Low End Folding Campers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scalawag

My wife and I are thinking that for our first camper we should purchase a folding type. We were looking at the starcraft starflyer until we realized it doesn't have a furnace. With our two young children we're worried about them getting burnt by a portable heater. Does anyone have any suggestions on a portable heater that would work with our concerns? Also, does anybody know maybe the top three most inexpensive folding campers that have a furnace option? Thanks

A couple of things...are you looking to buy a new popup or a used one?  There are about a jillion (maybe even a gazillion) used popups out there with furnaces that one can buy for a lot less than new.

As for a portable electric heater that won't burn the kids, ceramic heaters typically only get hot right in front where the air blows out.  We use a couple of them and you can touch about anywhere on them without burning.  Then there are oil filled heaters.  They're pretty kid safe, but take a while to heat up.  But, of course, you will need access to 120 vac to use these.

If you only need heat at night while sleeping, electric blankets work well, too.  Then you jump out of bed in the morning and get the campfire going.

^
We paid 900 for our 85 Coleman with a working heater, and sold it to family for 500. That might be extreme but you get the idea.
(had a shower, water heater, stove, fridge, porta potty. It all worked except the oven.)

Okay, good info, thank you! I've been away from the computer a few days. Anyways, I didn't realize how many options there were to these pop ups. We generally dry camp in somewhat difficult terrain, so we've started looking at used off-road style campers. From what I've read, the fleetwood/coleman seem to be the consumer favorites in terms of quality and ease of use with the starcraft right behind them. My next question, is there really that big of a difference in quality between all the manufacturers? We've narrowed our search down between a 2008 Fleetwood Evolution E2 ($8900) and a 2008 Rockwood Freedom 190XR ($6900). The Fleetwood is a four hour drive and the Rockwood a 45 minute drive from where we live. The dealer of the Rockwood seems much easier to deal with and very motivated to sell, he told me "By God, just let me know what I need to do for you!" lol. The Rockwood was originally listed at $9,999 then dropped to $7,999 and now to $6,999. I can't find anything wrong with it, people around here just don't seem to be all that interested in pop up trailers. What are your opinions in terms of the two brands? Is it worth paying $2,000 more for the Fleetwood? The layouts seem pretty much the same and we like them both. Does the Rockwood have an unfavorable reputation. I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews, and the two are optioned similarly.
Thanks

I know this is a late reply, but assuming you are still looking for answers, here goes...
I bought an "off the showroom floor" Jayco 14' tandem axle PUP loaded except for A/C for approx. $8K back in 1994.  Wish I still had it!  A great unit.  Used it about 5 years and sold it in A-1 condition. 

Based on that, it sounds to me that the units you are looking at are a bit over priced.  Or the prices you are quoting are used dealer prices.  I would keep looking.

I know the Rockwood's origin, it's a great family tree. When the conglomerate Bangor Punta Corporation initiated a hostile takeover of Cris-Craft in the early '70's. It was a financial stretch for the first US mega conglomerate's very aggressive Board of Directors originally based in Bangor, Maine. They had already acquired Piper Cub, Smith & Wesson and Starcraft, etc. They needed cash, so they flushed a lot of high priced middle management in those companies.

Bill Christmas, founder of Starcraft, was a character! The story told to me by my crew leader was that for his daughter's wedding, he sent one of the boat division's 18 wheelers with two drivers to Golden CO, to pick up some of their always to be refrigerated "Mountain Spring Water." It wasn't sold east of the Mississippi at the time. They added some ice to keep it cold during the 1200 mile straight through run. They got stopped at a weigh station in IL, they were inspected and . . . a little lighter, made it to Goshen, the morning of the wedding. At least that's most of the story I was told. ;)

Bill Christmas, had built Starcraft on value for the $$$ with the Mennonite and Old Order Amish providing both the backbone and many floor workers in the workforce. His management team had worked their way into their positions. Observing his company being gutted, he confronted Bangor Punta's CEO and was fired on the spot.

Within 45 days Rockwood was up and running with the most of that team back producing good product. He eventually retired and there's been different owners come and go but I believe the Rockwood pop-up is still the same original Bill Christmas design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom