New floor for the old Bounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

I don't call this a remodel because it's only the first step, and a partial one, at that.  I have always cringed when I read that someone ripped out some device, appliance or fixture.  It sounds so crude, and is usually not an accurate description of one's actions, but that term literally applies to removing (ripping out) motor home carpet.

I just spent a good part of the last two weeks removing the old blue carpet and replacing it with Allure Traffic Master flooring in a tile pattern.  Here are a few before and after photos of the project.

Things I learned in the process:
  • 74 years of experience comes in handy
  • Don't wait 'till you're 74 to start a project requiring you to be on your knees.
  • When you think you've found all the staples from the old carpet, you'll find about 10 more.
I'm pleased with the outcome.

Attachments

• 100_1000 (Medium).JPG
    100_1000 (Medium).JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 745
  • 100_1055 (Medium).JPG
    100_1055 (Medium).JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 654
  • 100_1001 (Medium).JPG
    100_1001 (Medium).JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 641
  • 100_1051 (Medium).JPG
    100_1051 (Medium).JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 608
  • 100_1002 (Medium).JPG
    100_1002 (Medium).JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 596
  • 100_1036 (Medium).JPG
    100_1036 (Medium).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 612
  • 100_1003 (Medium).JPG
    100_1003 (Medium).JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 496
  • 100_1050 (Medium).JPG
    100_1050 (Medium).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 523
  • 100_1004 (Medium).JPG
    100_1004 (Medium).JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 513
  • 100_1049 (Medium).JPG
    100_1049 (Medium).JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 586
Looks great, I can't wait to get to the same point with my flooring project, done.

I know what you mean about the knees.

I like the flooring. Individual tiles or one big sheet? I'd like that pattern in the stick house. Where'd you get it?

Wendy

Wendy said:
I like the flooring. Individual tiles or one big sheet? I'd like that pattern in the stick house. Where'd you get it?
Wendy

Wendy, the Allure flooring comes in 1' by 3' panels (they call them planks) in either the tile or simulated wood patterns.  It was my idea to stagger the seams (each plank in a new row, offset by 1/2 tile) to minimize any variation (screw up) in my laying technique, simply to confuse the eye.  I like the way it turned out.

I wish I had done the old PERGO floor in my stick-&-brick kitchen in that fashion.  It would look better today.

I would think that laying the Allure in a home (rather than an RV) would be a snap.

Lou

Looks great, What a nite and day difference.  Great job Lou.  Yes'' I now what you mean about the staples and your knees.

Jim & Angie
95 Bounder 34J
93 Jeep Wrangler Toad

Nice work. Installing in a home is easier as you actually have lots of room to move around

I need to do this, or something like it. My carpet is looking ratty.  Probably will wait until next winter, but I like the look of this a lot.  Thank you for posting.

You are right about it being easy in the house, I put it in a small bathroom, 1 box, less than 2 hours, under 50 bucks and it looks a lot better than the builder sheet vinyl.

I really like that.  The carpet in ours is pretty nice but I like the vinyl because its so much easier to keep clean.  Something like that will happen in ours one day. You did a very very nice job on it.

jim and di said:
Great job, real difference. How does it hold up to sand?
Jim

I don't know yet, Jim.  I'll put a few coats of RMP-3 on it before I leave for the coast in mid May. 

You can help me track in a few buckets of sand when you get there. :)

Great job Lou!

In answer to the above; ours has held up very well against everything except dragging slides (requires a plastic pad between which we now use). This includes puppy claws, recliner feet, sand (two winters in FL) and shoes. Its similar to Lou's (light and "swirley") and still looks like new.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
Great job Lou!

In answer to the above; ours has held up very well against everything except dragging slides (requires a plastic pad between which we now use). This includes puppy claws, recliner feet, sand (two winters in FL) and shoes. Its similar to Lou's (light and "swirley") and still looks like new.

Ernie

Thanks for the report, Ernie.. That's encouraging news.

I used the same product, only I went with the wood pattern. Im a tile contractor by trade, so this was an easy job. Took about two days, including tear out. The old vinyl was a bear to get out, and there were many more staples than there should have been! I ran the flooring from the bedroom to about 4" from the doghouse. From there into the driving compartment, I used indoor/outdoor carpet. We really use our coach in less than ideal conditions, so easy cleanup is priority for us. This is the second rv that I have done this to, and it holds up well.

ranger magnum said:
I used the same product, only I went with the wood pattern. Im a tile contractor by trade, so this was an easy job. Took about two days, including tear out. The old vinyl was a bear to get out, and there were many more staples than there should have been! I ran the flooring from the bedroom to about 4" from the doghouse. From there into the driving compartment, I used indoor/outdoor carpet. We really use our coach in less than ideal conditions, so easy cleanup is priority for us. This is the second rv that I have done this to, and it holds up well.

As soon as I figure out how to remove/replace the carpet on the doghouse I'll do that also.  I stopped short of the seats and doghouse because I found metal on the floor very near there and didn't want to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom