Alaska Decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired CSIGuy

Considering taking my 40' FWTH to Alaska about June thru maybe late Aug for a visit to my daughter in Anchorage, and of course see the country also.  I've heard the highway is very hard on rigs...is that the straight scoop?  Also....what about the 40' length....any trouble with finding places to stay with big rigs?  All comments good or bad appreciated....of course al lot of my decision will be base on diesel prices. ???

Many of us here have toured Alaska in large RVs and survived nicely. The roads can be rough in places and you will want to keep your speed down, since even the good roads are likely to have damaged areas which can appear with little warning.  Construction is also likely to be encountered in the short summer season. Anchorage has RV parks with plenty of space for big rigs and you should be able to manage along the way as well.

Do you plan to head more-or-less straight to Anchorage, or to tour around a bit on the way?

We will be leaving for Alaska (which is in the USA btw... ;D ;D ) in May with a 35' motorhome towing a small car.  Several folks on here have gone and their trip logs can be found in the library by clicking the "library" button above on the tool bar.  There is a wealth of information in those trip logs.  We are also planning on getting the 2012 Milepost which gives tons of information.

One of our concerns about Alaska this year is the abundance of snow they got; not sure if that will effect rivers and roads so we will be watching the weather and road conditions.

Marsha~

Retired CSIGuy said:
....of course al lot of my decision will be base on diesel prices. ???
In that case, I'm a thinking your trip may be cancelled before its really scheduled.  Diesel is $4.20ish here now and I don't see that decreasing anytime soon.  Canada prices are worse than ours.
Like Gary said--some construction, and frost heaves, but many have done it and managed well.  40' may be tight in some places and I wouldn't want to take that to some local places (i.e. Russian River campground), but to travel up in--you'll be OK.

Marsha/CA said:
One of our concerns about Alaska this year is the abundance of snow they got; not sure if that will effect rivers and roads so we will be watching the weather and road conditions.
Concur--Get a MILEPOST ;)
  Rivers will be high, no doubt and roads are already getting rough, espicially the rural roads, but I don't see the snowfall effecting you much. 8)
3 more inches and we set the record... ;D

We made the trip last year in a 40' and towing a Grand Cherokee with a freezer mounted on the back.  Total length 65'.  No problems.  An enjoyable 4 month journey.  Went up the ALCAN and came back on the Cassier Hwy.  Even did the "top of the world" circuit (nasty).  Average price of diesel including Canadian prices was 4.45 per gallon.

Don

I am heading out of So Cal on June 1st and heading for the border, at a leasuriely pace however.  Plan on spending  about 3 months getting there, touring and getting back. The DW is making the route up now.  I can't wait!

Were heading up from Illinois May 23. Meeting with friends in Great falls Montana. Will spend 3 months in Alaska. Went up in 2010. Had a great time. Have a 42 ft. fiver and pull with a Class B totor. had no problem with roads. Just drive slow. Been saving all winter for fuel, hope we have enough, expect to see diesel around 5.00 per gallon. If you see us stop by. Newmar x air toy hauler.

We make a rough budget when we plan a long extensive trip.  For Alaska we've planned on $7-$8.00 per gallon in the remote places of Alaska; and $5.00 as our average.  I hope we don't hit the high mark , but maybe we will.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Derby 6,

We paid $4.49 per gallon for diesel just the other day.  They tell us it should be going back down...... ::)

Marsha~

10-4, that's about where we are now--Haven't heard about that going back down piece, but hope your right! ;D

Marsha/CA said:
We make a rough budget when we plan a long extensive trip.  For Alaska we've planned on $7-$8.00 per gallon in the remote places of Alaska; and $5.00 as our average.  I hope we don't hit the high mark , but maybe we will.

Marsha~

The cost of fuel in Alaska is not so bad.  It's the problem of getting through Canada.  We paid as much as $6.05 per gallon last summer in Canada.

Don Jensen said:
The cost of fuel in Alaska is not so bad.  It's the problem of getting through Canada.  We paid as much as $6.05 per gallon last summer in Canada.

Agree that Canada is worse...BUT...Alaska is # 2 for the highest only beat by Hawaii (quick gas buddy.com), so I absolutely disagree with "fuel in Alaska is not so bad"... :eek:
Doubt most come to visit Anchorage where I am near and probably the lowest prices in the state.  Folks wann go to the fun remote places where fuel is pricy.... ;)

Derby6 said:
I absolutely disagree with "fuel in Alaska is not so bad"... :eek:
Doubt most come to visit Anchorage where I am near and probably the lowest prices in the state.  Folks wann go to the fun remote places where fuel is pricy.... ;)

IMHO, if you have to worry about the price of fuel, owning a RV doesn't make sense.

Don Jensen said:

Now that scares the heck out of me and I live in Canada. Can't speak for parts out west or north but diesel in the Golden Horseshoe (around Toronto to Niagara area) has run anywhere between $4.50 - $4.90 a US gallon. It seems to be going down but that can change at the whim of the oils speculators.

I go over to Niagara Falls, NY generally and diesel was running from $4.49 - $4.19. Again ... it seems to be going down as well.

$6.05 a gallon?? Where the heck was that??

BTW ... one US gallon is equal to 3.785 litres. I have noticed that some US items are now being posted in the metric system. The one sign advertises gas in Niagara Falls, NY by the litre and the other ... if I can get it posted ... advertises a new size soft drink in a Walmart in PA.

Attachments

• IMG_0418a.jpg
    IMG_0418a.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0298a.jpg
    IMG_0298a.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members