water system won't flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger12

I recently bought a 2007 Four wheel, Keystone model with pressurized water system.  The pump runs, water comes out of the cold side of the rear shower, but not the sink, outside shower, toilet won't flush.  Seller said he had put antifreeze in.  Temps in Reno have been down to +11 lately.

Any ideas?

Hi Tiger12, welcome to The RV Forum!

I'll bet you have a frozen pipe -actually PEX tubing - probably somewhere between the inside shower and the toilet/outside shower.  When you put antifreeze in, you have to make sure it goes through all of the pipes and comes out of all the spigots - sounds like the previous owner missed this step.

Chances are you'll find a broken pipe when things warm up.  In the meantime, make sure the pump is off so you don't have a big mess when things thaw out.

This might be a stupid suggestion, but did you check the individual supply valves for your toilet and sinks? Make sure they're not closed.

If yes, I'd agree with Lou. Good Luck!

It has warmed above freezing-- 40-65 for several days; no leaks.  I hooked up to my house hose with pressure re stricter and still no water coming at sink, outside shower, toilet won't flush;  Inside shower flows on cold water only.  I drained the water heater--no apparent problems. 

There are no shut off valves that I can find for individual faucets--sink, shower, like a house.  No other valves that I can find.  It is a mystery??

Is your water heater still open?  You have to fill the water heater tank before water will appear at any of the hot water outlets.  With the system pressurized, open a hot water faucet and see if you hear air escaping.  Put your hand over the outlet if you aren't sure.  Leave it open until the tank is full and water starts to flow.

An empty hot water tank will also steal water flow and pressure from the rest of the system until it fills.

Also make sure water isn't backflowing through the water pump and into the fresh water tank.  The pump should act as a one way valve to keep this from happening, if it's bad it may be letting water into the tank and stealing pressure from the rest of the system.

There may be winterizing bypass valves on the inside of the water heater - make sure they aren't bypassing the tank.

Other than that, the water system is pretty simple, with a master line running from one fixture to the next and feed lines teed off from it.  There usually aren't any individual shutoff valves.  You should be able to trace most of the system by looking in cabinets, etc.

Sometimes the aerator screens in the faucets plug up.  The tips of most faucets unscrew so you can remove and clean them.  Do the same for the showerhead - usually there's a water shutoff valve at the head so you can take a Navy shower - wet down, turn of the water while you soap up, then rinse.

For the toilet, unscrew the water coupling, have someone turn on the outside water momentarily and see if you get a flow.  You might have lost the toilet valve in a freeze.

I found the problem after removing the panel covering plumbing.  It was the stop valve (keeps the water from flowing backwards) between the pump and the water heater.  The internal parts had become separated; I put them back together and reassembled it.  Works OK now.

New problem--cassete toilet.  I'll start a new post on that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom