Questions: Used 2004 Starcraft 1701 for $2800?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amasake

Hello! I've posted before regarding my search for a pop-up trailer this Spring... I found a neat older one (15+ years but in great condition) on Craig's List that seemed good for us, just a little big so we figured we'd shop around and, well, someone else snapped it up. No big loss, as it was a little too heavy, a little too cumbersome for us first-timers.

I found a bunch of $4000-ish pop-ups at a dealer nearby, but again, those seemed kinda expensive for our purposes -- we're looking for an older, well-kept, bare-bones model that can be pulled with a regular car in case my '94 Jeep (that's turned over twice so far!) isn't up for the task.

Enter the Starcraft 1701 we found this weekend! Eight years old, very well cared-for -- those awnings looked pristine, and the interior beds/cushions looked almost brand new. Floors were good, curtains looked fine except for one place over the dinette window -- the tie-back looked a little stained or possibly mildewy, but the curtain itself seemed fine and of the same age/style as the other curtains so I figure it hasn't been replaced. 

It was raining when we were looking around this weekend -- every pop up that day seemed to have at least a slight smell inside except for this Starcraft 1701 which felt tight & cozy & dry as a bone.

Folded down, it's so cute -- just an 8' footprint. Seems perfect for us, it's just the price that concerns me.

They want $2800, yet when I search the model on NADA (including the few options we have like spare tire, furnace, etc) I'm finding average retail is $2300 so I'm thinking maybe I need to find some wiggle room? I already panicked and put $200 down on it so perhaps I've lost my chance to haggle?

Then again, this week they're running the pop-up thru a quality control inspection, and then on Saturday we're meeting to go thru set-up, fold-down, and how everything works, etc. I'm told if we have any issues at that point, they'll fix them or replace so that we're satisfied with our purchase. So I'd like to learn up on this Starcraft 1701 model and ask smart questions and anticipate common issues and perhaps score some upgrades considering retail value/purchase price...???

Anyone familiar with this Starcraft model of pop up? Any beefs or caveats? Anyone easy upgrades I might keep in mind in case we get to that point..?

And is it me,  or are little pop-ups that can be towed with regular cars hard to find in used condition?

Any thoughts, advice, input, opinions, etc. are most welcome! Thanks to this fabulous community for all the great info, it's an amazing resource!

Carolyn

Carolyn, I would not worry too much at this point. It sounds like you are getting a good deal from a reputable dealer. If you want some added assurance, take along the most savvy mechanically inclined person you know, and have them pick it apart.
If the size suits you, then 2800 for a well cared for and newer popup sounds OK to me,  especially considering you are getting some support from the dealer.

Thanks very much! I printed up Natasha's Checklist for purchasing used pop-ups, and plan is to go thru it one item at a time this weekend at the dealer's. He's probably gonna hate me, heheheeh!! But I think it's important to know what I'm getting.

Thanks again for your input, I very much appreciate it. Can't wait to post pics soon, have a great weekend!!

Carolyn

Our first camper was a 1976 Starcraft which we purchased in 1988.  It was great and drug the wheels off of it.  We lived in Scottsbluff, NE at the time and were in the Black Hills or the Rockies almost every weekend, except for winter. 

Thanks so much! I went for it last weekend -- it is SO CUTE!! Not much storage inside but it's a tight little camper, can't wait to scrub it down, find places for as much of our gear as possible and get it out into the woods asap!!

yup, you carry more stuff in the tow rig in those. We put big light things right on the floor and unload it when we get there. Lawn chairs, things like that.

Sweet! How do you put storage in a tow rig -- can you buy ones with storage? Also... I'm trying to figure out where to add a bike rack. Logically, I'd wanna attach bikes to the trailer but now I'm thinking it'd be better to mount to the car (a Toyota Camry) in case the bike trails or whatever I wanna ride on requires a drive from the campsite.

If anyone happens to have any bike rack recommendations... I'm all ears! Er, eyes (this is a text forum, after all, har har)

Thanks again, this forum is so helpful, what a wonderful online community!!!

Here is what I was going to do:
I am a welder so you'd have to find one, but I was going to weld a receiver hitch piece on the back of the trailer. Not a full trailer hitch but just enough to support a hitch type bike rack. Then get the bike rack and when you get there, take bikes off, move rack to car and go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom