the stores where you normally buy them or the aisle of the store where you normally buy them.  You're tempting yourselves too much by having them around and you've got to stop doing that or you'll never quit.  Why do you feel you have to have some available???  The reality is that as long as they're readily available, you'll smoke them eventually because the temptation is just too great.  Serious dieters avoid going to bakeries, for example, to avoid all those yummy-looking desserts they don't want to eat.  Total avoidance is the only path to success.

Ray, I heard a TV report recently on whether that machine you've been using really works and guess what - researchers say it doesn't.  If you're still using it, that might be proof that you're on the wrong track for stopping smoking.  I know your conditions with the hip etc. aren't exactly conducive to quitting, but you need to - no must - try something different because what you've been doing isn't working.  I know you and if you can do some of the other things you've done in your life, you CAN do this!  A bunch of us out here are counting on it.  ;D

Ed's observation about no one at the Moab rally smoking was right on.  I hadn't realized it until I read his comment, but I don't know of a single person in our group who smokes.  There are quite a few former smokers, but no current smokers - unless one or two are in the closet!  ::)

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2012, 11:38:14 AM »
You guys read and heed what Sgt Ardra said. Get rid of the ciggies, do NOT keep some around "just in case" because you are making sure that "just in case" happens. I'm dieting and I simply can not have cookies and candy in the house, if they're here, I eat them. So trash the ciggies and the lighters and the ashtrays. Do a major house cleanoing to get rid of all the smoke smell - you'll be surprised how this helps because your house / RV smells good, you sure don't want to do that cleaning again.

I hadn't noticed that no one in Moab was smoking until we were at the Bar M and a busload of French tourists came and sat near us and two of them were smoking - ICK and YUCK. I had to get up and move.

YOU CAN DO IT !
Wendy
Non-smoker since May 1981
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »
What Ardra said!  What Wendy said!  We know it's tough to quit because we've done it.  You'll be sooooo happy when you finally reach cigarette abstinance.  Once you've succeeded you'll be absolutely revolted by the smell.

Margi

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »
If you think stopping smoking is tough then try to get a lung transplant, try living at the end of an oxygen hose....hell..smoking is easy to quit in comparison...I cant quit this..

Sorry but I hope it helps someone stop :(
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »
12 weeks today, doing fine.  My Brother showed yesterday for a visit, sat near me in the driveway and was smoking, I could not take it, had to go in the house.  Just don't want to be close to a lit cigarette!
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2012, 10:35:12 AM »
Good for you Jim.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
Good choice, jje.  Maybe your brother will get a clue and quit along with you?

Margi

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #160 on: June 06, 2012, 01:45:26 AM »
Just over 2 weeks now and still hanging in there.  I did listen to Sgt Ardra and got rid of the cigs.  I go through times when the urge is so strong I don't think I'll make it and then I'm thinking of something else and I've forgotten about them. 

I went camping with family this weekend and my brother was smoking the entire time.  It was hard but I made it so it gives me hope!!

If I can make it through this then I know he will be next.

Thanks everyone,
Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 F250 Powerstroke

Pikachu_DFW

• ---
« Reply #161 on: June 06, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »
I quit smoking 21/2 years ago, and I still want a cigarette every single day of my life. I'm actually considering starting the electronic cigarettes.
I hope to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandmother did, not panic-stricken, screaming in terror like the passengers in her car.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #162 on: June 06, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
I quit smoking 21/2 years ago, and I still want a cigarette every single day of my life. I'm actually considering starting the electronic cigarettes.
I struggled with this.  The only thing I can tell you, is that it will subside - if you let it.  After 2 1/2 years of not smoking, I do not think it is nicotine addiction, but purely the habit of having something to do at those times you always lit up a cigarette.  I fully believe if you go to the e-cigarette you will risk that next step of "oh, I'll just have one" when you are around smokers.  Hang in there.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

davencjkan

• ---
  • Still Full Timing and Love It
« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »
My wife, my sister in law and I all quit about 2 years ago be using the e cigarette.  I was a smoker for over 50 years.  We still smoke e cigarettes and my Dr. (I have COPD) has said that the e cigarettes are OK for me as we smoke 0 nicotine ones (vanilla flavor, BTW).  It has worked well for us and there is a marked improvement in my COPD!!
Dave, Carol (DW), Kathy (SIL and Carol's twin), Shadow (he's a silver back terrier/poodle and we're his people) Peaches (a miniature dachshund) and Duchess (she's a Pekingese/Pomeranian)
Oh, and "R Lady Liberty" our 36' Travelcraft Class A

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »
Just over 2 weeks now and still hanging in there.  I did listen to Sgt Ardra and got rid of the cigs.  I go through times when the urge is so strong I don't think I'll make it and then I'm thinking of something else and I've forgotten about them. 

I went camping with family this weekend and my brother was smoking the entire time.  It was hard but I made it so it gives me hope!!

If I can make it through this then I know he will be next.

Thanks everyone,
Robin
Way to go!!!!!! Simply AWESOME.  Three months now for me, I actually can't believe how fast the productive breathing and cough disappeared.  This is one thread that I really hope continues with no end with new posts, holding an endless stream of others jumping on the wagon.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
Jim,

Mother was right!  She used to tell me that my cough would go away if I'd just quit smoking.  Didn't believe her - until I did and it did too!  Now I find I sometimes start coughing when I'm in a heavy smoke environment.  But at least I can leave that.

