Cannot get RV to go into gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

12ItSun30A

I started the motor on my RV today, but when I put it into drive it would not move? What is going on with this? I remember someone saying something about when you disconnect the battery for any reason, you have to do something to get the RV's computer to reboot? I just got a new 2012 Itasca Sunova 30A. This past week I disconnected the batteries to check and top off the water levels. What do I need to do? I looked in my manual but cannot find any info.

HELP, Ron

You don't have to do anything to "reboot" the engine computer. It does that anytime it gets power. It may have forgotten whatever it learned about your driving style, but it is definitely up and running .  Your engine wouldn't be running if it wasn't.

Most likely it is an interlock with jacks or slides or brake, as others already mentioned.

Thanks. Ford F53 chassis.
I checked everything. Both slides are in. Emergency brake off. I put it on and took it off again. Jacks were not down. I turned off the engine, waited a min. and started it again. No it went into gear and is working. This was a strange thing.

Thanks again everyone.

One of the stupidest things I did was sit in a line up for a ferry trying to get a rental car into gear.  I had been driving it without difficulty, then the lights came on, press the brakes, which I did, and it slipped nicely into gear.  It is a safety measure placed on cars, so maybe it was the same on your coach.

Ed

You might check with your 'transmission guy' next opportunity you have and see if there
is a 'code' in your transmission.  Typically with some random failure/fault, the transmission will throw
a code into the memory bank to let us non droid life forms know what's going on.  I would certainly
do it if there is a repeat of this problem.

engine cold = fast idle
fast idle = transmission remains in neutral

ReM

Happened to me with a Workhorse chasis, but the tip that helped me came from a Ford owner.

Try turning the engine off, apply the braked very hard three times. Then start and see if it will come out of park. Mind did. I was told it's a safety thing involved with all of the logic trying to make sure steps in, jacks up, etc.

Hope it works for you too.
Max

There is a recall on the F-53 Ford chassis concerning the cable to the transmission breaking. Most likely your chassis falls in this recall..

Back
Top Bottom