New floor for the old Bounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ernie Ekberg said:
dog house carpet is glued

I understand that, Ernie.  What I need to know is how, and what to use, to soften or remove the glue.

I assume the process form there would be to use the removed carpet for a pattern and cut and install new.  I'm just not sure how to proceed.

Looks awesome!  Can't be that hard of a job since my MH is only 30' and not going to re-do the drivers area or bedroom. 

Just Lou said:
I don't know yet, Jim.  I'll put a few coats of RMP-3 on it before I leave for the coast in mid May. 

You can help me track in a few buckets of sand when you get there. :)

Woah who knew?! You can use RMP on the FLOORS! Cool. Hey Lou what a nice upgrade. did you uncover any soft spots in the plywood flooring?

anemic said:
Woah who knew?! You can use RMP on the FLOORS! Cool. Hey Lou what a nice upgrade. did you uncover any soft spots in the plywood flooring?

No soft spots, just some dis-colored areas that indicated some possible spills, or prior carpet cleaning residue, through the carpet.  The area under the carpet, that is under the slide when retracted, was painted with a sealer of some sort.  I assumed it was there in the event the slide drug in any moisture from the outside.

I was actually surprised to find the floor in such good condition although I've never seen any evidence of leaks anywhere in the coach.  I was just pleased to find plywood when so many folks uncover chipboard or particle board.

Attachments

• 100_1013 (Small).JPG
    100_1013 (Small).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 198
Lou just pull the carpet off gently, use it as a template to cut the new carpet. then use contact cement to put it back on. center it on the dog house
and gently work it out in all directions. works great.
Lorn

Lorn said:
Lou just pull the carpet off gently, use it as a template to cut the new carpet. then use contact cement to put it back on. center it on the dog house
and gently work it out in all directions. works great.
Lorn

Thanks, Lorn.  I think I'll practice with the best piece of carpet that I removed when I laid the vinyl floor.  I have heard that it is possible to dye the carpet if it is just dis-colored and not really worn.  I may get another few seasons out of it that way.

LOU>>> just finished 4 coats of rmp on the floors.....way cool ;D  now DW is going to do the house flooring....glad I bought 5 gals. We used it on the cabinets and trim areas too...carried away. I have to show you some pics.

catblaster said:
LOU>>> just finished 4 coats of rmp on the floors.....way cool ;D  now DW is going to do the house flooring....glad I bought 5 gals. We used it on the cabinets and trim areas too...carried away. I have to show you some pics.

I'm going to use some RMP-3 on my cabinet doors and paneled walls, as well.  I wonder what effect it will have on the vinyl (paper) covering on the particle board cabinets themselves?  :)  I don't think I can hurt that crap....

I do know that if any of the vinyl covering is coming loose, a coat of RMP-3 will stick it back on better than most glue.

Great job!!!

A few questions as I plan to do some of this in the next few days.  Lowes has a similar product now for .88 per sq ft. ;)

1. How did you get your cuts so precise to the walls etc.?
2. What is rmp?
3. Did you secure it to the floor at all?  (I know its a "Floating" floor)  I plan to but it up to the carpet in front of the slide and secure it along that line to avoid a transition that would require a splice.

2. rmp is Red Max Pro a floor wax carried by Lowes & others which has been used effectively for shining up RVs. Similar to Poliglo. RVers swear by it.

[quote author=BigDfromTN ]A few questions as I plan to do some of this in the next few days.  Lowes has a similar product now for .88 per sq ft. ;)
1. How did you get your cuts so precise to the walls etc.?
2. What is rmp?
3. Did you secure it to the floor at all?  (I know its a "Floating" floor)  I plan to but it up to the carpet in front of the slide and secure it along that line to avoid a transition that would require a splice.
[/quote]
  • I started on the slide side.  I actually slid the first row of tiles under the carpeted slide after assembly, until it hit a solid edge.  The end (beginning tile) of the first row was butted to the back wall.  I let the length of the first row dictate exactly where I cut the front carpet that I left in place.  After that, it was just careful measuring and even more careful cutting.  The Allure flooring can be scored with a sharp utility knife, snapped to break on that line, and laid into place. 
  • MP is Red Maxx Pro.  RMP is a floor finish product originally sold by Lowe's.  It is designed to give that high gloss "wet look" that you see on office and hospital floors.  RMP is NOT a wax.  It is an acrylic floor finish.
  • The only place the flooring is attached to the sub-floor is where the screws in the front and rear carpet strips went threw through it.
Edited - for correct word usage (prompted by my mentor, Carson...)

carson said:
  Phonics...I didn't know you were that young, Lou.  ;)

Carson, that happened because I'm getting old, NOT because I'm young.

I hear tell that BF means Best Friend in the cyber/texting world, but at my age, BF means Brain Fart.

Wendy said:
Looks good. Is that also Allure?

No,  it is an Armstong brand much like the Allure but "planks" are 6 inch by 36 inch.

Armstrong 6"W x 36"L Exquisite Urethane Oak Floating Vinyl Plank  From Lowes.

Goes down quick and relatively easy.  Score cut it with a utility knife, then bend to break and then cut backing.

If you need more info,  just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom