RV business idea-Need honest opinions and input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc55

Hi All
I am working on a business idea that caters to Rv's and Motorhomes, and would like all the input and opinions that I can get.
I currently have a mobile rustproofing business that caters to mobile fleet service. The product that I use is a non- toxic, non- hazardous, solvent free, eco-friendly product. The product is lanolin based. It stops rust on contact, displaces moisture and creates an impregnable moisture seal. It also lubricates and waterproofs, and will not harm paint, plastics or synthetic rubber.
I have created an "RV Mouse Guard" formula that in addition to the above, repels mice, squirrels, ants, and other pests from entering the unit.
Using a relatively quiet airless sprayer, I spray the entire bottom, including frame, axles, suspension, etc. with the above mix. Not only does it protect against rust, it also displaces the dampness and moisture, which will help protect against mold and mildew. The Mouse Guard protects in two ways..The smell of peppermint oil and the texture of the spray itself.
My plan is to offer the above, applied on site, or any other location, for $0.85 per square foot. What do you think? a saleable service? I have applied it to our motorhome and it seems to have eliminated some previous pest problems.
Looking forward to some opinions.
Jim

I am not really worried about rust but critter proofing would be great.  I would spend the $310 for my motorhome if you could guarantee it to work.

How thick is this stuff and how often will it need to be reapplied?  Will it also have some sound deadening effects?

mercoupe50 said:
I am not really worried about rust but critter proofing would be great.  I would spend the $310 for my motorhome if you could guarantee it to work.

The guarantee would be difficult because of all the variables, ie. doors left open or through a screen etc. The oil of peppermint smell definitely deters...mice apparently find it difficult to breathe as it tends to burn their lungs. Also the consistency of the coating is about the same as butterscotch pudding, and ants and mice etc. prefer not to cross it.

Gotago2 said:
How thick is this stuff and how often will it need to be reapplied?  Will it also have some sound deadening effects?
It is very similar to butterscotch pudding, both in color and consistency. Annual application would probably be most effective. I don't think it would have a whole lot of sound deadening effect.

jc55 said:
Also the consistency of the coating is about the same as butterscotch pudding, and ants and mice etc. prefer not to cross it.

Does the "butterscotch pudding" consistency remain over time? If so, this stuff would be something to get into every time you did anything under your coach. For me that would not be good.

R

RLSharp said:
Does the "butterscotch pudding" consistency remain over time? If so, this stuff would be something to get into every time you did anything under your coach. For me that would not be good.

R
Yes, unfortunately Richard, it never dries, which is good for the rustproofing and moisture sealing end of things, but it could be a little messy depending what your working on.

Based on what I read here my answer is YUK. Plus I don;t really see how you are going to be able to crawl around under a MH on site and spray the stuff.  I would mine up on  a lift IF I had it done.

Campgrounds may not allow you to spray the rust proofing because they fear contamination to the ground.

JerryF

jc55 said:
Yes, unfortunately Richard, it never dries, which is good for the rustproofing and moisture sealing end of things, but it could be a little messy depending what your working on.
...but I should clarify that the butterscotch pudding consistency is before it is sprayed. Looking in the can.. it looks like butterscotch pudding. Once it is sprayed it leaves an almost transparent (light amber color) film about the thickness of a coat of paint.

But does it dry hard or stay soft?  If the latter I can see it attracting a lot of dirt to the underbody and then trying to clean it off would be difficult.

ArdraF

JC...

The questions/comments posted here were some of the first that came to my mind too. I think all RV'rs have or will experience rust problems to one degree or another, and as everyone knows, if it's not caught in time, rust-related repairs can get expensive.

Personally, if I were evaluating whether or not to purchase a product/service like you're describing, I'd like to see some actual examples of what it looks like when and after its applied, and how effective it is over time (and, of course, how much does it cost). Perhaps a YouTube video showing the answers to those questions would be a good investment - linked to, of course, from a professional website. My 2 cents.

Kev

Maybe it's just me, but I think that if I had to repair something underneath the MH I would rather deal with a little rust than a layer of crud infested butterscotch pudding.

BTW - I've never heard anyone complaining about excessive rust being a problem on the average motor home.  Have I been missing something?

I don't think I would want some one spraying anything like that around me while I am camping.  I don't see how you could do a good job with out lifting the motor home.

JerArdra said:
Campgrounds may not allow you to spray the rust proofing because they fear contamination to the ground.

JerryF
I've talked to a few local campground owners, and no objections so far. The product is 100% solvent free and non toxic. Also the airless spray system doesn't create much in the way of overspray.

ArdraF said:
But does it dry hard or stay soft?  If the latter I can see it attracting a lot of dirt to the underbody and then trying to clean it off would be difficult.

ArdraF
Stays wet, almost liquid...very similar to "Fluid Film". Stays wet and active but not tacky.

Kevin Means said:
JC...

The questions/comments posted here were some of the first that came to my mind too. I think all RV'rs have or will experience rust problems to one degree or another, and as everyone knows, if it's not caught in time, rust-related repairs can get expensive.

Personally, if I were evaluating whether or not to purchase a product/service like you're describing, I'd like to see some actual examples of what it looks like when and after its applied, and how effective it is over time (and, of course, how much does it cost). Perhaps a YouTube video showing the answers to those questions would be a good investment - linked to, of course, from a professional website. My 2 cents.

Kev
Good idea Kev, I could make up a sample panel to show the actual product applied. And the website and you tube ideas are something I will look into in the future.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom