Residency, mail, and a physical address

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy said:
Any negatives on Nevada? What's the sales tax there? Vehicle inspection required?

Vehicle insurance can be expensive, especially if you are domiciled in Reno or Las Vegas.

Jeannine

Nevada sales tax differs by county. The rates range from 6.85% to 8.1%. Clark County, which is where Las Vegas is located, has the 8.1% tax.  The vehicle registration is about the same as California which can be expensive for newer vehicles.  Diesel RVs that are older do not need a smog check (grandfathered in when new law passed) but newer ones do.  I think all gas vehicles are smogged.  Insurance rates also are pretty high, especially in southern Nevada which has both a large number of accidents and a high vehicle theft rate.

ArdraF

DoubleCK - Please use the Search feature above and search on the term Montana LLC.  You will see many prior discussions on this topic.  It's not for everyone and for some people it's barely legal and for others considered tax evasion which is never good.

ArdraF

I just ran into this problem today. I've moved three times in the last year from my 'physical' residence in Portland, Oregon, which was an apartment. I now live full-time in my rv for work and stay in one place for only 4-8 months at a time. Today, I got a ticket for expired tags on my car.  I never got the notice because my mail couldn't be forwarded from the rv parks I stayed in (not an excuse; I should have noticed they were expired).  To re-new the registration, I'm required to go back to Portland to go through DEQ because that's where my car is registered. I'm staying in the central Oregon high desert where there is no DEQ. I have no permanent physical address and don't want to use any of my family's addresses because of the increased insurance costs that go along with an urban address -- I'm never staying in an urban area, so why pay for it.  I can't use the address of the rv park I'm staying in, because it's a drop-spot with no mailboxes. Is there a mail service for full-timers in Oregon? Or should I ask a friend living in a rural community if I could use her address? I don't see Oregon as one of the recommended states to establish residency, but this is my state.  I've lived here most of my life, and I love it. I move around Oregon for work, have my driver's license here along with car registration and insurance.  The title to my rv was changed in Oregon but I wasn't required to actually register it.  In fact, the woman at the DMV suggested that I just buy the $30 trip permit each time I moved it, since I was only moving a few times a year and the registration fee is around $300.  Right now I have a 30 day trip permit for my car, to avoid another ticket, while I figure out where I live.... when I don't really live anywhere.  I feel your pain....... :-\

"Oregon has no vehicle safety (or emission) inspections".
  At least according to this guys  http://www.mailforwardingservices.com/mfs.htm  (maybe just not  in their area.) And you could sign up for their mail services. I have no idea if they are any good or not just searched them out.
1) "I have no permanent physical address"  Sure you do, it is "physically" where these guys are at.

Mayby you should move north 1 state.  check out what Wash address rules.

For personally-owned vehicles
You must provide your residence street address. You also have the option to include an alternate mailing address.

You don?t need to provide your residence street address if any of the following are true:
You?re exempt from paying motor vehicle excise taxes or fees.
Your vehicle is exempt from motor vehicle excise taxes or fees.
[size=12pt]You?re homeless.[/size]

That is from  http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/address.html  So If you were in WA you could tell them you are "homeless".

Funny thing is wife and I are trying to be "homeless".  Two more houses to sell and we will be "homeless".  We are going to do the South Dakota residence thing to prevent issues like you've encountered or at least we hope.

Thanks for the responses path and Jim. That mail service stated it correctly. There are no statewide requirements for emissions testing in Oregon for cars, just in the Portland and Medford metropolitan areas. Unfortunately, my car is still registered at an address that is part of the Portland area. The mail service you refer to, path, is located in a small town that doesn't require it. Thanks for the tip.  I'll check them out with the BBB. Washington is much stricter than Oregon in almost everything, so I'm surprised to see the exemption if you're homeless.  Yes, it's there in black and white.  I did ask the Oregon DMV guy what people do if they're homeless, and he said they use a homeless shelter as their address.  I think I'll go with the mail service.  ;D

Ha!  I just found this list of mail services. http://www.myrvparks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2475

It also includes the one in Jefferson.

Something I discovered was that vehicle insurance would be affected by my physical address.  I am lucky to have a son whose home I will use and who will act as my mail forwarding service, but without that, I would have to establish some address so that my insurance would not get cancelled if they found out I had left my previous residence.

I am moving, putting my stuff in storage, and starting to full-time in 5 weeks, so the first thing I will do after I move my stuff is to apply for a new driver's license and notify my insurance company of my address change. 

Go paperless on everything.  My question is what mail?  Pay all bills online and opt for them to send you email notices vs letter notices.  I efile my taxes with direct deposit refunds.  Direct deposit all incoming funds.  I would have to hunt for my check book.  I know it is in the MH somewhere.  I check my bank accounts nearly daily (not on open wifi networks)

I can forsee only one thing that I need to have mailed to an address and that is the little sticker for the tags when they are renewed.  I always renew for as many years as possible to minimize this.

I use my Dads address as my address.  I vote absentee, maintain my drivers license there, good for another 8 or 10 years, and have my car and MH insurance there. 

If you have your vehicle insurance(s) with National Interstate, you can get all your documents (quotes, invoices, polices) online.

Path - if I were you I would exclude Nevada.  I am originally from there and the sales tax is fairly low but to register your vehicles costs a fortune.  We had a 2009 Ford F350 - $500+ to register and our 2011 Montana 5th wheel was over $700.  We changed our residency to WA because they have no state tax and registration is cheap.  However, we didn't look into it enough because the sales tax is quite high at 8.8 so we had to pay the extra sales tax on the 5th wheel and then again when we traded to motorhome.

lb0456 said:
Path - if I were you I would exclude Nevada.  I am originally from there and the sales tax is fairly low but to register your vehicles costs a fortune.  We had a 2009 Ford F350 - $500+ to register and our 2011 Montana 5th wheel was over $700.  We changed our residency to WA because they have no state tax and registration is cheap.  However, we didn't look into it enough because the sales tax is quite high at 8.8 so we had to pay the extra sales tax on the 5th wheel and then again when we traded to motorhome.

What are you using for an address in WA? We had to change our domecile from there when we sold our home in Arlington.

I will have to disagree regarding Nevada having low registration fees. I lived there most of my life and when I retired we changed our residency to Was because it is so much cheaper to register auto a d RV.  We had a 2011 5th wheel and it was over $700 to register. On the other hand, registration is really cheap in WA but sales tax is crazy at 8.4%. That's a good chunk of change when you are buying a car or RV. Just food for thought

Back
Top Bottom