EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Title/Registration info for your state  (Read 7760 times)

EMan508

• ---
  • 2003 Winnie Adventurer 35U, Honda CRV,
    • My Travel Journal
Title/Registration info for your state
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »
I've been doing research on picking my domicile state. South Dakota sounds good with a 3% one time excise tax and easy full-timing requirements for the license etc.

I was wondering if people from various states would be willing to share what their expenses are for titling/registration for an RV? A while back I read a posting that made me think SD was a lot lower in costs.  The SD gov just sent me this for a 22,000lb, 2004 RV:

"At this time, the annual license fee would be $300 ($25 per month). Effective July 1, 2013, the fee will raise to $330 annually.

South Dakota licenses on a staggered registration system, so depending on when you are registering, your fees could vary from 3-18 months (license for no less than 3 months nor more than 18 months). Staggered registration is based on the first letter of the applicant’s last name.

Other fees include: annual $1 solid waste and annual $1 highway patrol fee; $5 title fee and $5 lien notation fee, if applicable; some counties assess an annual county wheel tax (usually $4/wheel); and a 3% motor vehicle excise tax, unless you have previously paid a similar and equal amount of tax to another state."

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Title/Registration info for your state
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »
I've been doing research on picking my domicile state. South Dakota sounds good with a 3% one time excise tax and easy full-timing requirements for the license etc.

I was wondering if people from various states would be willing to share what their expenses are for titling/registration for an RV? A while back I read a posting that made me think SD was a lot lower in costs.  The SD gov just sent me this for a 22,000lb, 2004 RV:

"At this time, the annual license fee would be $300 ($25 per month). Effective July 1, 2013, the fee will raise to $330 annually.

South Dakota licenses on a staggered registration system, so depending on when you are registering, your fees could vary from 3-18 months (license for no less than 3 months nor more than 18 months). Staggered registration is based on the first letter of the applicant’s last name.

Other fees include: annual $1 solid waste and annual $1 highway patrol fee; $5 title fee and $5 lien notation fee, if applicable; some counties assess an annual county wheel tax (usually $4/wheel); and a 3% motor vehicle excise tax, unless you have previously paid a similar and equal amount of tax to another state."

Sounds about right, our 2001 is heavier but the fees are $240 because it is over 10 years old.

If you already own the RV and paid a sales/use tax when you bought it they will credit any tax you have paid when you register in SD.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:26:44 AM by Jeff »

yolo

• ---
  • You Only Live Once
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
I pay $118 per year for the tag and registration for my 2004 coach.  The sales tax to buy it was 6%.  No income tax.

State Florida
Bill Bell -- SW Florida
Sailboat -> Powerboat -> Motorhome -> Rest Home -> Funeral Home
Presently between Motorhome and Rest Home

AndyinLexington

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »
I'm paying about $300 for year tax/registration.  No other annual fees.
Andy Holmes
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34F
2005 Chev Malibu Toad
N1CPS
Lexington, Kentucky

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:49:33 PM »
Florida has higher sales tax (6%) but low annual registration fees.  As I recall my 40 ft, 34,000 lb coach is only about $70/year.

SD sounds pretty good for your needs.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

EMan508

• ---
    • My Travel Journal
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Is FL a difficult state to use for a domicile state? If I buy my RV at LD it might be easier to make FL my domicile state and not need to trek all the way to SD to convert my license and titles. Not crazy about 6% tax but I'll spend more than that in fuel getting to SD.

Once you drive out of your domicile state, do any other states have the right to stop you because the inspection sticker has expired (assuming your domicile state does inspections)? I know Texas wants you to get inspected upon returning to the state, if it is due.

-Eric

odie1234

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
Is FL a difficult state to use for a domicile state? If I buy my RV at LD it might be easier to make FL my domicile state and not need to trek all the way to SD to convert my license and titles. Not crazy about 6% tax but I'll spend more than that in fuel getting to SD.

Once you drive out of your domicile state, do any other states have the right to stop you because the inspection sticker has expired (assuming your domicile state does inspections)? I know Texas wants you to get inspected upon returning to the state, if it is due.

-Eric

Florida is easy to use as a domicile state. This web site will give information on driver's licenses and registration http://www.dmvflorida.org/moving-to-florida.shtml . Registration renewal is really inexpensive compared to other states. No state income tax and no vehicle inspection so no worry about inspection dates. A regular driver's license is all that is required to drive a motorhome. Voting (absentee or in person) is easy and, at least in the county where our winter home is, the courts are understanding when jury duty interferes with summer travel. The downsides, that I know of, are that vehicle insurance is expensive (hurricanes and no fault medical) although no deductible windshield replacement is mandatory by law, and, I have been told that medical insurance is expensive (not personal knowledge).

phredsee

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:56:17 AM »
You may want to bypass California as I just received my annual registration renewal on the coach for a whopping $729.00! State sales tax to purchase for LA County is 9.75% and will probably grow from there.

In comparison, see what Bago paid and what I paid, same coach!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:58:11 AM by phredsee »
2008 Itasca Meridian
2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

maverickbbd

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 06:13:21 AM »
We are working our way to SD residency.  I have just learned from someone who is further along that you cannot get Aetna health insurance in SD as they are not licensed in that state.  I will have to do further research as that is who has my retirement health insurance.  You may also want to verify you health insurance.

EMan508

• ---
    • My Travel Journal
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
Anyone from Texas willing to share some rate info? The Escapees group is in Livingston TX.  If someone uses their mail forwarding service do you have to make Livingston the domicile address or can you use one of the western towns for a better healthcare discount? 

I see a lot of people picking TX, FL and SD as the domicile state. Sure are a lot of + / -  for each state.  The major medical rates for SD were reasonable IMO.

-Eric

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »
If you use the Escapees mail service, your address will be on Rainbow Drive in Livingston, TX, 77399.  Registration on our motorhome went up a bit this year to $221.50, paid online.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »
As Ned noted, registration is in the $200 range for TX (Ours is abut $170). The main issue would probably be sales tax at about 6.25%.
No state income tax, and special licensing requirements for over 26,000 gross weight.
Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »
Without knowing your travel plans I'm not sure this makes any difference but you can register your vehicles 90 days before the owner has to appear in SD to get a drivers license.

EMan508

• ---
    • My Travel Journal
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 02:47:36 PM »
Is it possible to get license plates without going to SD first? That would really help. 

In Massachusetts you have to visit the RMV with proof of insurance in hand to get a plate. That's when they shake you down for the taxes also 6.25%.

-Eric

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 02:55:12 PM »
Any Escapees member can use the Escapees mail forwarding without making TX their domicile state.  We used it for several years when we first started taking longer trips of several months, but our domicile state was still California.  You can opt to make TX as your domicile because the Escapees addresss in Livingston is convenient.

As you're learning, there's a whole lot more to choosing a domicile state than just vehicle registration fees.  There's the issue of whether investments are taxed, whether your health care provider does business in the state, whether your vehicle insurance is higher or lower, and many of things you have to think about.  If I recall, one disadvantage of SD is that you might be "required" to return to SD for jury duty.  Perhaps someone who has chosen SD as their domicile state can comment on that.

By the way, Nevada has no state income tax which is good, but their vehicle registration fees and insurance are comparable to California's.  It's doubtful that any state will fulfill all your preferred low cost needs, so you just have to weigh all the options and choose the one that's the least objectionable!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »
Is it possible to get license plates without going to SD first? That would really help. 

In Massachusetts you have to visit the RMV with proof of insurance in hand to get a plate. That's when they shake you down for the taxes also 6.25%.

-Eric

Yes, you can get the plates 90 days before you arrive. Our mail forwarder Alternative Resources will act as your agent and I assume the other larger mail services in SD provide the service as well.

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
   If I recall, one disadvantage of SD is that you might be "required" to return to SD for jury duty.  Perhaps someone who has chosen SD as their domicile state can comment on that.

ArdraF

Ardra

If you get a notice all you have to do is write "Fulltiming Rver" on it & send it back in...You will be excused.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 05:20:28 PM »
Thanks, Terry.  That's REALLY nice!  Didn't it used to be the other way?  Regardless, it's terrific not to be forced into returning.

Nevada now says that if you're over 70, serving on jury duty is optional.  The resident may or may not as they choose.

Also in Nevada, once you turn 70 you are required to go to a DMV office to renew your driver's license.  Before age 70, it can be renewed by mail for a specified number of times like twice or thrice.

ArdraF
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:22:21 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF
:D :D

swampthing

• ---
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 10:09:06 PM »
Colorado...

2016 30fwres Winnebago
4.5% sales tax

just got hit for 1006.00 for initial registration fees...sales tax paid at time of purchase....but add on ownership tax at time of registration...thought ok, once that is paid then next year must be a great deal cheaper...yes, by 2%...so only 800ish next year...at least that is something to look forward to!

Anyone ever setup a GOFUNDME site for rv registration?!

YIKES! Colorado not recommended!
2016 Winny 30FWRES

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
As Ned noted, registration is in the $200 range for TX (Ours is abut $170). The main issue would probably be sales tax at about 6.25%.
No state income tax, and special licensing requirements for over 26,000 gross weight.
Ernie
What about annual vehicle inspections and inspection fees in Texas ?

cpaulsen

• ---
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 07:41:12 AM »
Right around 140.00 for 2 years in Oregon and no inspections
2008 Ford F250/CC/SB/V-10/Montana 3670RL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »
I just paid $60 to renew our motorhome tags in Florida. No annual inspection either, and no personal property tax on vehicles (or anything else).

A vehicle newly brought into the state is usually subject to a one time "initial registration fee" and possibly sales tax (if not already paid elsewhere).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
Right around 140.00 for 2 years in Oregon and no inspections

We had to take it into the DMV for VIN check and length measurement and had to pay for 2 years.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »
Ardra

If you get a notice all you have to do is write "Fulltiming Rver" on it & send it back in...You will be excused.

That is true. They also took my wife off the rolls at the same time when I returned the notice to the clerk.
Also if you have to return to the state for drivers license renewal they will give your spouse an extension so you can both get renewed at the same time.. They told us up to a year, but we only needed three months.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »
Some of those registration fees make NY State look positively cheap! Any passenger (including motorhomes) vehicle that weighs more than 6900 lbs pays a flat $70/yr in 2-year increments. There are a few counties that add on a small use tax and/or mass transit district fee, but that adds no more than $20-$45/yr. The NY sales tax is higher though, at about 8%. The one-time titling fee is $50.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2016, 11:02:33 PM »
Dutch

Does NY have personal income tax?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:04:32 PM by Jeff »

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 08:52:20 PM »
Dutch

Does NY have personal income tax?

Yes, but no personal property or wheel taxes. Our income is configured such that we rarely pay any state or federal income tax anyway. Certainly NY does have other taxes and issues that keep it from being a recommended domicile for most fulltimers, but it has worked for us so far.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

JoeFatz

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 10:59:45 AM »
SC;
Title - $15.00 (or $35.00 if you want it printed on the spot)
Registration- $24.00 every other year plus $1.00 for the sticker
NO INSPECTION
Annual Highway use tax based on their valuation, makes no sense and hard to figure out and depends on the county you register in, I'd guess on an 03 winnie the tax would be $200/$300 a year, they will make adjustments for high mileage, condition etc and I have yet to have them want and proof of any of the discounts requested.
7% sales tax upon initial registration, they do deduct the value of your trade from the taxes being paid and $300.00 in the maximum or they will waive the tax if it was a gift from say husband to wife, relative, good friend etc.
Overall not to bad unless your in a high end Prevost or something like that.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:01:44 AM by JoeFatz »
Retired at a young age, but that doesn't mean I forgot anything

mileena

• ---
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 03:46:39 AM »

The sales/excise tax is now 4%, unless you paid tax in your previous state, no matter if the percentage was higher or lower. The only five states which do not have state sales tax are MT, AK, OR, DE, and NH. However, NH, OR, and MT have local taxes imposed by some municipalities. If your car is from one of these five states, you will have to pay the SD sales tax, however unfair that is (why should you be penalized if your state was tax free??).

Wheel taxes, if the county has them, are $2, $2.50, $3, or $4 per wheel. These funds are used to maintain county roads.

There  is also a $5 mailing fee for plates and a $1 mailing fee for registration stickers (without plates) or for temp plates which they issue first before the state can send you special or disabled plates. Regular plates are sent by the county, but special or disabled plates are sent by the state. Note: you technically have to be a resident to get disabled plates or placards unless a county does not know better.

The 3-18 month staggering occurs only during your first year of registration and is for YOUR CONVENIENCE. So, for example, if you register your new car two months before your designated registration date (based on your last name), rather than make you come in again in two months, they will do just a 14-month registration for that year. Thereafter, it will be the normal 12-month registration.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 03:51:47 AM by mileena »

mileena

• ---
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 03:54:55 AM »

-Eric

Yes, you can do an out-of-state registration in SD by mail, for just an additional $5 mailing fee for the plates. It is all on their website:

http://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/Non_Resident_Information/

Hosted by Over The Network