EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Alaska Decision  (Read 7599 times)

Retired CSIGuy

• ---
  • '07 HD2500 Silv Durmax-40' Fuzion FWTH-Yam RSV
Alaska Decision
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:31:07 AM »
Considering taking my 40' FWTH to Alaska about June thru maybe late Aug for a visit to my daughter in Anchorage, and of course see the country also.  I've heard the highway is very hard on rigs...is that the straight scoop?  Also....what about the 40' length....any trouble with finding places to stay with big rigs?  All comments good or bad appreciated....of course al lot of my decision will be base on diesel prices. ???
Confidence is the feeling have before you realize what you've gotten yourself into

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Alaska Decision
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:53:15 AM »
Many of us here have toured Alaska in large RVs and survived nicely. The roads can be rough in places and you will want to keep your speed down, since even the good roads are likely to have damaged areas which can appear with little warning.  Construction is also likely to be encountered in the short summer season. Anchorage has RV parks with plenty of space for big rigs and you should be able to manage along the way as well.

Do you plan to head more-or-less straight to Anchorage, or to tour around a bit on the way?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:18:44 AM »
We will be leaving for Alaska (which is in the USA btw... ;D ;D ) in May with a 35' motorhome towing a small car.  Several folks on here have gone and their trip logs can be found in the library by clicking the "library" button above on the tool bar.  There is a wealth of information in those trip logs.  We are also planning on getting the 2012 Milepost which gives tons of information.

One of our concerns about Alaska this year is the abundance of snow they got; not sure if that will effect rivers and roads so we will be watching the weather and road conditions.

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Derby6

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »
....of course al lot of my decision will be base on diesel prices. ???
In that case, I'm a thinking your trip may be cancelled before its really scheduled.  Diesel is $4.20ish here now and I don't see that decreasing anytime soon.  Canada prices are worse than ours.
Like Gary said--some construction, and frost heaves, but many have done it and managed well.  40' may be tight in some places and I wouldn't want to take that to some local places (i.e. Russian River campground), but to travel up in--you'll be OK.

One of our concerns about Alaska this year is the abundance of snow they got; not sure if that will effect rivers and roads so we will be watching the weather and road conditions.
Concur--Get a MILEPOST ;)
  Rivers will be high, no doubt and roads are already getting rough, espicially the rural roads, but I don't see the snowfall effecting you much. 8)
3 more inches and we set the record... ;D
2015 Ford Explorer (Wifes Ride)
2011 Ford F350 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab/Long Bed/SRW
2011 Honda Civic-- (Beater with a heater)
2007 28' Desert FOX Toy Hauler             
TOYS:
01 Yamaha Kodiak 400
09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
12 Yamaha Grizzly 450
13 Yamaha Rhino 700 (Wifes Ride)
13 & 14  144" & 155" SKI DOO

Don Jensen

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:34:42 PM »
We made the trip last year in a 40' and towing a Grand Cherokee with a freezer mounted on the back.  Total length 65'.  No problems.  An enjoyable 4 month journey.  Went up the ALCAN and came back on the Cassier Hwy.  Even did the "top of the world" circuit (nasty).  Average price of diesel including Canadian prices was 4.45 per gallon.

Don
Retired.  Twice!
I do nothing and I do it really well.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:05:19 PM »
I am heading out of So Cal on June 1st and heading for the border, at a leasuriely pace however.  Plan on spending  about 3 months getting there, touring and getting back. The DW is making the route up now.  I can't wait!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Retired CSIGuy

• ---
  • '07 HD2500 Silv Durmax-40' Fuzion FWTH-Yam RSV
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
The "DW?"
Confidence is the feeling have before you realize what you've gotten yourself into

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:50:54 AM »
Stop in for a coffee on your way by.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Pawtna

• ---
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 11:30:37 AM »
Were heading up from Illinois May 23. Meeting with friends in Great falls Montana. Will spend 3 months in Alaska. Went up in 2010. Had a great time. Have a 42 ft. fiver and pull with a Class B totor. had no problem with roads. Just drive slow. Been saving all winter for fuel, hope we have enough, expect to see diesel around 5.00 per gallon. If you see us stop by. Newmar x air toy hauler.

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:19:57 PM »
Retired CIS guy,

DW refers to "Dear Wife", or "Darling Wife"....that sorta stuff  ;)

Marsha~

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »
Derby 6,

We paid $4.49 per gallon for diesel just the other day.  They tell us it should be going back down...... ::)

Marsha~

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 12:27:54 AM »
Shoot, I have been paying that in Ca for the last 3 months........
Marty--

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
We make a rough budget when we plan a long extensive trip.  For Alaska we've planned on $7-$8.00 per gallon in the remote places of Alaska; and $5.00 as our average.  I hope we don't hit the high mark , but maybe we will.

Marsha~

Derby6

• ---
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
Derby 6,

We paid $4.49 per gallon for diesel just the other day.  They tell us it should be going back down...... ::)

Marsha~

10-4, that's about where we are now--Haven't heard about that going back down piece, but hope your right! ;D
TOYS:
01 Yamaha Kodiak 400
09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
12 Yamaha Grizzly 450

Don Jensen

• ---
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 08:20:58 AM »
We make a rough budget when we plan a long extensive trip.  For Alaska we've planned on $7-$8.00 per gallon in the remote places of Alaska; and $5.00 as our average.  I hope we don't hit the high mark , but maybe we will.

Marsha~

The cost of fuel in Alaska is not so bad.  It's the problem of getting through Canada.  We paid as much as $6.05 per gallon last summer in Canada.
Retired.  Twice!

Derby6

• ---
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »
The cost of fuel in Alaska is not so bad.  It's the problem of getting through Canada.  We paid as much as $6.05 per gallon last summer in Canada.

Agree that Canada is worse...BUT...Alaska is # 2 for the highest only beat by Hawaii (quick gas buddy.com), so I absolutely disagree with "fuel in Alaska is not so bad"... :o
Doubt most come to visit Anchorage where I am near and probably the lowest prices in the state.  Folks wann go to the fun remote places where fuel is pricy.... ;)
TOYS:
01 Yamaha Kodiak 400
09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
12 Yamaha Grizzly 450

mnmnutswer

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 08:06:49 PM »
Canada is not a US gal
Terry & Kathy Weller
Direct Sales Jewelry
It goes where you are.

Don Jensen

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »
Canada is not a US gal
It's easy to convert to US gallons for an apples to apples comparison.
Retired.  Twice!

Don Jensen

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:40 AM »
I absolutely disagree with "fuel in Alaska is not so bad"... :o
Doubt most come to visit Anchorage where I am near and probably the lowest prices in the state.  Folks wann go to the fun remote places where fuel is pricy.... ;)

IMHO, if you have to worry about the price of fuel, owning a RV doesn't make sense.
Retired.  Twice!

Karsty

• ---
  • Niagara Falls, Ontario CANADA
    • PBASE PHOTO GALLERYS
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »

Now that scares the heck out of me and I live in Canada. Can't speak for parts out west or north but diesel in the Golden Horseshoe (around Toronto to Niagara area) has run anywhere between $4.50 - $4.90 a US gallon. It seems to be going down but that can change at the whim of the oils speculators.

I go over to Niagara Falls, NY generally and diesel was running from $4.49 - $4.19. Again ... it seems to be going down as well.

$6.05 a gallon?? Where the heck was that??

BTW ... one US gallon is equal to 3.785 litres. I have noticed that some US items are now being posted in the metric system. The one sign advertises gas in Niagara Falls, NY by the litre and the other ... if I can get it posted ... advertises a new size soft drink in a Walmart in PA.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:29:11 PM by Karsty »
2012 Winnebago ERA.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »
Yeah, they have been using the metric system to package up soft drinks here for quite some time. Not so much with fuel though. Maybe in locations near the border areas, but elsewhere not so much. I am still trying to wrap my mind around the whole kilometer per hour speed thing when I cross into Canada...........
Marty--

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
Just remember that 100 on your Yankee speedometer is not the same as 100 on our road signs. ;D  Diesel is around $1.43/L here which works out to $5.53/U.S. gallon, the regional district just slapped another tax on it. The province will be hitting us with I believe a 2 cent carbon tax on July 1. Not trying to scare anyone off but be aware.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 12:12:48 PM »
Marty,

We had that problem too the first time we crossed into Canada.  I had a "cheat sheet" with english to metric conversions handy.  We just bought a new GPS and I can switch it between english and metric.  My biggest problem is pounds to grams when I buy lunch meat in the deli department.

The first thing we did was calculate the metric to english for low bridges.....that was a must.  We are going into British Columbia on Tuesday.

Marsha~

mariekie4

• ---
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
Marsha,

It is funny, after living for more than 28 years in the States I am STILL trying to get used to this system. The metric system is so easy and try doing fractions in lbs. and oz. compared to metric. No intention to stir up a hornets nest here!

Marie
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.       George S. Patton.

2007 Winnebago Journey 35'
2011 Jeep Liberty

Jeannine

• ---
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 07:30:27 PM »
  My biggest problem is pounds to grams when I buy lunch meat in the deli department.
Marsha~

Half a kilo is about 1 pound.  That works for me. 

We crossed the Canadian border at Sumas yesterday afternoon.  Weather wasn't good for paragliding, so we are now in Prince George, heading for Dawson Creek.  We've traveled a lot in BC, so won't be doing much sightseeing until we get further north.l

Jeannine
2009 HitchHiker 37CKRD
2014 RAM 3500

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 12:00:23 AM »
Thanks Marsha, I too will have a cheat sheet handy for most of the conversions. Jeannie, we will be crossing at Sumas in about 3 weeks or so. Be right behind you.....
Marty--

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »
We'll be crossing into Canada at Sumas also.  Maybe I should make a sign on the US side that says:  "RV Forum members cross here"..... ::)

Marsha~

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 12:20:37 AM »
Half a kilo is about 1 pound.  That works for me.

454 grams to a pound, 25.4 mm to an inch etc.  Google is your friend unless you majored in Chemistry 60 years ago.  Somethings you never forget even if you wished you could!   ;)
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 12:40:50 AM »
We'll be crossing into Canada at Sumas also.  Maybe I should make a sign on the US side that says:  "RV Forum members cross here"..... ::)

Marsha~

Hehehehehehe............
Marty--

Pawtna

• ---
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 12:15:46 PM »
we are on way to Alaska. stop at fort nelson. diesel is $1.44 litre. Roads have been good so far. Looking for all of you going up. Driving frieghtliner truck with a 40 ft. newmar toy hauler. This is our 2 time up with this rig and trailer. Been raining here since yesterday. :)

Hosted by Over The Network