Wal-Mart SuperCenter Sleepers club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLAKDUKE

I have had a thought for some time.  Before we got our RV we would see RV's in WalMart parking lots and never gave a thought of it.
Then on one trip up north(NY) we were going to leave on a Friday morning but instead left Thursday evening.  We managed to get about 5 1/2 hours up the road and decided we were to tired to go further, so we found a WalMart Supercenter and pulled in.  We got a good nights sleep and coffee in the morning.  We left and finished our trip the next day.  Since then we have done this almost every long trip we have taken.  As such I was wondering if anybody else thought it might be fun to subscribe and list oneself on a site that was for only people who had stayed in a WalMart parking lot over night.  No rules or proof needed, just their word.  Maybe after a while the list could be sent to WalMart and maybe they would feel better about allowing RV's staying over night.  I think there should be allowances for multiple stays or maybe just by name so as to indentify how many times a person has stayed.

Food for thought.................
ALK

To give you some idea of the scope of Walmart RV overnighting, the WalmartRVing Yahoo Group has over 7600 members currently. The group also maintains a frequently updated list of the locations that do and do not allow RV overnight parking.

Twice a year I take a "hike" of around 800 miles (At least for the next couple of years then I'll take longer hikes I hope) and being as the RV life is not about rushing to get there fast... We often spend a night in a WM or two on the way.  Also a Moose Lodge, and a Flying-J.

I now last spring I was headed north,  Stopped for the night in a "J".  Woke up and went on line to look for gas and found the lowest price in 3 states was about 50 yards from where I was parked (The very same "J")

Maybe after a while the list could be sent to WalMart and maybe they would feel better about allowing RV's staying over night.

Al, most of us have stayed overnight at Wal-Mart at least once and some of us many times.  I believe Wal-Mart is well aware that we RVers are a good source of customers for them - which is why they have a large section of RV-related goods.  The primary reason some Wal-Marts seem less friendly is not because of them but because of local ordinances.  When you see those no overnight parking signs it often is because residents don't want to see RVs "camped" in commercial parking lots.  Those RVers who just pull in and stay overnight aren't the problem.  It's those who literally start camping by putting out their awnings, BBQs, chairs, etc.  And, to make matters worse, they then stay a few nights.  Then the residents start complaining.  Then the nearby campground owners try to get ordinances passed so there is no overnight camping within the city limits except in recognized campgrounds.  Then there are the RVers who abuse the privilege by doing nasty things like dumping in a commercial parking lot (saw it happen with my own eyes in a grocery store parking lot) and litter the area instead of using trash containers.  They ruin it for all the rest of us.  So, as you can see, it goes round and round.  I suspect that if most Wal-Mart managers had their way, they'd welcome RVers with open arms because they see us buy their groceries and clothing and whatnot.  But once RVers become a municipal issue, they lose any control they might have had and anti-RVing laws get passed.

ArdraF

Yeah I can see where that would be a problem.  I have not seen it here locally(as far as the inconsiderate ones), but I have seen the Wal-mart stores that put up the 9 foot overhead barriers to keep us out.  If that is their attitude fine, I'll go elsewhere.  Not a big problem just thought the idea of an informal loose organization(I.E. WMSCS - Wal-mart SuperCenter Sleepers) might be kind of interesting.  As far as the Yahoo group they only accept people that have Yahoo and I don't need another id and password to keep track of, I have enough as it is.  I know, it's free.  I had a Yahoo account once, I rarely used it then it expired, so I'm not to go thru all that again.

ALK

Some of the Wal Marts tha ti have stayed at have the No Overnight Parking signs put up Only for the Commercial Trucks - Was told by one of the store managers that they are fine with the RV's but don't want the Trucks w/trailers sitting there because of the Weight of the Truck/Trailers.

So even if you see the No Overnight, it never hurts to ask the Mgr.

And yes there are some that wont let you cause of City Rules.

On our way across northern Ontario in May, we pulled into a Walmart and noticed signs posted, we thought, oh oh we'll move on, but much to our surprise, what it said was "RV's are welcome to stay one overnight".  So, you didn't even have to go in and ask.  Very few Walmarts in Canada are Super Walmarts, so it closed down at 9:30, and was as quiet as all get out.

Ed

We pulled into the WM in Oshkosh, WI last summer and the no parking signs were all over the lot. Went inside to ask management for alternatives and were told not to worry. The signs were to keep out the U of WI students who liked to use the lot as a dormitory. Spent a nice nite there without bother.

Another lot to look for is the Old Walmart Lots.

In many of the small town where Walmart has built a new Super Center - the Old one is just sitting empty.  A few times after my asking about staying in the New Stores lot, they have told me where the old store is - And you then have no time limit.

Spent almost 2 weeks in one when i was doing some work there and there was no rv park near by.  Mc'ds was right next door with wifi - worked out well.

This past trip to Myrtle was the first time we didn't stop at the Emporia Walmart!  We found a Jellystone right up the street off 95, was only $39.00 so we stopped on both legs.  Had long enough spot that we did not need to unhook, worked out well.  With our TV and 5ver connected is like 55', it's either a Walmart or lucky spot for choice!  Will be making an Upstate New York trip at the end of the summer, definitely a PN Walmart in that trip!

I am employed at a walmart that has "no overnight stay" signs. Its the town that said no cause a member of the town council has interest in a campground. The local PD show up and told the managers that they needed to go out and tell all the RV'er to move on. well ofcourse they were not about to go out and tell everyone that they could not park in the parking lot. The store was still open.  that might be a little bad for bussiness. Well nothing was done, the officers didnt wanna go knocking on camper doors either. I have no problem with RV's staying a night in the lot. I think it is cool to see all the different RV's. I would much rather someone pull off the road for a few hours to rest than push it a few more and cause harm to others and them selves. I say treat it like the hikers guide. leave no trace, clean up after yourself. So to all that stop in, I say welcome. to all that shop, Thank you. I too am one that uses the walmart as a resting ground.

farmer dan said:
I am employed at a walmart that has "no overnight stay" signs. .............................................................................. Thank you. I too am one that uses the walmart as a resting ground.

Hopefully not at the same time! :-\

Gary,
Do you feel that the security Wal Mart provides off sets the peace and quiet at Sams. We have been awakened when the vacuum cleaner comes zipping by at 2:00 a.m. at the Wal Mart parking lot. We were also woke up by a drunk that decided he wanted to stay with us. So things do happen. We don't tell our children this however.
I have never noticed RV's at Sams, that sounds like a good option if security isn't a issue. You never know these days which is so sad.

We have used both and as Gary says Sam's is quieter. We have listened to sweepers a couple of times but usually sleep in peace unless a lot of truckers are idling engines.

We have never been bothered at night.

I have started noticing 18 wheelers parking there now. I don't remember that being the case a couple years ago. I wonder why they are starting to go to Wal Mart?

We frequently do Sam's in Farmington NM. It's usually quiet unless you get a truck arriving early and parking with the engine running while it waits for delivery hours. Only place we ran into the 2 a.m. parking lot sweeper was at a theater where we parked with their permission (we were doing a job there).

Wendy

No Monica, not at the same time. Only on our travels. I spend 9 hours a day there that's enough. Even the parkinglot would ne too much.

We do some Wal-Mart over night on most of our long trips. Besides Flying j there is the Kmarts they first started letting RVs overnight, just not as many of them around any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom