Towing Jeep 4x4 on a tow dolly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaness

I have a 2006 Georgie Boy Landau that we absolutely love.  We've been thinking about towing a dingy when we go, and one of the things that's been on my radar is the vehicle.  I had a 2006 Jeep Liberty rear wheel drive and had considered various options for towing it. 

A couple of week ago, I traded the old Liberty in for a new Jeep Liberty - this time it's a 4x4 ... command trac, so it's a part time 4wd.  So the option of towing 4 wheels down is now available.  However, my wife wants a tow dolly in case we take her car - which is a front wheel drive. 

So my question is, can I use a tow dolly for the Jeep Liberty?  While it might sound like a stupid question, it really isn't.  The manual says that I can tow it 4 wheels down .. but there are all kinds of warning about towing it with only the rear wheels down.  I'm not sure if it needs both axles to turn when the transfer case is in neutral.  I'm also uncertain if the tow straps on the front wheels would be sufficient since, to put it in 4 wheel free wheel mode, I can't put the vehicle into park .. i.e. the front wheels would be free to move even when on the dolly. 

Bottom line .... I can see the value of a tow dolly for use with multiple vehicles, but I'm not sure if a tow dolly would be a great option for the Jeep 4x4. 

Anyone have an opinion?

If it was me, I'd get equipped to tow the vehicle I plan to bring the most often, and just leave the other one home.  Unless you can figure out if you can tow the Libby 2 up.

I'm not sure about the Jeep on a dolly, but you could call Remco and I bet they could answer your question.  As far as the steering wheel lock goes, I tow a Toyota Prius on a dolly and I use bungie cords to lock the steering wheel to the brake pedal to keep the front wheels from turning on the dolly.  Works on the Prius, don't know if that would work on the Jeep.

Dan

You cannot tow both cars at the same time so just tow the Jeep 4WD. Then, if you ever want to take the other car buy a tow dolly and leave the Jeep at home or wherever.

JerryF

I'm at work, so it's kinda hard to concentrate on giving a clear thought.  I wasn't trying to tow two cars at the same time.  I'm trying to decide whether to use a tow dolly or 4 wheel down for my Jeep Liberty 4x4.  The rational for a tow dolly is that I'll have the option of taking my wife's vehicle front wheel drive instead of the Jeep should the occasion arise. 

However, after doing some research, it appears that the Jeep cannot be towed with just the two rear wheels rolling - even tho the transfer case is placed in neutral.  So with a Jeep 4x4 (at least the Liberty version) I only have the option of all 4 wheels down, 4 wheels up, or a tow dolly if I disconnect the driveshaft. 

Jerry's point is since the Jeep can be towed 4 down, why even consider putting it on a dolly or trailer.  If you really need to take the other car, they use a dolly for it, but that doesn't mean you have to use it for the Jeep.  You can only tow one at a time.

I think the OP point is he only wants to purchase one set up. either the baseplate for the Jeep OR a tow dolly so he can take either/ different cars. And as mentioned it is not possible to do both. seeing as the 4x4 can not be towed on the dolly.

What car does the wife have? Have you checked to see if it can be towed four down?

Front wheel drive doesn't automatically make it non towable four down.

I believe it is being suggested here without coming right out and saying it but most of us who have tried both believe you will be far happier towing four wheels down for the convienence as well as not having to deal with finding a place to put a dolly while traveling.

Jeff, you're so correct.  Where to put the dolly in the campground can be a real problem.

JerryF

We tow our Jeep CJ7 4 down, and have a dolly for our Nissan Murano.  Storage for the
dolly at campground is typically no problem.  I disconnect it and roll it in under our Winnie
as far as it will go.  While setting it looks like  a tag axle behind the RV.  I have not had a
campground complain, and it's out of the way.  Dolly hooks up easy and the Murano loads
right up.  Either way very convenient as far as I am concerned.

Thanks to everyone that's replied.  It's giving me a lot to think about. 

I guess the main issue is that I don't have unlimited funds.  A dolly cost is pretty low and easier to get going as compared to 4 wheels down.  By the time you figure the cost of base plates, tow bar, wiring harness, labor, aux braking, etc, etc, etc, it gets to be pretty substantial.  And for the most part, that's to get only one vehicle ready to tow.  A tow dolly, while more cumbersome, handles any/all vehicles that I can put on it. 

I agree that towing 4 wheels down is the best, but it's not necessarily the best option.  Unfortunately, I'll have to choose between vehicles .. or resign myself to removing the drive shaft on the Jeep each time if I decide on the tow dolly for the Jeep. 

mmaness said:
Unfortunately, I'll have to choose between vehicles .. or resign myself to removing the drive shaft on the Jeep each time if I decide on the tow dolly for the Jeep. 

I don't know how your jeep is but on some 4 wheel drive vehicles, all you have to do is put the transfer case in Neutral.  I will be towing a 62 International Scout 4 down to a Scout Rendezvous tomorrow.  All I have to do is put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in high gear.

People are confusing the issue here.  He is not wanting to tow 4 down. He wants to tow two up and two down which jeep specifically says not to do in all of their manuals.  I don't know why but suspect that in may cause failuer of the front transfer case bearings.

Each to his own, but I would never tow any automatic vehicle 4 wheels down unless I owned my own transmission shop.  If the jeep is a standard  shift then go 4 down if you want to.  However if it is an automatic then get a trailer or tow dolly the other car.  A good friend towed his jeep four down and at 60K miles he already having tranny problems.  I tow my Pt Cruiser and my Honda element on a dolly with no problems.  Both cars have extensive write ups in owners manual for 4 down towing and all I could see were 30 gabillion pieces of transmission all over the road.

BLAKDUKE said:
Each to his own, but I would never tow any automatic vehicle 4 wheels down unless I owned my own transmission shop.  If the jeep is a standard  shift then go 4 down if you want to.  However if it is an automatic then get a trailer or tow dolly the other car.  A good friend towed his jeep four down and at 60K miles he already having tranny problems.  I tow my Pt Cruiser and my Honda element on a dolly with no problems.  Both cars have extensive write ups in owners manual for 4 down towing and all I could see were 30 gabillion pieces of transmission all over the road.

Totally irevelant with a Jeep. A 4x4 Jeep when the transfer case in in netural and the transmission in park or any gear in a manual it does not turn any part of the transmission. 

I have towed my Jeep Wrangler at least 50,000 miles. 4 down.

X2 I've got over 30,000 miles towing an automatic Jeep w/o problems. I'd guess, the problem would arise if the transmission were not in Park.
Ernie

We towed a 1997 Honda Accord with automatic transmission for 75,000 miles over nearly 8 years with no transmission problems.  We now tow a GMC Canyon with automatic, 4WD, again with no transmission problems.  Most towed vehicles have automatic transmission, I would say, so no reason to avoid them.

X3, we have over 60,000 miles towing our 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Put it in Park and Transfer in Neutral per the book and away we go.  We have a total of over 125,000 total miles on it plus the 60K+ towing.  No problems.

Back
Top Bottom