ArdraF
ArdraF

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2012, 12:11:30 PM »
I just discovered this thread.  My brother was a heavy smoker.  Now he's a heavy chewer.  He's tried all the stop smoking techniques.  Then he discovered the gum, Nicorette (sp) or some such thing.  It's a $40.00 a month habit and he's been doing it for the past 3 years.  I tease him about it but it's got to be better than cigarettes. 

My father died of lung cancer.  That was in 1964.  He smoked two, maybe three packs a day.  When I was 15, during a physical, a nurse asked if I smoked.  I didn't.  But 15 years breathing second hand smoke obviously had some negative effect on my lungs.  I never smoked until I turned 18.  Then I smoked more and more until I was at least a two pack a day smoker.  By then I was in my mid 20's.  I inherited my fathers insurance agency following his death and a cigarette was my constant companion.  Even thought the ceiling in my office had yellowed from years of smoking, (nicotine stain I guess), I continued.  My office had three desks.  Two for me, and one for my secretary.  Frequently I would be working at one desk, light up a cigarette and then need something from the other desk (it was in a private office) only to find another cigarette burning in an ashtray on that desk.  I would smoke until I couldn't stand the taste of the cigarettes.  Then I'd try menthols.  Uhg.  I quit three times.  Once for a year.  Broke up with my girlfriend and immediately had to light up.  Then after 7 years during a poker game while at a convention I was tempted and decided to just have one.  But, after smoking OPs for a few weeks, it was back to the two a day habit.  The last time was 32 years ago after my son was born.  I'm so glad I quit.  I can't imagine having to pay $5 or $6 for a pack of cigarettes. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
Yes, understand the second hand thing... Both my parents smoked, one a constant stream of cigarette smoke in the house, car where ever, the other a pipe, same thing, house filled with smoke.  Go figure, I ended up smoking pretty steady in my late teens, even through 11yrs in the Marines, every chance I got, cigarette in hand.  Finally after over 35yrs... just plain had enough.  Every night now when I go to bed I smile... Hopefully I will live longer, however 35yrs is a lot of abuse.
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2012, 05:39:28 PM »
Well... How's the wagon load doing?????  March 10th to ... Forever... Anyone else still on this wagon?
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »
Your lungs are thanking you. So is your house :)  Hang in there.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »
I quit 13-14 years ago.  Today I was walking across Walmart parking lot and someone had dropped a half-pack of Camels...just laying there in front of me...pop-top open showing a bunch of cigs...just laying there...tempting me...one wouldn't hurt and who's to know...I stomped on it.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »
Hopefully the reason that half a pack was on the ground like that is that the owner decided to quit!  :)  Good move with the stomp...  Thanks for the story!
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2012, 07:44:43 PM »
Keep up the good work, Jim!  Before you know it, it will be six months, one year, three years and then maybe you'll quit counting!

ArdraF
ArdraF

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »
Ok, I'll report. Don't want to be left behind.  :( 

I'm off, again.  :'( 

Busy killing dragons. All the small ones are gone, now. Only big ones left.  :o 

Have attempted different angles. Retianed the old ones. Multifaueted attack. Found it easy to not smoke before 9:00 AM or after 9:00 PM. So, there's a gift for me. Don't even have an urge for half the day. Drinking my coffee without a cig or two is a good start to the day.  :) 

Put up a sign by the coffee area - Breathe or Smoke? - Thinking about more places to put signs.

If I could stop smoking in the car, I'd have this whipped. That's my biggest hurdle. Second biggest is group bull sessions and I am the only smoker at those - go figure!

Working on it. Will be back on, shortly.  :-[  Not giving up.

Ray D  :D 

Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2012, 08:50:50 PM »
Not giving up.

Good for you, Ray!  No one ever said life was fair or easy and this is just one of those things in the not easy category.  Question - how can you be smoking if you threw them all out and didn't buy any more??? Uh, oh!  I bet you didn't follow Sarge Ardra's instructions!  Repeat after me:  I am throwing out all my cigarettes NOW and I will NOT buy anymore.  Maybe you need to find a chalkboard and write it 100 times!  ::)

ArdraF
ArdraF

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2012, 11:07:05 PM »
Doing OK here.  Going on 5 weeks of total nonsmoking.  I still really miss it but as all of you say it will get easier and easier.  Not using my inhaler anymore and hardly ever cough so I can already see the benefits and I feel really good.  My husband is doing this with me so it makes it easier because I'm never around it anymore. 

Ray, I thought the car would be the hardest part too but it has actually been the easiest part.  I do realize now how much my car stinks!!! 

Hanging in there and hope everyone is doing great.

Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 F250 Powerstroke

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2012, 11:14:49 PM »
Not using my inhaler anymore
  :o

OK, now there's a nice enticement. Would give anything to be rid of inhalers! Might even quit smoking!  :)

Ray D  :D
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2012, 02:42:24 AM »
Keep trying Ray.  Knowing there's others out there like me help me stay on track.  That and the price of inhalers.  ;D
Robin & Charles
2008 F250 Powerstroke

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »
The cost of inhalers and the cost of cigarettes should be enough to get anyone to quit smoking. Not to mention the joys of being able to smell things, tasting your food, and having a clean house.

Hang in there guys. You can do it.
Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »
Thanks Wendy!  While I have not smoked in the 'house' (car or any enclosed space) for many years, you are absolutely correct, the smell was in everything!  I will not lie and say that I do not think of it anymore, however it's pretty cool not having the ashes, cigarette packs, lighters, matches..... Just all that junk around anymore!  Also, it's really cool now being able to say that I did this for ME, I will live longer for my family and accomplished this!  It's 'doable' friends... March 10th get's further and further away everyday!!!
Jim
2011 Cougar SRX

Hosted by Over The Network