'07 Sightseer outlet and slide out problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertsmau

I pulled the RV out from storage last week and something unusual happened.  I had it pluged in all winter, I unplugged the RV, started it, drove it 40 yars out of my garage, and when I went to plug it in it poped the GFCI on the house outlet I used.  I switched all the 110 breakers off and found that only the "recepticle #3" breaker caused the GFCI to trip.  I also found that the rear slide out isn't working and none of the outlets in the rear slide section but all of the 12V power is fine to that section.  Where do I begin to trouble shoot?  All the 12V breakers seem to be fine. 

What is on the #3 breaker?  If it's the inverter, that may be the cause of the GFCI tripping.  It's not uncommon for the ground and neutral to be bonded in the inverter, causing any a GFCI outlet to trip when plugging the shore power cable into it.

Then something on the #3 circuit has either been miswired (neutral and hot reversed) or has a leakage from hot or neutral to ground.

How does one go about trouble shooting to find such a fault?  I've got a meter, wet hands, bare feet and not much electrical knowledge

Disconnect everything from circuit #3, turn on the breaker and if it doesn't trip the GFCI, reconnect one item at a time until it does trip.

One thing to look for first is any GFCI outlet on that circuit.  Multiple GFCI outlets in series are not recommended.

Even with everything unplugged I'm still tripping the breaker.  It's the closet side that slides along with the bunk beds.  The main breaker panel is over by the fridge and not part of the slide.  Still stumped.

robertsmau, not sure of your exact sequence but here is something similar. I have a GFCI outlet that trips when I plug in the MH. I discovered it will trip just about every time I remove and reinstall the plug into the GFCI outlet. I also discovered as long as I leave the plug in the outlet, then reset the GFCI, it all works fine. Might give it a try if you haven't already.

It's not the GFCI in the RV that trips but the GFCI on the house that trips when I plug it in.

It's not the GFCI in the RV that trips but the GFCI on the house that trips when I plug it in.
It is my GFCI in the shop that trips also, not the one in the Rv. This GFCI circuit also trips when I plug in my pressure washer. Have to plug them in then reset the GFCI and everything is fine. I have already changed the GFCI and that did not change anything. For some reason the GFCI is a little sensitive.

You said your outlets in your slide were not working. Are those on the same circuit that trips the GFCI at your house when you plug in? Could be a fault in the junction boxes that tie the slide to the coach.

Back
Top Bottom