Our 2nd RV trip to the US.. Las Vegas to Yellowstone 15 days return.Any tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryandAngela

This is our 2nd trip, we did a loop LA to LV and saw alot of the iconic spots, GC ,Zion, Antelope,Hoover,
Joshua Tree, Sedona.
This trip we would like to see the painted desert,monument valley and then head up to Yellowstone.
If you have any tips past monument valley to yellowstone and back to Vegas that would be helpful.
We have done plenty of trips in Australia and NZ if you need any tips there.
http://www.facebook.com/MotorhomeTravelAdvisoryServiceNzUsaAu?ref=tn_tnmn

thanks in advance
Gary

It is going to be extremely hot in an RV in Las Vegas in June. It averages over 100 degree F almost every day. You might want to consider flying into Denver instead.

One thing I recommend most highly is the Grand Teton National Park, just south of Yellowstone. I actually prefer it over Yellowstone, and Yellowstone is pretty spectacular.

Some of my favorites in the general area in no particular order:
While it may be too hot to stay, a drive throughThe Valley of Fire State Park, NV is beautiful.
In Page AZ - Antelope Canyon (also hike out to Horseshoe Bend)
Near Mexican Hat, UT Gooseneck State Park
Goblin Valley State Park, UT
Kodachrome Basin State Park, UT
Canyonlands National Park, UT
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
I'll second Tom's suggestion that you save time for the Tetons, particularly if you like to hike
Depending on how you head back from the Tetons/Yellowstone, WY, a stop at Craters of the Moon National Monument is interesting.

Thanks for the good advice ...plenty to google with. Just looking at monment valley, if you have any recommendations on where to stay and for how long . Can you do the loop drive in the RV , read the road is rough.

Can you do the loop drive in the RV , read the road is rough.

I have stayed at Monument Valley a couple of times.  The last time I was there I didn't think an RV would work well on the loop drive.  We did take a 2 wheel vehicle on the loop and it did fine.  It's a beautiful drive with lots of places to stop and just take in the views.

Marsha~

;) hey fellow aussies!

Last year we rented an rv with our kids for 6 weeks in the usa and canada. We did monument valley, for 1 night, stayed at gouldings campground - pricey! - and got some amazing photographs at sunset, just from the big parking lot, we didnt go down into the valley. We had though about doing a quided jeep tour into the valley, which may be a good option instead of taking the rv on the loop road.

From there we spent 2 days in moab (bout 3 hrs away) and did arches np and took a polaris ranger guided ride over the slick rocks on the hells revenge trail with THE MOAB COWBOY. Highly reccommend!! Moab definately was worth a stop and we would have loved to spend more time there.

We also stayed at gros ventre campground just outside of jackson.Spent 2 nights here, but deserved way more, and as others have said before me, many prefer it over yellowstone, it has just as great wildlife viewing opportunities.We also did a chuckwagon dinner in jackson at the BAR T 5 , which i cannot recommend highly enough, great food, wonderful entertainment and comedy  and music. The grand teton national park should definately not be missed before heading to yellowstone.

At yellowstone we spent 4 nights at madison campground. In hindsight, would have been better to spend 2 at madison and and maybe 2 at canyon. Yellowstone cold have kept me there for alot longer, but we had to keep moving to meet reservations in canada.

We are planning a trip back to the us june/july 2013, and are intending to allow some time again for the grand tetons and yellowstone again. Have fun! just realised that you guys are already on your trip.....hope my comments may help someone else checking out this thread!

Hi, Thanks for your tips, we did stay in moab for 2 days and had the best time in Arches and Conyonlands,
didnt make it to tetons , only as far as dinosaur and heading back to lv via Bryce and Zion.
cheers Gary

We are in LV now, leaving in the morning for Bryce. Really excited about see a part of the USA we have never been to. I know we will not see as much as we want but plan on being at Grand Teton/Yellowstone by the 5th of July. I have to be in VA the first weekend in August for a family reunion so in a sense we are on a limited schedule.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom