Driver Side Mirror fell apart, ideas how to fix-it-yourself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steward98

Hello,
We have a 2004 Winnebago Winnie Minnie 29b that sits on a Ford chassis that we picked up last August (2011). The weather has been so nice here in Michigan, we decided to take the cover off and found the driver side mirror hanging down at the joint, it looks like it just fell apart! I don't see any broken parts that I notice but it seems it is missing something. Has anyone experienced this or can provide a link for a diagram?
Also, the Onan generator isn't starting. The starter clicks and almost starts but it won't start. I took the access cover off and primed it but no dice. I also squirted some starting fluid in the carburetor but no dice. The starting and house battery are charged but it doesn't work. Any ideas?
Thanks to all for their comments and help, we are anxious to get back out on the road!

steward98 said:
Also, the Onan generator isn't starting. The starter clicks and almost starts but it won't start. I took the access cover off and primed it but no dice. I also squirted some starting fluid in the carburetor but no dice. The starting and house battery are charged but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Does it turn over and sound like it's running, but dies as soon as you let off the start switch?

Water Dog said:
Does it turn over and sound like it's running, but dies as soon as you let off the start switch?

No, the starter just clicks, which would make me think that it isn't getting enough juice or the cables aren't tight but everything seems to be right. Toward the end of the cycle, it seems that it tries to turn over but doesn't. I'm a newbie with motorhomes so I don't claim to have much knowledge and I really appreciate any and all ideas, thanks again!

If the mh has been sitting for awhile without a charge to the house batteries, they are probably weak. Try holding in the Aux start switch while trying to start the generator. That should tie the engine battery to the house batteries and give you some extra boost. Or plug in shore power to charge your house batteries. Be sure and check the water level in your batteries.

John Canfield said:
Can you post a picture of the mirror and the area where it should attach on the body?

Thanks John, This is three pics of the mirror and workings, thanks again!
I recieved an error that the file was too large so I'll add the other pics to an additional post.

Attachments

• wmwMirror.jpg
    wmwMirror.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 65
steward98 said:
Thanks John, This is three pics of the mirror and workings, thanks again!
I recieved an error that the file was too large so I'll add the other pics to an additional post.

Here is the other two pictures, thanks!

Attachments

• wmwMirror2.jpg
    wmwMirror2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 58
  • wmwMirror3.jpg
    wmwMirror3.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 53
Water Dog said:
If the mh has been sitting for awhile without a charge to the house batteries, they are probably weak. Try holding in the Aux start switch while trying to start the generator. That should tie the engine battery to the house batteries and give you some extra boost. Or plug in shore power to charge your house batteries. Be sure and check the water level in your batteries.

Thanks Dennis, I'll try the aux start switch tomorrow when I go back out there and let you know.

It appears that pix #3 might be the most important but it is very out of focus.  Can you try again?  Not sure if we can help on the basis of the pix, so don't want to get your hopes up.

Where you at in Michigan?

I bought a complete Velvac mirror for my brother. He gutted it for the power mechanism. If he didn't throw the rest away, there might be some parts you could use if something is broken. I'm in Southeast Michigan.

If it comes to buying parts, you might catch some on ebay cheap, or next best is Ryder Fleet parts, they are considerably cheaper than going right to Velvac.

John Canfield said:
It appears that pix #3 might be the most important but it is very out of focus.  Can you try again?  Not sure if we can help on the basis of the pix, so don't want to get your hopes up.

Hello John and community, Well, I took the mirror arm off and found the culprit. The small flange on the pivot stud broke. Now to find the piece without replacing the whole mirror. It appears that it is a Velvac mirror with a 16" arm. If anyone has an extra part they would like to sell, or know where to find this, please let me know. Thanks again!

Attachments

• rvmirrorstud.jpg
    rvmirrorstud.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 24
  • rvmirrorstud2.jpg
    rvmirrorstud2.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 23
ennored said:
Where you at in Michigan?

I bought a complete Velvac mirror for my brother. He gutted it for the power mechanism. If he didn't throw the rest away, there might be some parts you could use if something is broken. I'm in Southeast Michigan.

If it comes to buying parts, you might catch some on ebay cheap, or next best is Ryder Fleet parts, they are considerably cheaper than going right to Velvac.

Hello, I'm near Flint, MI. I took the mirror arm off and found the culprit. The small flange on the pivot stud broke. Now to find the piece without replacing the whole mirror. It appears that it is a Velvac mirror with a 16" arm. If you have the stud part, please let me know.

Attachments

• rvmirrorstud.jpg
    rvmirrorstud.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 8
  • rvmirrorstud2.jpg
    rvmirrorstud2.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 6
Give Velvac a call - maybe they will take care of you.  I met one of their people at the 2008 GNR - nice lady.  I've been extremely pleased with our Velvacs and haven't heard of a problem like yours.

John Canfield said:
Give Velvac a call - maybe they will take care of you.  I met one of their people at the 2008 GNR - nice lady.  I've been extremely pleased with our Velvacs and haven't heard of a problem like yours.

Thanks John, I think the mh sat for awhile and maybe with the sudden usage, the flange end broke. I'll give them a call.

My brother is pretty sure he saved the arm after he canibalized the power mirror parts. I'm  headed over there (2 miles away) Saturday for my niece and nephews birthdays. We'll take a look at what he has and your pictures... 

John Canfield said:

I contacted Velvac and found that they want to sell the entire mirror, part number 715435 for $407 and would take 1-4 weeks to build. I checked with General RV in Birch Run MI and they would have to order the mirror from Velvac but assured that the price would be cheaper. Ryder Fleet would also have to order the mirror. Never thought it would be this hard to locate. I looked on Ebay but no exact part numbers for that mirror. Is there any RV swap meets or other means available that is used rather than buying new? Camping World doesn't carry the mirror either. Thanks!

Adding to Richard's suggestion, click the Resources button above and scroll down to RV parts and salvage.

John Canfield said:

Hello John, through a little research this is what I found happened.  I have spent some hours inquiring about this problem and found that
the large retainer that compresses the coil spring to hold tension on the mirror arm had cut through the aluminum "pivot stud" in the mount. I inspected the other side and saw a similar issue progressing. There is a lubricated thrust surface with detents at the top of the preload spring that is supposed to prevent the retainer from turning but it doesn't stop it resulting in the retainer cutting into the pivot stud and the arm breaking off. At least on one occassion, Velvac has admitted knowing about the problem and has offerred to sell the two mirrors at cost. Now to see if they will do the same thing for me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom