Updating the shower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shakenbake

I'm in the process of a complete remodel an my 95 Southwind Storm. I've been tossing around ideas on what to do with the shower without spending a bunch of money. Here is what I got done yesterday. The whole project will be under $60.

The new walls are a $20 piece of vinyl floor remnant. I used 3M Super 90 adhesive to attach the vinyl. For the base I decided to apply a liquid epoxy coating on the original shower base. I've had good luck with this in the past. It works well when the surface is prepped properly. Here is today's progress. First is the before picture.

Attachments

• smallshower.jpg
    smallshower.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 493
  • sh4.JPG
    sh4.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 457
  • sh5.JPG
    sh5.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 458
Nice job....! I like the idea of the vinyl. I'll file that away in the back corner of my mind for later use. Be sure and post a pic of the completed pan when you're done. Good work.

Got a little more done last night. Now I'm waiting on the new shower door and trim for the pan to show up so I can wrap this part of the project up and move on to the bathroom.

Attachments

• sh9.JPG
    sh9.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 353
  • sh10.JPG
    sh10.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 296
  • sh7.JPG
    sh7.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 293
  • sh6.JPG
    sh6.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 352
The corners are not finished yet. After I install the shower door all of the seams and corners will be sealed with an almond color bathroom silicone.

samhain said:
Great idea. Did you remove the original shower walls? Or just go over top?

In my case the shower walls were a piece of Luan with a waterproof film on top. The surface was in good shape so I just went over top of waht was there.

Finally finished it up last night. I think it turned out nice. We are headed to the Natural Bridge State Park in Kentucky this week so I'll get a chance to give it a try.

Attachments

• sh14.JPG
    sh14.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 236
  • sh13.JPG
    sh13.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 205
  • sh12.JPG
    sh12.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 223
  • sh11.JPG
    sh11.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 307
Went camping this week and got a chance to try out the new shower. Everything worked great. The vinyl seems to have the best of both worlds. A nice modern look and the flexibility for all of the shifting around an RV does.

That is an absolutely beautiful and professional job!

Better than the factory!

Rich "The Wanderman"

Ok, I'm just ruminating here (no old cow cracks, please). This isn't to say you didn't do a good job (which you did).

I'm wondering if vinyl floor seam sealer would work better for sealing the corners instead of caulking.

Or using a bit of heat from a heat gun or hair dryer to bend the vinyl around the corners so there won't be a seam at all. If backed up with cove molding, the corner bends coud have a gentle radius.

Back
Top Bottom