Need advice on lubing the wheel bearings on my TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2011 wildcat

Just bought my TT last march and I want to lube the wheel bearings. The dealer told me to be careful to not use too much or it will effect my brakes. My main question is....what is too much? My pop-up was easy because it had not brakes. I just pulled out the rubber plug and filled it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your TT hubs have Zerk fittings, that may be what the dealer was talking about.  You can force grease past the inside seal if you overfill it, allowing grease to sling out on the brake surfaces.

Use a manual  grease gun only.  You need to put enough new grease to force the old grease  out thorugh the outside bearing.  At least that is what I understand from my manual .

As eliallen says, "You need to put enough new grease to force the old grease out through the outside bearing".
I put bearing buddy's on my TT.  Turned out to be mistake. As your sitting at a red light with your brakes on your brakes are getting hotter and hotter.  This caused mine to thin out and then leak out from the bearing and on the wheel and on fender etc as you travel. What a mess to clean off.  If you are still unsure how much is enough take it somewhere and tell them you want to watch in case you ever need repair on the road broke down somewhere.
You tube has a few vid's about it.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=grease+bearings&oq=grease+bearings&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=4291l9288l0l12575l15l15l0l1l1l0l81l939l14l14l0

That's a good link, but he failed to mention "Do not mix grease of different base  type"  Link on grease...http://www.mindconnection.com/library/handyman/greasecompat.htm

path said:
As eliallen says, "You need to put enough new grease to force the old grease out through the outside bearing".
I put bearing buddy's on my TT.  Turned out to be mistake. As your sitting at a red light with your brakes on your brakes are getting hotter and hotter.  This caused mine to thin out and then leak out from the bearing and on the wheel and on fender etc as you travel. What a mess to clean off.  If you are still unsure how much is enough take it somewhere and tell them you want to watch in case you ever need repair on the road broke down somewhere.
You tube has a few vid's about it.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=grease+bearings&oq=grease+bearings&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=4291l9288l0l12575l15l15l0l1l1l0l81l939l14l14l0

Your brakes should not get hot sitting at a red light because nothing should be moving at that point so there is no friction.  Your brakes could get hot from a lot of braking down a big incline or your hubs themselves could get hot if the bearings are worn or dry, particularly at high speeds.  Both of these could cause the hub to heat up and the grease to thin out and have an easier time making its way past the rear seal.  This is why it is important to keep the seals in good shape and to use high temperature bearing grease.

After the bearings are removed and thoroughly cleaned, on should inspect them for wear and make sure they rotate freely.  You should also clean and inspect the bearing races which is what the bearings ride up against on the inside of the hub. If these are scored or pitted, they should be replaced and if they are worn, your bearings are likely to be in line for replacing as well.  If you run your fingernail along the bearing surface of the race and it catches, you should replace the race and bearing.  The rear seal should be flexible and absent of cracks or it should be replaced as well.  A bad seal will leak and grease can contaminate the brake shoes and impact braking power. 

When repacking bearings, spray down the inside of the drum along the inside circumference and also the flat part of the drum to wash off any grease or grime that can affect the brakes or the electromagnet that engages the brakes.

If everything is in good order, you are supposed to be able to flood the inside of the hub with grease on the EZ-Lube bearings.  The grease flows through the spindle to the inside bearing and the rear seal keeps it from going out the back into the brake mechanism.  The grease flows forward to the outside bearing and out around the castle nut.  This means the entire hub is filled with grease and if everything is sealed up good, you should be able to force out the old grease without removing the hub.  Use a good quality waterproof grease that will hold up to both heat and moisture.

However, I wouldn't do this too many times before removing the hub so you can inspect the condition of the seal.  If the seal is not doing its job, you will spray grease all over the brake system which would be a bad thing.

It is a good idea to take a look at your wheels and hubs at every stop to make sure they are not heating up.  If they are, you need to attend to those bearings before you do some damage.

If you do need to replace the bearings and races, you can buy a bearing kit that contains both bearings, both races and a new seal for around $12.  Just make sure to save the old races to use to drive in the new ones.  One good tip is to cut a slit in the race (a radial cut all the way through, about 1/8 inch wide) so the old race comes out easy after driving in the new one.

IrishBrewer said:
If everything is in good order, you are supposed to be able to flood the inside of the hub with grease on the EZ-Lube bearings. 
That the way it should work, But I don't think my boat trailer will work that way. Check the picture. You think I should see what Cabela's has to say about this.

Attachments

• 100_1380 (640x480).jpg
    100_1380 (640x480).jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 50
eliallen said:
That the way it should work, But I don't think my boat trailer will work that way. Check the picture. You think I should see what Cabela's has to say about this.

Yep, something is wrong there.  It looks like someone didn't have the tang style washers and decided to drill a hole through the spindle at the castle nut to use a cotter pin instead.  This would render the EZ-Lube spindle worthless for greasing the bearings.  Does the threaded portion of the spindle have a flat?  It should and that is where the tangs go on the special tang washers and you fold them up into the flat area when you need to spin the castle nut then once you have it cinched down, you back it out about an eighth of a turn (or a bit less) and fold one of the tangs down into an opening in the castle nut and this serves the same purpose as a cotter pin in a standard spindle.  They have to use a tang washer because you can't have a transverse hole in the spindle or the grease through the spindle design won't work as is the problem in your case - i.e., "you can't have your cotter and EZ-Lube"

If you got your boat trailer new from Cabelas, I would definitely send them your picture and ask what is up.    The only way it seems that they could work would be if you remove the cotter pin, back out the nut to cover the holes and then pump in the grease and then retighten the nut and reinstall the pin.  A few more steps than the other style of thru spindle lubrication hubs but it keeps you from having to totally dissasemble the hub to grease the bearings.

IrishBrewer said:
  The only way it seems that they could work would be if you remove the cotter pin, back out the nut to cover the holes and then pump in the grease and then retighten the nut and reinstall the pin.  A few more steps than the other style of thru spindle lubrication hubs but it keeps you from having to totally dissasemble the hub to grease the bearings.
Tried that, didn't work. I sent Picture this morning.

IrishBrewer said:
Yep, something is wrong there.  It looks like someone didn't have the tang style washers and decided to drill a hole through the spindle at the castle nut to use a cotter pin instead.  This would render the EZ-Lube spindle worthless for greasing the bearings.  Does the threaded portion of the spindle have a flat?  It should and that is where the tangs go on the special tang washers and you fold them up into the flat area when you need to spin the castle nut then once you have it cinched down, you back it out about an eighth of a turn (or a bit less) and fold one of the tangs down into an opening in the castle nut and this serves the same purpose as a cotter pin in a standard spindle.  They have to use a tang washer because you can't have a transverse hole in the spindle or the grease through the spindle design won't work as is the problem in your case - i.e., "you can't have your cotter and EZ-Lube"

If you got your boat trailer new from Cabelas, I would definitely send them your picture and ask what is up.    The only way it seems that they could work would be if you remove the cotter pin, back out the nut to cover the holes and then pump in the grease and then retighten the nut and reinstall the pin.  A few more steps than the other style of thru spindle lubrication hubs but it keeps you from having to totally dissasemble the hub to grease the bearings.

Correct.  A hole across the spindle for the cotter pin is going to allow the grease to come out before ever getting to the bearings.  The grease will take the path of least resistance as you are pumping grease. 

There should be a flat washer with tangs to that need to be bent up against the nut.  This is the nut locking system on the EZ lube axles. 

Usually two to three pumps is about all that is needed if you keep up on them.  I recommend raising the tire/wheel off the ground and spinning the assembly while pumping the grease in slowly.  Even at that I still recommend disassembling, cleaning and repacking the bearings with new seals approx. every 4 years or 20k miles when at that time a visual inspection of the bearings, races and brakes can be performed.  Many people think because they have the EZ lube or install the Hub Buddies that they only have to pump grease in which is incorrect.

Mike.

eliallen,

If I were you and you want the spindle to function like it should, I would do someting to plug the transverse hole without plugging the through spindle hole for greasing.  This could be in the form of a tapered metal pin of the proper length (if you have a bench grinder you could make one) or you could plug it with a little wood dowel to protect the grease hole followed by some JB weld.  Just make sure to clean the hole with some brake cleaner and a pipe cleaner so the JB weld will stick and clean off the outside threads real well so they are not mucked up by the JB weld.  You could probably come up with other suitable ways to plug the transverse hole that would work just as well.

If you don't want to go that route, perhaps some teflon tape on the threads prior to using the nut to cover the hole would be enough to keep the grease from exiting through the hole.

That's about all that comes to mind right now.  Good luck. 

Also, if you contact Cabelas, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

No response yet. However, I got the owners manual back out and finished reading . The last sentence ..."3. It is important to use a pin the same size as the hole to make your Sure Lube system work properly."  And guess what. It works.

Great.

I was envisioning the grease hole being about the same size as the cotter pin hole so I was afraid that it would block the grease from passing through the spindle but it must be a larger diameter such that it can still pass through with the correct size cotter pin installed in the transverse hole.

Stinking manuals.  You're not supposed to have to read them, right?

Geesh.  I just got a flood titled TT and it came with no manuals whatsoever.  I found the main user manual on Starcraft's website but I still need to get the manuals for all of the appliances (water heater, furnace, fridge, stove, microwave, slide out...).  There's probably a manual for my EZ Lubes too but I think I can get by without it.  You should have seen the watery gunk that squirted out of my spindles when I first shot some grease through them.  Had to totally rebuild the bearings/races on two of the four wheels.

Back
Top Bottom