Fairly new to us - Arctic Fox 990 camper has an issue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Powerstroke2000

Actually, I have a couple of issues, as we are going through the first winter with our camper.  Living in western Canada, our camper, like most, is sitting in the driveway on the truck (jacks down - holding some weight) which has a breathable cover over it.    I put a couple DriZair containers in, and check them monthly, but today after checking them, I see water has been leaking through the roof air conditioner, and there are several 'wet' spots showing on the ceiling around the air conditioner!    Our camper is a 2010 model, so it's hard to believe that it would leak already, but since we bought our unit in Arizona, going back to the dealer is out of the question.    I assume the fix is on 'me'....but I thought I'd ask if this is an issue some have seen before, and what should I expect when taking it in to a local RV repair facility?

One other annoying issue, is there is a 'beeping' sound every so many minutes, coming from what I believe is a detector down low in front of the fridge area!    I'm not sure if this detector is repairable, or why at this early stage of it's life it is doing this, as the camper is plugged into the house power, plus the batteries are near a full charge!    Hard to believe at 2 years old that these issues have cropped up, but again...any information/advice/comments...please pass them along.

Thanks.

I have e friend who has a 2010 990. Started leaking this winter so he took it back to the dealer who stated this a common problem that isn't covered by warranty. It seems that if you travel on rough roads or terrain, the four bolts that hold the AC unit in place loosen up. When they become too lose, the seal breaks. The dealer told him that it was the owner's responsibility to check the tightness of these bolts. He checked his owner's manual and could not find any information about checking these bolts. I have a 2011 990 and I can't find anything in mine either. I will check the bolts on mine later this spring.

It seems dealers are able to pull any excuse they can manage to conjure up to not give warranty these days.  It's like they speak in a different language, giving excuses that don't make sense at all, but they manage to always put the onus on the customer.  It's sad that they can get away with it!

I didn't even question it (regarding warranty) and paid the bill for the repair myself.  A thicker gasket was installed on mine, so I'm hoping I'm good for a long time now.    Unfortunately, I thought AF was a better brand than most others, but it didn't take long for this problem to creep up.  And no, I haven't been on any rough roads....all paved to this point!

No RV is perfect.

Beeping noise is your low battery..normal for any trailer I have seen..

You trailer is only as good as your monitoring system..you should be doing a check over the trailer every so often...

And yup..AF is a great trailer..you should see what happens with cheap ones..

a lot of folks over at the popup forum I used to frequent used to talk about periodically changing the gasket under roof mounted air conditioners.
I'm sorry i do not recall how frequent, but apparently this is something of a maintenance point......

.... makes me wonder if I should check mine..... ???

I installed a 2nd AC on our Montana last summer. As I recall the gasket between AC and roof is about 3/4 inch thick. If you drop the ceiling cover there are 4 bolts  1/4 inch by about 6 inches long, one in each corner on the inside. If you look up inside with a flashlight and the gasket appears in place I would try snugging all 4 bolts by about a 1/4 turn. You can always go back a second time but you only want to stop the leak not squash  the foam gasket. As mentioned earlier sounds like weak batteries in propane leak detector.

One other annoying issue, is there is a 'beeping' sound every so many minutes, coming from what I believe is a detector down low in front of the fridge area!

The detector is a propane detector which operates from the 12V trailer battery. The beeping indicates your trailer battery is too low and needs charging. Check the water before starting and top up with distilled water if necessary. Don't forget a poorly charged battery is likely to freeze and possibly burst if not attended to!!!

Either that or disconnect it completely, take it inside, carry out the same maintenance and then charge it.

Doesn't sound to me like a low battery if your batteries are fully charged and your camper is plugged in.  I have the same problem with a MTI 35-742W White LP and Carbon Monoxide Flush Mount Detector that's only a year old.  I emailed MTI Industries a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet.  You might take a closer look at the unit, get the model number and see if you can download a manual for it.  The detectors have limited lifespan and some will beep when that's reached and they're simply due for replacement.  The manual will help you figure out if the combination of beeps and lights are indicating that.  Also, if there's a "reset" button on it, you my try that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom