Visitor from Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevxxxx

Hi Jan,  My wife and I are planning to buy a RV in the USA in July2012
we are from Western Australia.  I heard that you have just bought one.
Can you please let me know what the biggest problems are?
I still cannot get my head around how I can get insurance/registration if I am not resident in a state.

Dear kevxxx  not to disrupt this Walmark topic, i will sent you PM with my mobile number. you can call me to talk about it.
Cheers Jan

Thank you scottydl.
I will continue here.

Firstly my English is not the best and writing is bit of problem for me. Sorry for the gramar.

I always loved to spent my holidays in motorhomes. Doing this since my kids was little. 24 years ago.
Started by hiring and when I started to be more wealthy (LOL), I purchased my first RV (second hand) in Europe.
I travel all Europe for 10 years up to last year and sold my old RV there. I aded more money and paid deposit for new Thor ACE 29.2  29 foot A class.

What I did so far.
I read in this forum all relevant to RV purchase in forum visitors to USA.
Since RV in US are much bigger heavier and better than what you can buy in Australia, I realised that lot of research have to be done.
I started to look at internet websites selling second hand and new RV and checking prices.
This give me idea how much I want to spent. After months of looking, I decided to purchased new RV instead second hand one for this reasons.
Firstly prices in US are about half of the cost than in Australia, maybe less.
Secondly, if you buy new rv, you don't have to be to much worry that vehicle is in bad condition and have to much damages or not clean. Some times previous owners could be smokers and this don't help, or RV was used excesively. There was also cases when RV have low milege, but people was living in it all year around. This could be sorted by inspection, but that is hard to do from Australia, and internet pictures don't show it so well.

When I decided on new RV, I have to make decision which one. I new that my RV will be used for traveling all around USA and Canada and Mexico. This means lot of miles. i needed different thing than people who travel for family vacation to designated place and stay there for week or two.

I wanted something not to big, but comfortable enough to give me and my wife home for 3 months each year. Also something easy to drive and park. Something I can drive in to city if needed. Also enough water to have proper shower and low fuel consumption as possible.
Low consumption was bit of problem to find, Amerikans love they big engines. Totally different than Europe.

I decided on ACE for all this reasons.

In this forum I asked questions about Taxes and registration and insurance.
I find that best for me would be to register my RV in Oregon or Montana where are no extra taxes. Since I am so far from US. I find on internet firm in montana and they lodged for me application for LLC. They specialize on this type of RV registrations under montana LLC. All setup including RV registration cost me approximately US$1300
Then I started to shop for my RV. Members on this forum was extremely helpfull specially Kamper Dave Garry RV Roamer Jim Dick and many others who replied to me by pm.
I just typed model of RV I wanted to buy in to Google and looked up for all the dealers who are offering this model. There was so many.
First mistake was that I was looking only close to Los Angeles, thinking that if I am flying there from Australia, I save to my self interstate flight.
But very soon I find out that prices from RV dealers for exactly same thing can be $10 000 different. Interstate flights in US are cheap so don't worry about place of purchase. I find good dealer 40 km from Chicago. Name Campingworld E-mail for this place is [email protected]
Lazy Days have also good prices, but I was given much better deal from Campingworld for Thor ACE.

I aproached the dealer and asked question if this RV can be driven on normal car licence and if they will sell outside of state under Montana LLC ( they all do)
I sent dealer my LLC details and deposit US$6000

I approached 2 us insurances and asked for quotation and explained to them that I will be driving under Australian licence. Bought of them did not mind and they also offered quotation for only 3 months use per year.

Now I am waiting for May to fly in and take this RV from dealer.

T

If you have any more questions, Please ask.

Glad you are getting things put together.  As far as insurance is concerned, you DO NOT want to leave this unit parked someplace without insurance coverage.  This is way too much money to loose if something happens when it is parked.  Leave the insurance coverage on it year around.  Once you get here you might consider a small car to tow behind the motor home so you have a means of transportation.  Maybe a small Chinese motor scooter would work for you.

thanks Tom
I was thinking inside storage. Some places are offering this. But obviously damage can happen there also by other people who store in same hall.
Regarding means of transformation, how would segway stand in US?

Thank's Jan for your post, it did help me.  I have found a number of websites that answer my questions.
only a few weeks ago I didn't know anything about buying in the USA.  I think by the time I get to the USA in July I hope to be an expert?
just joking.

you are right Kev. You will slowly gain all the informations and get more familiar with what you doing.
I know exactly how you feel.
I am picking my RV in May and if there will be anything else to ad about my dealing and experiences, You will find all info in this topic. I will continue here with my progress.
Good luck mate and don't be stranger. Post me message when you will be on the road.

Hi everyone,

This site really helped me to gain a lot of information, very grateful for all the comments from others too!
We have successfully found an RV near Anaheim and the seller has taken care of all the Rego, taxes etc. He recommended an Insurance company, Ive called them and it's sorted, quite well priced and you can cancel for a refund pro rata-ed at the end of your trip. Our motorhome is being stored by the dealer for 12 wks before we arrive (in 4 wks now). Got good references from other Aussies who'd bought from him.
We were planning to buy on arrival but that would be a nightmare dragging 2 small kids around. So glad it's sorted out.

I also have some questions!

Planning on doing a trip Route 66 and then down into Mex.

Would it be better to rent an RV or purchase and resell? Also will I be able to use my Aussie licence when in the states?

lukesims said:
I also have some questions!

Planning on doing a trip Route 66 and then down into Mex.

Would it be better to rent an RV or purchase and resell? Also will I be able to use my Aussie licence when in the states?

All depends how many miles you planning to drive and how many months you planning to use RV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom