Quebec City to Goose Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnandcarol

Been thinking about a far out trip away from everything in July or August. Anybody ever RV,d to Labrador. How much gravel roads? Are the wilderness vistas and sites worth the mud or dust?

Your question piqued my curiosity and I looked at a map. Until now I did not realize Goose Bay could be reached by road. ;D

I have driven about 25 miles of the road coming out of Goose while waiting for some aircraft parts to arrive. Dusty, rough gravel 20 years ago.

John&Carol,

Skip it.  A much better trip is to go to Gaspe Peninsula and on into New Brunswick.  Then visit the various maritime provinces.  From there go on the 8 hour Sidney, NS ferry to Newfoundland.  When on the West coast of Newfoundland you can take a 2 hour ferry to Labrador (with or without your MH).  From the ferry dock it's only 50 miles to Red Bay (on paved roads).  The pavement ends at Red Bay.  We stayed in Labrador in a motel and visited Red Bay and that 50 mile coast using our tow car.  By the way your MH is stored in a locked-up yard.  We did all this and it was great.

Now, my first two words were "Skip It" and here is why.  In Red Bay we met some folks that drove from Quebec and up through Labrador to Goose Bay.  They said the roads were so bad they put their MHs on a ferry to get to the Red Bay area wishing all the time that they had not driven up from Quebec.  In other words they did not want to go back to Quebec on those roads.  I cannot remember what but hey did break a few things on their MHs along the way.

There is so much to do, just in Newfoundland, that you'll go back again.  We have been in the Maritimes and Newfoundland twice and Labrador once.  It's one of the best MH adventures we eve did.  The place is great and the people are better than great!

To do it right you'll need 3 or, better yet, 4 months.  Our first trip was to short and that's why we went back a second time for another 2-1/2 months.  Would we go again, you betcha.

JerryF

There is so much to do, just in Newfoundland, that you'll go back again.  We have been in the Maritimes and Newfoundland twice and Labrador once.  It's one of the best MH adventures we eve did.  The place is great and the people are better than great!

I second that!

Van.

Been thinking about a far out trip away from everything in July or August. Anybody ever RV,d to Labrador. How much gravel roads? Are the wilderness vistas and sites worth the mud or dust?

It certainly would be "far out" and "away from everything"!  There is absolutely nothing out there according to what I've heard.  We talked with someone else who drove out of Red Bay in the other direction for about 20 miles and turned around.  Just for the heck of it we took the car out about two miles and said we were glad we weren't planning to go on that road.  It's all gravel, dirt, mud, and dust.

And, by the way, Labrador is infamous for it's awful biting black flies.  They're pretty small but they sure do a lot of damage!  The voice of experience is telling you that you don't want to get bitten by them!  My face and neck (the only parts not covered) were covered with huge red and extremely itchy welts that lasted forever and nothing kept them from itching.  Those bites are the kind of thing I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy and I got them all in less than a half hour.  Even if you just go across to Red Bay from Newfoundland, be sure to take bug hats, wear long pants with long sleeved shirts, cover yourself with bug repellant, and go prepared with something like Benedryl and anti-itch salves.

ArdraF

;D ;D Welcome to Canada in early summer. Those flies are miserable little wretches, the further north you go the worse they get. A short season with long hours of daylight brings out the worst in them.

I can only tell you anecdotally, but from what I understand, the road is only used as a last resort, and is virtually 100% not paved.  I can't even say gravelled, as lots of it is just a path across the bed rock.  Most people ship their vehicles via the train from Sept Isles (Seven Islands).

Ed

Back
Top Bottom